Silicon Valley Bank (SVB) Collapses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you ever heard of Silicon Valley Bank before this? Because I haven't. Just curious.
Yes of course. You should know at least the top 20 banks in the USA.

Quick duck-duck: https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/banking/largest-banks-in-the-us
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This from my bank watchlist, which is just a sampling of banks I watch.

1678718269569.png

You mean SVB or SIVB?

It seems odd that people never heard of them. But I guess I am more intune to financial stuff. Oddly I watch no financial shows on TV
Maybe you being on the West Coast?
I mean they are down on the list #16. I would think most dont even know the top ten, including myself if I had to name them.

*LOL* Breaking news now! *LOL* (if you remember my earlier post) Its fun...
View attachment 144838

Gosh, Bancorporation (Zion) is down just as much as Tesla for the one year period.🙃
I think it' too bad the Feds are talking about slowing the interest rate hikes. The hikes are what slows down the inflation and 5% CD rates are nice. I do want the Dow to go up too.

You mean SVB or SIVB?

It seems odd that people never heard of them. But I guess I am more intune to financial stuff. Oddly I watch no financial shows on TV
yes, ticker SIVB, which everyone has been writing as SVB I guess for Silicon Valley Bank. Never really heard of them until last week. 16th on the list, but I am guessing they were 30th a year ago? Never hit my radar for some reason. I don't watch financial TV either.

I think it' too bad the Feds are talking about slowing the interest rate hikes. The hikes are what slows down the inflation and 5% CD rates are nice. I do want the Dow to go up too.
Mostly MYTH!

It really depends on the type of inflation. Sure jacking rates will slow easy money borrowing, but if the inflation is mostly caused by the supply side of goods and services, it could actually be inflationary. I contend any slowing of inflation recently is just the supply side catching up. Micro example $7 2x4s are now $3 2x4's - this had nothing to do with your 5% CD

One drawback of jacking rates, is croaking banks that hold gov bonds and US (like you and I) paying even MORE on OUR NEW gov debt, LOT MORE

And suppliers will need to either borrow money at ST higher rates or produce less. Blunt tool indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back