Should Water Pumps be Replace as a Preventative Maintenace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they're under the timing belt, it's often easier to do when the timing belt is being done.

You add a half hour (water pump) to a job of several hours (timing set) - it saves you in the long run.

Last edited:
Maybe a good idea with those miles and age. Not to mention it seems the water pumps in Toyotas of that era were kind of weak. So if keeping it long term I would consider it. Even more so if you can diy. Have an 05 Matrix that needed the pump changed right at the 60k mark when the powertrain warranty expired but they covered it. Been fine ever since at 153k.

I'd replace it, next time you're due for a coolant change. I'd replace it along with the thermostat, if you haven't already done so, and use OE. Some of the aftermarket water pumps can be real garbage. I always go OE for thermostats.

Depends on how the fail. Normally they give you plenty of warning when they start to weep. If the plastic impellers disintegrate then ya I'd get it done.

I did on my echo somewhere in the high 2xx,xxx range since the thermostat was being changed and told the shop to keep the old one.

At least on my Echo, i could have reboxed the used one and sold it as new.

I have no intention of changing them as maintenance on either of my existing Toyotas.

If I still had my 77 Regal, i would.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bullet
Vehicle is a 2007 FJ Cruiser with 138K miles.

Although I wouldn't change an accessory belt driven water pump unless it was showing signs of trouble.

A vehicle with a timing belt gets a new OE pump with every timing belt.

Specifically for your FJ with the 4.0 I'd run the OE pump until it gives you a reason to change it. When you do change it, use an OE Toyota pump or an Aisin.

They start to drip or weep when they are ready to go, if you ever come back to your car and see coolant and everythin looks tight and it seems to be coming from the water pump itself then get it changed soon.

Wait for the weep, change it and save your engine.

I discovered that the GMB water pump sold by World Pac outlets were fine after 2 timing belts. However, I changed just because I was in there. The BMWs of yore had a bone simple low coolant light sensor. If you melted down an E 28 engine, you hadn't oughta be driving anything with an engine.
grin2.gif

If you live in the boonies or your kid is taking it to collage replacing it now would he a good idea. If you use it to knock around town I would let it ride. Ours has 155k on it and ok so far.

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
Vehicle is a 2007 FJ Cruiser with 138K miles.

Although I wouldn't change an accessory belt driven water pump unless it was showing signs of trouble.

A vehicle with a timing belt gets a new OE pump with every timing belt.

Specifically for your FJ with the 4.0 I'd run the OE pump until it gives you a reason to change it. When you do change it, use an OE Toyota pump or an Aisin.

Just an FYI, the OE pump IS an Aisin.

I only do that job if its driven by the timing belt and i'm in there anyway and then with only an OE or OE manufacturer pump. Accessory belt driven, if it feels solid and has a dry weep hole it stays.

Originally Posted by Trav
I only do that job if its driven by the timing belt and i'm in there anyway and then with only an OE or OE manufacturer pump. Accessory belt driven, if it feels solid and has a dry weep hole it stays.

Agreed. I do it when I change my timing belts and normally use Toyota / Aisin parts. I also change all the accessory belts (PS, ALT, AC) at that time as well. About every 90-100K.

Not at that mileage unless it's part of a timing belt job. Typically it's not a sudden failure.

The pump in my 2002 Ranger started leaking bad from the weep hole around 195K miles. There was about a week of warning where I could still drive it, but it got worse by the day. The old pump was spotless inside, the impeller looked new, it was just a seal failure.

I think my 1994 Explorer, which is approaching 250K miles, probably has the original pump. If it has been replaced, it was a very long time ago, long enough to look completely untouched. It was replaced sometime before 170K in my same year Ranger with same engine, so life expectancy varies a lot.

Monitor your temp gauge and visually inspect it, but I would only proactively replace it as part of another service.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll let it go a while till the fall or maybe around 150K miles.

I've never changed one out as part of PM. 150k miles isn't that many miles.

Yeah, 150k is too early too if there's no reason. When you check the oil, just look down at the pump and see if there is coolant/coolant staining visible. If not, keep going.

If engine temps are normal and your heat works fine, it's pumping coolant. I think impeller failure is a BMW and severe neglect thing, not something typical.

Originally Posted by Astro14
If they're under the timing belt, it's often easier to do when the timing belt is being done.

You add a half hour (water pump) to a job of several hours (timing set) - it saves you in the long run.

^^^ This is the only time for me ^^^

Almost 212,000 on my ‘07 Tacoma with that same engine, and still going strong. Just did a 1200+ mile trip in it, too.

In fact, the truck is still on its original alternator, starter, fuel pump, PS pump, and A/C components, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back