Simple two oil stash

SR5

For ages I have been buying any good oil I see on sale at a good price. I now have quite an eclectic mix of jugs of various weights, grades and styles. Mineral, semi-synthetic and full synthetic from Valvoline, Mobil, Castrol, Shell, Penrite and Nulon.

I want to simplify down to two great oils that I regularly see on sale
- Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 full synthetic. A high zinc (~1000ppm), high TBN (> 10), high HTHS (~ 3.6 cP), low Noack (< 10%) Euro oil that carries the OEMs of MB 229.5 and BMW LL-01.
- Nulon 5W30 Long Life full synthetic. A resource conserving oil that carries Dexos1-Gen2, is listed on the GM web site as being officially approved and is made by a local Aussie company (recently acquired by Fuchs). This is a regular SAPS oil with lower TBN, HTHS, and Zinc than above, but LSPI safe and suitable for most general duties.

Both are Group III full synthetics (which I’m fine with) and both are 5W30 (which I’m also fine with).

Given I’m unlikely to buy a heavy duty diesel truck or new Porsche turbo anytime in the near future, I feel these two oils should simplify my stash and cover all likely applications. They are easy to find, easy to buy and often deeply discounted to get people in the door.

Just chatting, as the wife doesn’t seem to care, go figure.

We learn the truth through honest toil......that clean and light makes bright the life.
You've simplified your stash of oil......
...now rid yourself of that hideous witch who doesn't care a hoot about you or your needs. Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before you're mired in an endless labyrinth of skirting around each other's annoyances. Common impossible situations will seem like vacations if you don't get out now. Why in Heaven's name did you marry a chick who doesn't like motor oils in the first place? A masochistic thing?
OMG...the pain...the expense!

On a more serious note, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Castrol 0W-30 Euro or Mobil1 0W-40 Euro for my aged 5 cyl. Volvo and 3rd generation Mazda copy Ford Ranger 4.0l V6 SOHC. And a suitable 0W-20 for the Skyactiv Mazda3.

I don't go into oil details either.

Reactions: SR5
Just to set the record straight. My wife is a fantastic person, I feel very lucky to have her.

I just felt like talking oils with you guys & girls.

If I ever get through my stash and quit finding free oil, my plan is to switch all my vehicles to Supertech synthetic 5w-30.

That will be a few years though, it takes a while to get through 40 gallons of oil, even with 7 vehicles.

i'm at that point as well. i'm sticking to castrol euro 5w30 a3/b4 as long as it's available on my walmart shelves. for the 4Runner, Highlander and even the Corolla.

if they ever stop bringing it in, i'll fine myself using castrol euro or mobil 0w-40 on the 4Runner and Highlander.

my classic rover mini, which has a shared sump, will stay on conventional 20w-50 jaso ma2 motorcycle oil. either valvoline or castrol go, whichever is cheaper at time of purchase.

I should point out that last week at Autobarn, the Nulon 5W30 Long Life Full Synthetic was 60% Off, at $25 for 5L.

While this week at SCA, the Edge 5W30 A3/B4 is 50% Off, at $36 for 5L.

Both excellent prices for Oz.

Thanks for the post. Along that theme, I also went to the high side of cSt viscosity and based primarily on sales and past rebates, I use Pennzoil Euro 5w40 in the summer and Pennzoil Euro 0w30 in the winter. This is on my 6.0 LS engine with 212,000 miles.

Thanks for the post. Along that theme, I also went to the high side of cSt viscosity and based primarily on sales and past rebates, I use Pennzoil Euro 5w40 in the summer and Pennzoil Euro 0w30 in the winter. This is on my 6.0 LS engine with 212,000 miles.
What you call Pennzoil Euro 5W40, I call Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 and it’s definitely one of the best oils out there.

For those in Australia and for those who care (very few I know), right now both oils are half price.
The Nulon 5W30 Dex1-Gen2 at SCA in the big 6L jug.
The Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 at Repco in the regular 5L jug.

Sounds good, my 2 oil stash consists of Mobil 1 0w30 afe and Valvoline premium blue 10w30, if they work well on my next 2 ocis, I may just stick with them.

Back