a maintenance list of infrequent infrequent items

Status
Not open for further replies.
id like to make a list consisting of items NOT commonly found on factory service interval guides. wel all know to change the oil filter and sparkplugs and tyres and alignments. timing belts, etc. but what about things that need periodic maintenance that factory service manuals ignore? i know there was a recent thread on conventional maintenance items. id like to make a list of infrequent items that most people and factory guides ignore.

things like lubing the window regulator mechanisms. or changing the power steering fluid. most of us dont believe in lifetime atf and filters. flushing the brake fluid. maybe even greasing the suspension and squirting some grease up in the steering rack?

so i submit the start of the list of uncommon maintenance items.

1. every 50K miles, pull the door panels off and clean /relube the window regulators, motors, and mechanisms.
while you in there, clean and relube the door stops and hinges. this helps the windows to go up and down with less strain on the motor. also helps the regulator mechanisms to last longer since they are under less force.

2. change the power steering fluid every 50K or less. its a small ammount of fluid, normally very cheap and easy to do.

3. buy a pencil grease gun adapter and slide it under the driver and passenger side rack and pinion boots to give the steering rack a good greasing. this does wonders for preventing inner tie rod end failure and maintaining sightness and preventing rack and pinion slop.

3 and a half. most rack and pinion have an adjusting set screw and locknut on the outside to set the preload between the rack and pinion. (akin to the old worm gear drives) but its not considered a maintenance item. submit that this should be done once in a while, probably whenever the rack is greased.

4. once a year have you neighbour or wife come by one evening and make sure ALL youre stop lamps and running lamps are working when you press the brake petal. or use a 2x4 to press down on the petal if no one likes you enough to help.

5. minimum 50K mile service interval on the atf of ANY transmission no matter what fluid it uses, even if its a fill for life model.

6. manually check and adjust the drum brakes on the rear of a car once a year. i have NEVER seen a self adjusting drum brake that DIDNT quit self adjusting after a few years of service. every self adjusting drum brake i have ever seen could use a few more clicks to make the drums engage sooner.

7. every 50K, pull the parking brake cables and clean/ relube them on a bench with an oil can and a few rags.

8. bleed a quart of brake fluid through the brake system every 2 years.

8 and a half. pull the caliper slide pins and clean/ relube them. can also clean and relube the drum brake adjusters and ebarke cams.

so who wants to add to the list of stuff nobody does but everyone should do once in a while.

Nice list there. Especially for a bum like me who is just learning my way through a lot of this stuff. These are items that your dad should tell you. I enjoy hearing some items that really are pretty simple, regardless of the experience of the user.

Thanks.

Replace differential oil and transfer case oil. Many cars don't mention it, but I can't count the times I have seen axle shafts destroyed by inadequate lube. Many FWD cars by Toyota have a separate differential that takes ATF.

Inspect for nails and pick out gravel and glass from tires when they're off for rotating. While wheels are off, check brake pad wear and ensure wear is equal inside to outside and L to R.

Grease battery terminals and check electrolyte levels.

Exercise ABS when it rains by locking up brakes a couple of times at low speed and with nobody behind you.

Clear sunroof and AC condensation drain lines.

It's on the list, but never done: Check your spare tire's inflation.

Weatherstripping needs attention of some sort as a car ages... You could wax the metal it touches so it doesn't stick, and/or roll the window down and retension its frame inward so it puts more pressure on the stripping.

Inspect and if needed replace metal brake lines, they seem to be the first thing to rust out and blow.

Make sure the wiper arm alignment is properly parallel to the windscreen glass so the blades don't chatter. Pull the arms, if they're painted black, sand them down, and repaint the black so they don't reflect sun in the driver's eyes.

Clean the tape deck heads or cd player laser pickup.

Thoroughly clean the inside glass-- side glass, rearview mirrors. Roll down the windows halfway and get the top 1/2 inch that's covered by the door frame felt.

Every spring make sure your electric radiator fan comes on, either with the AC or if you let it sit idling long enough. Sometimes the motors freeze up after months of misuse and can cause overheating unexpectedly.

Quote:

It's on the list, but never done: Check your spare tire's inflation.

I cannot stress this one enough. I was washing the Saturn back in the summer and decided to check the pressure in the spare. It had only been used once when the car had 800 miles on it and hasn't been touched since.

Recommended inflation pressure was 60 psi.

I checked the pressure, and it read 5 psi!
crazy.gif

Quote:

PCV valve change every 60k.

Quote:

Change the fuel filter

For vehicles that have them, that's good advise.

Mine does not have a PCV valve (crank case is vented into the intake tube) or a fuel filter. If I want to change the fuel filter I have to buy a new fuel pump
smirk.gif

Not only check the spare, but those vehicles which have the spare mounted underneath probably should have the cable holder greased. I check mine on the Windstar every six months and there's always a ton of road gunk covering the spare.

Take off the screws or bolts or nuts holding the license plates and grease them and replace. I have had them snap and what a pain. The dealer sells you a $25K car and puts on the license plates with the cheapest screws they can find.

Clean the EGR every couple of years.

Quote:

Quote:

PCV valve change every 60k.

Quote:

Change the fuel filter

For vehicles that have them, that's good advise.

Mine does not have a PCV valve (crank case is vented into the intake tube) or a fuel filter. If I want to change the fuel filter I have to buy a new fuel pump
smirk.gif

Are you sure the only fuel filter is in the tank and part of the fuel pump? Most fuel pumps have a sock like thing on their intake to filter out rust particles and dirt, but thats only so that the pump did not clog or jam. There is normally a second a much finer filter between the pump and injectors.

Also change the thermostat every few years as the engine really runs better and less emissions if its always at the right temp.

Oil the gas fill flap hinges as when mine got really stiff, the flap got ripped off trying to open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back