Skydiving Plane Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday a Cessna full of skydivers crashed shortly after takeoff. It appears that it had engine failure. Having flown 182's for skydiving, it is important to have the jumpers move as far forward as possible for takeoff. If they don't and you have engine failure, the plane will pitch up because of an aft CG, causing a stall spin. With the engine running, the aft CG is not an issue. A sad and avoidable disaster.

Shouldn't this be something covered in all pre-jump safety briefs? How many times has this happened in the past?

Originally Posted By: MotoGuzzi
Yesterday a Cessna full of skydivers crashed shortly after takeoff. It appears that it had engine failure. Having flown 182's for skydiving, it is important to have the jumpers move as far forward as possible for takeoff. If they don't and you have engine failure, the plane will pitch up because of an aft CG, causing a stall spin. With the engine running, the aft CG is not an issue. A sad and avoidable disaster.

Tullahoma?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I don’t enter a plane without >=two engines.

Good thinking. I'll need to consider that next time I risk my life in a one engine death trap

Originally Posted By: madRiver
I don’t enter a plane without >=two engines.

That just doubles the chance of a failure and then ads an asymmetrical thrust issue. Not a big deal at cruise but can be a handful at low speed and high power setting (takeoff).

As long as all the jumpers move as far forward as possible for takeoff, it's not an issue. Doing that keeps the CG within limits. This was done in the Beech 18 and DC3 jump planes also. It's up to the pilot to enforce the practice. At about 1500 ft agl, everyone can move back and at that altitude the pilot has time to react to an engine failure.

Well, my thoughts on this pale in comparison with news speculation...

Which, uh, seems to have focused on the, er, flux capacitor...

Originally Posted by Astro14
Well, my thoughts on this pale in comparison with news speculation...

Which, uh, seems to have focused on the, er, flux capacitor...

LOL Lordy, my day, no, my week is made. That's as bad as the crew manifest from the Asiana SFO crash. IF MEMORY SERVES.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back