Should I replace the Sonata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Trying to figure out the gamble with my Sonata. I originally got a 2015 because at the time it was believed they weren't really affected with the defective engines. Well, sounds like they are, but possibly might not be to the extent of the 2011-2014 models.

Not sure if it's worth trading for something else, or if it's worth the gamble to replace the engine if it goes. I haven't asked my mechanic yet how much it is to put in a used low-mileage engine yet. Might be pretty reasonably priced.

I got the car for a great deal, and it's been really reliable since.

I need to get the recall done for the software flash for the knock sensor, which will give me warranty until 120k miles. That'll give me about 7 months to come up with a plan to either keep or replace.

I'm kind of leaning towards keeping it. If the engine were to blow, say at 150k miles, I could have a low mileage engine swapped in for $3,500 maybe? Then rinse and repeat and if that one blows too after another 100k miles (I don't see me keeping it that long) then call it a good run and move on.

What are your guys thoughts?

I'm unfamiliar with how the 2.4L Hyundai 'blows' but a compression check to verify all is good would be first.
Might have 100k more in it. Mechanic's tests & opinion required.

The "update" will let you know if its ready to go. As will a sudden increase in oil consumption. While there are several instances of engine failures, not every one is a bomb. If you have gone over 100K and its still going strong I'd say run with it.

Do you otherwise like the car?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

This. If you otherwise like it, I'd keep it. If it's going to keep you up at night, ditch it for a manual Corolla hatchback
wink.gif

What is the current value of the Sonata today with no issues? Personally I think I wouldn't want to dump $3500 into any repair that large. I might take your chances and hope you got a good one.

I just saw a post the other day about a guy with a Hyundai Tucson that blew his engine and it wasn't repaired under warranty. He put a used engine in and that motor blew within a short time.

Here is a link.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/hyundai-kia-engine-failure-recalls-1.5382373

Although when they blow up it's spectacular, most don't. I wouldn't unload it if it's not giving you trouble, especially since you'll have a (slightly) extended warranty.

Last edited:
Keep it and get the recalls done. Do 5,000 mile oil changes and run premium gas. That's what we did with our 2013 Optima 2.4. We never had any problems with the car. My oil choice was 5w30 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and OE filters. We traded for the 2019 VW Tiguan.

Would replacement engines be potential time bombs as well? You have 7 months to sort it out, and you've liked that Sonata a lot, maybe see what it would take to move up a year or 2 and get another Sonata.

You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Yes. One of my top things I need for a car is for it to be comfortable, and it far exceeds that. Power is decent, fuel economy is good, reliability so far is great.

Why do you assume that low mileage perfectly good used engines will be readily available to replace an engine known to be defective?

I'd assume that any junkyard engine is likely to be defective as well.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Why do you assume that low mileage perfectly good used engines will be readily available to replace an engine known to be defective?

I'd assume that any junkyard engine is likely to be defective as well.

There's 30 of them from wrecks on www.car-part.com in Phoenix right now. Looks like $1,000 for the engine.

Not sure how many hours it is to replace an engine, but my mechanic is $90 an hour.

I would just dump it and get something else. I'd wait for the spring summer though, prices are usually better in nicer weather unless your weather is good all the time. Take your time shopping and when you find something nicer, get it.

I fail to see how a car can be labeled reliable when it's known to blow engines.

Also in terms of replacing engines, I'd shop around for that if you decide to keep it. I did find that there were mechanics that specialized in that and they charged anywhere from $750-$1000 to drop in a new engine. A mechanic that doesn't do it all the time, I could see charging more.

No offence, but why are you stressing about the car giving up?

You got a good price on it, you like it, and it has given you NO indication it is going to have a problem any time soon.

Just keep enjoying it, and the low cost of ownership it gives until something changes.

It sounds like you WANT something to go wrong with it - why create a problem, when there is none?

Yeah, some have problems, but a lot go 200k plus without a whimper. Give yours the benefit of the doubt, please!

Originally Posted by addyguy
No offence, but why are you stressing about the car giving up?

You got a good price on it, you like it, and it has given you NO indication it is going to have a problem any time soon.

Just keep enjoying it, and the low cost of ownership it gives until something changes.

It sounds like you WANT something to go wrong with it - why create a problem, when there is none?

Yeah, some have problems, but a lot go 200k plus without a whimper. Give yours the benefit of the doubt, please!

If you read my original post, you'd see I'm leaning towards keeping it.

These engines often times don't give indication of failure before it's too late.

I'm not stressing about it. It's a gamble, and I'm asking for help weighing the odds.

If it requires higher than 87 octane and lspi events are occurring on uphill climbs, sell it.

I waited until 2019 to buy my new 2.4 Hyundai Santa Fe. Waited until 2020 to buy my wife's newly redesigned exterior with 2.0 non-turbo / non-GDI 2020 Kia Soul
Glad I wait, for both are fabulous vehicles for the low money.

Last edited:
Run and maintain it until something needs replaced.

You still have the Jeep and Therefore will have transportation while it's getting repaired too.

If the engine needs replaced down the road, I'd entertain doing the work yourself. Save some money and once again, you have the Jeep as a spare vehicle.

Just keep driving it until it acts like its going to have problems and get unload it. You could get a few more years out of it if you are lucky. You will know when it's time to unload it. I wouldn't replace the engine since the cost is not worth it in most cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back