Side by Side Headlights Better Visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorcycles with side by side headlamps are more visible to motorists than single lens bikes. But only if both headlamps are illuminated during normal operation, not the cheaper type some Asian brands utiltize where one is low beam and the other serves as high beam only. Plus, another downside to that flawed implementation is it looks stupid only one of two side by side head lights lit most of the time. But the bikes that have dual lo beams side by side, e.g. Harley Davidson Road Glide, Harley Davidson Fat Bob, or even Harley Davidson Road King when equipped with the Aux Light accessory bar and both of the smaller aux lights are lit along with the main single beam. Some Triumph bikes have dual illuminated lo beams, their Explorer, although it's a sort of hybrid side by side two beams in the same housing. Ducati Panigale and Multistrada, Yamaha FJR1300, a few Honda's, and a few more? How could I forget... Guzzi Stelvio, too.

Point is it gives the bike more presence against the background as far as oncoming traffic is concerned. MSF instructor long ago told me it's all about cross section that motorists eyes are unconsciously looking for. He was a retired police officer who'd done a fair portion of his career as a motor cop riding Harley's and said regarding Police bikes: "They'll look right through a Road King coming toward them..." and said that their dept used Electra Glide's for that reason due to the bat wing faring accounting for more cross section to be better noticed by motorists. Although this doesn't really reinforce my dual lo beam side by side headlamp "visibility" theory, except along the lines that the side by side arrangement creates a little better cross section when both are illuminated.

These sort of random ideas happen with my morning coffee ...
coffee2.gif

I believe everything on Earth exists on a scale or spectrum.

A semi coming towards you will scare you. A car less so. A bicycle less so.

A motorcycle is closer in "threat" to a bicycle than a semi.

That's how I've looked at it morning, noon and night.

Like this! :eek:)
I intentionally use "GOLD" color bulbs in AUX/FOG lamps on each side. The different color spectrum is easier to see during dalylight hours vs just one mass of single shiny white which can sometimes be less noticeable on cement pavement and the white only mixes in with other vehicles around you and harder to see then the color combination.

)I need to get a better photo :eek:( But with imagination you can see the headlight bright white, fog lamps golden yellow, followed by the deeper yellow/orange turn signals. looking for better photo ...if not will post later, sadly BITOG times out as far as editing this post.
Also all Road Kings come with the light bar.

Last edited:
My opinion is that two small headlights side by side might give people in cars a false sense of distance if they think those headlights belong to another car that is much farther down the road than a bike would be. Could cause cars to pull out prematurely, especially at night when all they can see is two headlights coming.

Anything you can do to be conspicuous, IMO. Headlamp modulators, extra lights, whatever is legal. My R1100 had the turn signal sockets replaced with dual filament ones and matching bulbs so there was yellow flanking it's single light that was modulated.
Lately I notice most adventure bikes with small LED lamps down low, causing a "hey look at me" jiggle or wave as the front wheel moves with the road surface.
I have fender LED strips on my Spyder. Those and fog lamps define the width of the vehicle.

My opinion: It often doesn't matter what you do, braindead cagers will still not see Motorcycles. So always ride with the assumption you are invisible.

They can be pretty obnoxious. just like the bro truck with light bars

you get some dipsheep who throws in 100w HID bulbs "so people can see him"
Meanwhile they are aimed super high because they were aimed without a passenger or they just dont care because.. when you have 5-6 lights you only need 1 aimed right to see the road the other 4 can just blind people.
Forget night.. sometimes they are so bright they blind you during a cloudy day let alone night.

Same Pylon who thinks its cool to rack their pipes in residential neighborhoods at 2am during the week.
because don't you know "loud pipes save lives"

And we wont go into illegal lane splitting and general aggressive turds.

Idiots arent defined to cars only.. of course darwin takes care of the really stupid ones alot faster.. smaller margin of error on a bike.. you dont get a dent.. you get dead.

P.S. I am not responding to anyone in this thread.. just a general rant.

Originally Posted By: Rand
They can be pretty obnoxious. just like the bro truck with light bars

you get some dipsheep who throws in 100w HID bulbs "so people can see him"
Meanwhile they are aimed super high because they were aimed without a passenger or they just dont care because..

Same Pylon who thinks its cool to rack their pipes in residential neighborhoods at 2am during the week.
because don't you know "loud pipes save lives"

And we wont go into illegal lane splitting and general aggressive turds.

P.S. I am not responding to anyone in this thread.. just a general rant.

I'll accept it's a rant. I have the same gripes as you. 50 plus years on some form of motorcycle. Dual sport, MX, street, sport tour, touring, now a Spyder. (Save any comments about it not being a motorcycle... I've heard them all.)
As I stated... whatever is legal.
I know in my state, bro truck lights aren't legal unless off-road. After-market HID's in most bikes are illegal as well. And from the pilot's perspective, do not provide useful light for picking out road hazards, or animals off the shoulder.
Numerous studies show loud pipes do not save lives, and can in fact increase risk for the rider. I do think a moderate increase in noise for personalization should be allowed, ( there are a lot of really sweet sounding pipes that do not offend) but even current fed laws cover tampering with an exhaust with a catalyst, and again in my state, modifications to increase noise are just plain illegal. To get the cops to enforce the law is a different matter entirely.
Lane splitting is just risky and crazy, I've never been a fan. Too many preoccupied people changing lanes with no signal, or texting.
And I hate wheelie riders, aggressive riding, and idiocy in general.
Why?
Because they turn nice folks like you into unpredictable folks that I'm on the road with when I'm rolling along, flowing with traffic, using signals, riding with caution, dressed in gear, and presenting a positive image. I cannot do enough to undo what one dumb wheel-stander coming around you at 80 on the highway has done to your judgment system, and the way you feel, which is pretty obvious from your rant.
It's OK, I accept the risk, know it well, and have done what I can do to protect myself. MSF beginner and advanced class, lots of miles, always geared for the crash, not the ride, and so far, with a lot of luck, training, and guardian angels, have only had one scuff in 53 years, and it was because I was wrong, not the cage driver.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
My opinion is that two small headlights side by side might give people in cars a false sense of distance if they think those headlights belong to another car that is much farther down the road than a bike would be. Could cause cars to pull out prematurely, especially at night when all they can see is two headlights coming.

I never thought of that. Good observation. I can see that happening, especially with only a quick glance before pulling out while they're yacking on the smart phone at the same time.

I agree.
These are all very visible, DOT and Legal.
Orange turn signals, gold/yellow running fog lights, white headlight.

As we know, sometimes hard to capture lighting with a camera, cell phone no less.
The back lights are a much brighter red color too.
(ignore the bike needs a wash please)

Last edited:
I can agree with you that the side by side with only one as a normal and one as the high beam is not very good for night driving. My Ducati 996 (would not consider that a "cheap asian brand" haha) has this and i have to drive with my brights on as much as i can. Even during the day with the single light people have told me i am not very visible so i use my brights during the day as well. I wonder why they chose the side on the outside to be the reg beam and the inside to be the high? I should look into upgrading these but i also understand these were not designed to be touring around, especially at night.

On every street bike I've owned, I've always adjusted the headlight up just shy of where cars would flash me at night. Also results in much bettet long range road visibility at night with the high beam on.

I will miss the LED beams in the Multistrada I had. Side by side dual lo beams dual hi beams, either mode was like an arc welder bead in a reflector housing. If I had the suspension in the stiffer sport mode, it created just enough jitter going down the road to practically make the multi look like an emergency vehicle approaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back