Tire suggestions for 2010 Nissan Frontier SE 265/70/R16

I've got a 2010 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab with 265/70/R16 111T - vehicle has 85,000km. These are the factory tires and still have lots of tread but, at 12 years old, I'd like to replace them.

I live in Victoria, BC, which gets tons of rain in winter but little snow. Summers are dry. We get no snow some years and get a few dumps of it other years. It gets down to freezing a number of times per year but usually not not much colder. The truck is mostly used around town and for the very occasional pickup of a load or two of gravel or soil so the tires won't be taxed in terms of being loaded down often. It will get a trip over the Rockies once every couple of years during the summer.

Given the climate and use case, the most important factor for me is wet traction. Good dry traction would also be nice, of course. Decent road noise performance is less important though quieter would be better. I'm not concerned with performance in snow but anything there would be a bonus. I put Michelin CC2 on our 2005 CR-V and absolutely love their performance in wet conditions but I do realize those aren't truck tires and aren't available in this size. I have positive thoughts about Michelin due to this experience but am otherwise not too familiar with the relative performance and advantages of the different brands. I don't care about one set or another having slightly better or worse mileage performance....

I’d take a look at the Vredestein Pinza AT for your Frontier. It’s the highest rated tire in this size on Tire Rack but is middle-of-the road price wise. It seems to be a good all-around performer in all the categories and as a bonus is 3PMSF rated.

Walmart has probably 20+ tire choices in this size for under $130/ea USD. Cooper Evolution HT2 for instance for $121/ea.

Walmart has probably 20+ tire choices in this size for under $130/ea USD. Cooper Evolution HT2 for instance for $121/ea.
OP is in Canada. I’m not sure if Walmart sells tires there.

The Kumho Crugen HT51 can be ordered through Canadian Tire and has a rebate at the moment. That’s another solid option.

^^^^^
I have the Kumho Crugen HT51s on my 2005 Frontier Crew Cab LE and they are an excellent match for the truck. Excellent wet/dry traction, comfortable highway ride dynamics and quiet tread pattern. It is an obvious knockoff of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S at ~2/3rds of the price.

• Best-in-class wet braking*
  • Based on internal wet braking test results compared to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, Yokohama Geolandar H/T G056 and Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, in the size 265/65R18 T
The Michelin Defender LTX M/S would be another top choice.
General Grabber HTS60 would also be on my list.. if a tiny bit under the other 2.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! I'll go through and look at these and see what I come up with. I don't think most Walmarts up here do tires at all but it's easy enough for me to check the American site and then find the same stuff up here at other locations.

^^^^^
I have the Kumho Crugen HT51s on my 2005 Frontier Crew Cab LE and they are an excellent match for the truck. Excellent wet/dry traction, comfortable highway ride dynamics and quiet tread pattern. It is an obvious knockoff of the Michelin Defender LTX M/S at ~2/3rds of the price.
And the Kumho HT51 is 3PMSF rated that the Michelin is not.

I do know many that use the Defender LTX M/S year round, discuss it is good in snow and use for plowing even though not rated.

I have the Defender LTX M/S as my 3 season from really good past experiences for my needs of excellent well rounded tire. The TerrainContact H/T many discuss as best wet grip but not good in snow.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S many like also but seems to get comments of a lot noisier over time.

started looking as 2 of my 4 are getting thin, i like real snow tires, but prices are crazy!! noise means nothing to me + since i drive minimally faster wear from softer snow tires with better traction means little. thanks for suggestions!!

The Michelin LTX M/S are great tires , I ran them for 60k miles on my tacoma and did excellent in rain , snow , and rode very smooth.

ordered the Kumho's from Tire Rack today with a nice $80 rebate! Tire Rack web stinks!! prolly because i didnt do what it wanted BUT what i wanted!!!

be aware electronically processed ONLY rebate, BUT tire rack customer service took care of that + a big thanks to then as an $80 rebate is not something to waste!!

Back