Should you do a short oil change periodically?

Because oil is (usually) changed much more regularly than trans fluid.

I don't do 3x changes on my Honda cars just because they are on a regular schedule and don't go 60-100k on the trans fluid. (Neither does the Ranger for that matter, but I don't think Ford prescribes a 3x)
The first point is wrong and irrelevant. The simple reason that trans fluid changes are repeated is that about a third of the fluid stays in the trans. You are diluting that down with new fluid.

Like once every 50k do a short 1-2000 mile run to help clean things out?

I have done shorty's on ODPE that were neglected** to good effect. I think I also did that once or twice over so many decades on a passenger car or LT also to good effect; at least in my mind. But doesn't everything happen in your mind?

** It really wasn't neglected, just not a lot of hours on the machine but a lot of years sitting.

I had to say that, as I don't want the greaybeards pulling my member card :)

Short oci not required but if you want to and it makes you feel better, that’s all that matters.
It gets changed regularly mileage wise, but it does a lot of city driving, so not uncommon to have 350-400hrs on an oil change. They call for 15k mile oci now for the 6.7 cummins. I stick with 7500 miles

Other than our of boredom, no
1705519924219.jpg

I can't see where this would be helpful on an engine that is well maintained. You're wasting time and throwing away good oil *LONG* before the oil is fit for disposal.

Now on an engine that has been abused / neglected and is sludged up? Yeah maybe it's worth it to run a couple of short OCIs to try and flush junk out of the engine. But as others have said there are products designed specifically for this purpose anyhow.

I would say that I can't believe the pushback on this, but.... this forum :rolleyes:

To the OP-

I feel like I understand what you're asking and potentially trying to accomplish and I see no harm in it. In fact, I have done it myself and actually SEEN real results - I notice the oil stays "cleaner" much longer into a 5-6k mile OCI afterwards.

I have seen this countless times and I have also seen it make no difference in certain cases.

IMO, it will assist in removing more particles that might be suspended or don't make it out during an oil change. Not every drop of oil comes out. There's probably over a quart in most engines that is sitting in the oil pan (yes, in the oil pan) and other galleys/etc in the engine.

I would say that I can't believe the pushback on this, but.... this forum :rolleyes:

To the OP-

I feel like I understand what you're asking and potentially trying to accomplish and I see no harm in it. In fact, I have done it myself and actually SEEN real results - I notice the oil stays "cleaner" much longer into a 5-6k mile OCI afterwards.

I have seen this countless times and I have also seen it make no difference in certain cases.

IMO, it will assist in removing more particles that might be suspended or don't make it out during an oil change. Not every drop of oil comes out. There's probably over a quart in most engines that is sitting in the oil pan (yes, in the oil pan) and other galleys/etc in the engine.
So, it comes down to the goal - why do a short change?

If, it is cleaning, then, the question becomes - did it need to be cleaned?

If, as you suggest, it is flushing out old oil, then the question becomes - of what benefit is that?

I don’t think clean oil on the dipstick, staying more translucent, or whatever, is a goal, and I am not convinced that oil color determines anything - other than satisfying some OCD.

So, back to - what is the goal?

If the OP wants to clean his engine up, then use an oil that accomplishes that. Specific goal. Focused action. I can support that.

If the goal is a cleaner dipstick for longer? Well, OK, that may be a goal for some folks, but I don’t see that it accomplishes anything, other than wasting the money on an oil change.

I man not a cheapskate - I am happy to spend money on things that I want or things that accomplish a specific purpose. I run HPL oil for a variety of reasons, and I am happy to spend the money. But I am very clear on why I am spending the money.

The “extra oil change” is spending money without a good reason why.

Never experienced nasty oil draining off my oil pans so in my case no. If someone saw pitch black oil in his engine after a short interval or nasty things under the valve cover sure, you could try one or more short OCIs

All depends on what you're trying to achieve. All things considered - I just keep my normal oil change intervals on the short end, rather than extending it and then trying to fix it with 1-2 short OCIs.
Regardless, here are a couple videos applicable to the topic.

The engine flush guy is performing "experiments" with every imaginable variable changing with each iteration, and offers a conclusion at the end of the video as a finding. He ignored science, and didn't find anything.

So, it comes down to the goal - why do a short change?

Possibly peace of mind. How about removing some sort of stress from an individual who would be more comfortable with their schedule and level of maintenance on their vehicles, combating a memory or story from their past where something failed?

It's not costing the vehicle an arm and leg. It's not taking hours to perform. It's not costing or bothering you anything.

Have you ever done anything pre-emptively to clear your mind of a worry?

Possibly peace of mind. How about removing some sort of stress from an individual who would be more comfortable with their schedule and level of maintenance on their vehicles, combating a memory or story from their past where something failed?
In other words, a placebo.

It's not costing the vehicle an arm and leg. It's not taking hours to perform. It's not costing or bothering you anything.

Have you ever done anything pre-emptively to clear your mind of a worry?
OK - then do a UOA and see how the oil he has, and his schedule and level of maintenance, is working.

Get real data for your $25.

Instead of nebulous, feel good, “peace of mind”.

That way, the money is spent on a definable goal, with quantifiable results, instead of being wasted on feelings.

Back