Silicone ADBV and UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose this question could be in this forum or UOA but here it is; Could the silicone ADBV in oil filters skew the silicon readings in a UOA the way silicone gasket material can? Happy new year.

I would think it could ... hot silicon ADBV being swept over with oil any time the engine is running.

Silicone and silicon are two different things, however, silicone contains silicon atoms.
Blackstone's website states that silicon readings could be high in new engines due to silicone gaskets used in the manufacturing process. I'll fire them off an email and let everyone know what the response is so we can sleep better. lol

I'm sure hot oil will leech Si out of a silicone ADBV but will it be enough to skew the results on the instrument that blackstone uses? Not sure but probably will not be above "noise" levels.

Gee, I don't see how that could show up in an analysis. When an engine is assembled with silicone RTV it is much more likely that some of the uncured material could migrate/dissolve into oil and show up on an elemental analysis. However, the ADBV is certainly well cured before being assembled into the filter and I'd say it's highly unlikely that any would show up. At least not enough to get "out of the noise" as was suggested.

Got a reply from Ryan at Blackstone today. According to him it could effect the reading so it's a good idea to mention on the slip if you used a filter with a silicone ADBV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back