Since PYB is basically gone now..

I've been feeding my 322,000 mile Dodge Durango a diet of 5W30 PYB conventional with a Wix filter for the past year in an attempt to clean as much sludge as I can. I noticed now that Wal-Mart doesn't stock it any longer, and after investigating, evidently it's being phased out.

So what's the go-to now for an insanely high mileage vehicle with some sludge/varnish?

I really, really don't want to get into a synthetic for obvious reasons. That being said, right now I seem to have zero oil consumption and very minor if any oil leaking. I've been running Pennzoil Plat in my other cars but am seriously considering going back to Mobil 1. Does Mobil 1 have anything that's good at cleaning that you'd feel comfortable dumping into a 322K vehicle? Or would you go for something else?

Just for reference, I have a mechanical oil PSI gauge and I'm seeing about 12 PSI at hot idle and about 45 PSI at hot cruise on the highway.
During the summer, I would be running a 10w-30 in your high mileage Durango. Pick your brand. Might help that hot idle oil pressure.

Chevron Supreme, but you'll be getting a Synthetic Blend not Synthetic unless you use 10w30.
Quaker State All Mileage as well.

You should be fine using just about any oil, you can use the cheap Chevron supreme 5W30 that pops up on walmart.com for cheap, use 10W30 delo, use whatever you can find off the clearance rack, you could switch to Pennzoil high mileage, the possibilities are endless if it's made it to over 300k it really shouldn't matter what you use in it as long as you change it on time.

I've been feeding my 322,000 mile Dodge Durango a diet of 5W30 PYB conventional with a Wix filter for the past year in an attempt to clean as much sludge as I can. I noticed now that Wal-Mart doesn't stock it any longer, and after investigating, evidently it's being phased out.

So what's the go-to now for an insanely high mileage vehicle with some sludge/varnish?

I really, really don't want to get into a synthetic for obvious reasons. That being said, right now I seem to have zero oil consumption and very minor if any oil leaking. I've been running Pennzoil Plat in my other cars but am seriously considering going back to Mobil 1. Does Mobil 1 have anything that's good at cleaning that you'd feel comfortable dumping into a 322K vehicle? Or would you go for something else?

Just for reference, I have a mechanical oil PSI gauge and I'm seeing about 12 PSI at hot idle and about 45 PSI at hot cruise on the highway.
I'd run Mobil 1 5w30 high mileage. My son's Grand Cherokee's 4.7 seems to like it. It had slight oil consumption after a diet of bulk dino and cheap bulk filters until we bought it. After a couple OCI's of Mobil 1 HM 5w30, the consumption has stopped. We're doing 5k OCI's with a Fram Tough Guard filter and all is well. We bought it at about 104k miles and have about 130k on it now. I have no worries if he spaces it and goes beyond the 5k OCI on occasion. That oil will handle it just fine.

If you want less chance of sludge/varnish or want to clean some of that up, I'd go with Mobil 1 EP 5w30 or HM EP 5w30.

But I think you could run about any reputable oil in that engine and it'll do fine. You did get it to 322k. Congrats on that! Hopefully it'll go a lot further.

What engine is it?

Why not just stick with Pennzoil and use their black or platinum series of synthetics? They both do an amazing job in keeping internals clean and providing cooling and lubrication

For something a bit out of left field, a European-spec 5w-40 synthetic could actually be a good bet for this. The new QS Euro looks really nice on the VOA's and you should be able to find it on the shelf at walmart for a reasonable price.

European-spec oils tend to have more calcium and magnesium than what would be found in an oil that qualifies for Dexos1 Gen2 and these are your big detergent elements.

It's also very close to a 5w-30 at 12.06 cSt @ 100*C, so the affect on your oil pressure from jumping up a grade wouldn't be much. There are also Euro-spec 5w-30's if you want to stay in the same viscosity-- Pennzoil Platinum has one that I've seen in Walmart as well.

I still run my 1998 Volvo S70 N.A on Pennzoil 10w40 YB. 198,000 miles and right now at 2,000 miles since last oil change. The engine hasn't burned a drop. I've been running 4K OCI with no issues..Home Depot still sells the only 2 oils I use; Pennzoil YB and Formula Shell, both in 10w40..Volvos seem to like the heavier weight oils...I may experiment next oil change with QS 10w40 conventional which Home Depot sells as well...

Any name brand oil of API SN or SP would work fine, but I’m putting in another vote for GTX UltraClean. It’s my go to conventional, even though it’s now a synblend, like most others.

Back