Single Coat vs Two Coat Paint after scratches

Hi Friends,
Please see if i am right about my belief.
A lot of discussion on the internet about how clear coat effectively blocks UV lights and protect paints.
But with solid, colors, i do not like clear coats. Just i do not see any advantage using them. And they have extra difficulty in paint matching.
By the time, with clear coat or single finish you still will have fading problem. Either clear coat will get scratched so it will fade, or the paint without clear coat will fade.
Both can be fixed by sandpapering and polishing. If basecoat under clearcoat fades, there is no way of fixing it without repainting it.

But i have seen another disadvantages with the clear coats, was that, most of the time you have to repaint the entire panel. Otherwise overlapping areas would be noticable.
Because you have to sandpaper nearby areas of the repaired panel, And clear coat cant hides sandpaper marks easily. So even if you cant see the sandpaper marks under clear coat, still micro scratches will change the color under the clear coat.
Single stage paints are more forgiving in this term. Just partial paint, then sandpapering and polishing result in great paint match

With glossy finish, there should be no visual difference between single stage and two stage paints.
But i think, by the time, once micro scratches accumulated on the paint, making finish look slightly matte, two stage paints behaves worse than single stage.
Because ones clear coat becomes matte due to micro scratches, and we see is more frozen grayish color of the clear coat than the pigment under it(Especially if clear coat is thicker).

Please correct me if i am wrong. i am planning to repaint my black car. So need suggestions :)

Pick a quality paint. Do extremely good prep work (most important part). paint, let dry, keep washed and waxed. Clear coat or no clear coat... your choice. :)

I have worked with clear coated paint and single stage polyurethane. Most of the paint on production cars has tradeoffs for environmentally friendly (water based) and optimized paint thickness vs cost. If the paint lasts > 5 years it is out of warranty so your problem. Saving a few mil in thickness saves millions on the bottom line. In reality with the exception of very few models paints last 10+ years even if not taken care of. Properly cared for paint jobs last the life of the car.

No matter what you apply it will oxidize over time. Whatever you put on you can take care of and polish until it goes off. I like clearcoat because it makes the paint shine like it is wet. I have also seen some battleship grey vehicles with clearcoat wet shine that look really good for being basic grey.

No matter what you apply it will oxidize over time. Whatever you put on you can take care of and polish until it goes off. I like clearcoat because it makes the paint shine like it is wet. I have also seen some battleship grey vehicles with clearcoat wet shine that look really good for being basic grey.
I have a 2009 car that is battleship grey also with clearcoat. I went thru a "car wash / hot wax" treatment one day and later was asked if my car was new! LOL It looked that good. But I am also lucky enough to fit both of our cars in the garage all the time. Makes a major difference.

Back