Size issue with "Orange Can"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I did a double take when I saw the FRAM Extraguard oil filter compared to the Toyota oil filter. Same diameter and correct fitting, but the replacement FRAM filter is only HALF as tall. I checked the website 4 times to make sure I got the right model number. I even called FRAM. They reassured me it was right. The toyota filter apparently has some wasted space in it... its taller with less mesh filter, where the FRAM filter is shorter with more mesh filter... so it does the same job (or better) in less space. Go figure.

Link

Apparently, some who are using the recommended orange can for their new 2007 2.4L Camry are finding a surprise: the can is much smaller than the one they removed.

4967 is the recommended part. As a personal guess only, it appears that Toyota is *possibly* using the larger 3614 size as the factory and service filter, even though the aftermarket is continuing to use the smaller filter?
dunno.gif

The sump capacity listed in the manual is 4.4 qt, and those who are using the dealership filter are able to put in 4.4 qt (or so) to reach the full line. But the orange can users are only getting in 4 qts.

What's the story?

So I went to the website and looked it up, says PH4386 now. Wix also says 51396. Is this a recent change in part #s or have I been oblivious all along in assuming that the 4967 fits all 4-cyl Toyos?

I have 04 Camry 2.4 L 4 cyl. I have run across multiple listings for the oil filter for Fram, too. The books and computerized lookups at Advance, Autozone, and Walmart all indicate PH4967. Some of these are new catalogs, while some are old. All this while Fram's website, as you mentioned, indicates a PH4386. The STP filters at Autozone and ST at Wal-mart use numbering similar to Fram, as well. They point to the xx4967 number, too. However, Purolator, Mobil 1, K&N, and Bosch appear to be unchanged since I've been paying attention (8 mos or so).

Maybe the PH4386 numbers supersede the PH4967 numbers for the 4 cyl Toyotas now.
dunno.gif
I haven't bought any Frams, ST or STPs for Toyota for comparison. But, I don't recall seeing any at PH4386 in stock at Walmart, AA, or AZ; there are plenty of PH4967 or related numbers. Next time I'm in one of them, I'll make a point to look again.

I'd say it's not just the size of the filter, but the quality of the media that counts. The FRAM XG (silver color actually)has a good build and good media. Better than its orange counterpart.
dunno.gif

Perhaps this 4386 size is "better?" Anyone want to give it a try?
grin.gif

If I was to spend that much $$$ on a filter, the K&N, M1 EP, or EaO would get the sale.

Quote:

Perhaps this 4386 size is "better?" Anyone want to give it a try?
grin.gif

If I was to spend that much $$$ on a filter, the K&N, M1 EP, or EaO would get the sale.

I agree completely! That's why I have an EaO13 on my Odyssey.
patriot.gif

4386 = 14477 (Larger Toyota 4 cyls, 1/2 inch longer)
4967 = 14476 = M1-103 = HP-1003(Smaller Toyota 4 cyls, will fit larger Toyotas, duh!)
About time Fram started calling out the proper PN. For years they spec out 4967 for all Toyota 4 cyls.
Now if I can only get M1 in the proper size for my Camry...
drool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back