Should you do a short oil change periodically?

Here’s a thought experiment. It’s early and I haven’t had my coffee yet, so I make no claims this is anything worthwhile, but perhaps it’s a novel way to frame it:

First change mileage: 5000
Total oil capacity: 5qt
Change amount: 4qt
Old oil remaining: 1qt, 20%
Average mileage on oil after change: 1000

Second oil change mileage: 2000
Average mileage on oil: 3000
Average mileage on oil after change: 600

Here we see a 40% improvement of the average age of the oil in the sump. Is that meaningful? No clue. Did I even do the numbers right? Dubious. Discuss.

Here’s a thought experiment. It’s early and I haven’t had my coffee yet, so I make no claims this is anything worthwhile, but perhaps it’s a novel way to frame it:

First change mileage: 5000
Total oil capacity: 5qt
Change amount: 4qt
Average mileage on oil after change: 1000

Second oil change mileage: 2000
Average mileage on oil: 3000
Average mileage on oil after change: 600

Here we see a 40% improvement of the average age of the oil in the sump. Is that meaningful? No clue. Did I even do the numbers right? Dubious. Discuss.
I am getting 2,750 average mileage on oil on the second scenario. I hesitate to even respond to this note, which I don't think goes anywhere.

It's a good way to get rid of leftovers - if your ODPE are already satisfied.
Haven't felt the need with the latest oil formulations and my running of quality synthetics exclusively.

The days of Mobil Clean 5K and Formula Shell API SL conventional seem so long ago.

The engine flush guy is performing "experiments" with every imaginable variable changing with each iteration, and offers a conclusion at the end of the video as a finding. He ignored science, and didn't find anything.
It's more about the fact that a single shortened oil change wouldn't remove all of the dark used oil out of the engine, as it clearly takes multiple oil changes by both of those video posters to achieve clear appearing oil.

It's more about the fact that a single shortened oil change wouldn't remove all of the dark used oil out of the engine, as it clearly takes multiple oil changes by both of those video posters to achieve clear appearing oil.
The first video makes that point. The second video is ostensibly about oil flush products and runs "experiments." It's a mess.

Like once every 50k do a short 1-2000 mile run to help clean things out?
The only time I would consider a short oil change, if I was prepping for a for a long trip that I might push past the regular change interval. I'd rather turn and burn for days on end with fresh oil. I also got into the habit of pull the dipstick to check volume and color every other fill up.

Never experienced nasty oil draining off my oil pans so in my case no. If someone saw pitch black oil in his engine after a short interval or nasty things under the valve cover sure, you could try one or more short OCIs
Is your profile picture your daily driver?

Should you do a short oil change periodically?​

Like once every 50k do a short 1-2000 mile run to help clean things out?
I do! Guessing once every 6-7 oil changes.
If I see black oil on the dipstick within 1k of my last oil change, that's when I change it quickly.

I like seeing clear oil for around 500 miles - then amber brown oil for the next 500 miles.

Doing a short oil change once in a while, puts me back on track, for knowing my Hyundai or Kia dealership can pull the valve cover off for an inspection and see a very clean engine - so clean enough where they won't even ask me for prior oil change receipts, should my engine suddenly grenade and some of these HyunKia engines do exactly that. .

Back