Questions for Grand Prix Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you want a 6 cyl but I will add that you ,and anyone else, should avoid any GM Quad 4 engine at all costs. Early 90's GP's had these DOHC 4 cyl engines. My '90 ran great and hard with pretty decent MPG, but once you hit 50K on the head gasket (even after replacement) it's gone.
crushedcar.gif

A mid to late '90's GP with the 6 cyl should be great.

I've had no engine issues with my 98 GT that is currently at 114,000 miles. I've run GC, Amsoil S2k, Amsoil ATM, Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. My best UOA came from GC, but they all were fine really.

Two miles per gallon form the u0bend? I've never heard of that type of result. The u-bend is actually a minor problem when compared to the restrictive downpipe. Both are stock on my car.

I get about 22 mpg of mixed driving with my car. Around town, I look at 18-20 based on traffic and my right foot. On the highway, I can usually get 25-26 mpg.

I have higher ratio rockers and an SLP cold air induction kit, so that probably has an effect on the gas mileage.

No one mentioned anything at all about quality problems Pat. I believe most replies involved people with cars from 2000 onward. The intake manifold gasket-coolant leak thing appeared to be more with the 3100 than the 3800, and I think they said that had been rectified in the more recent model years. Anyone reading this - feel free to step in and correct me.

No doubt, things must come up with the occasional sensor failure and that sort of thing. But I saw nothing like the response you would get if you were to ask about the Chrysler 2.7L V6, where you would get 500 replies saying "don't do it".

I recall one person saying that it was the only car he had owned that he would ever consider owning again.

Quote:

Quote:

Pat,

I too asked for opinions of the Grand Prix on here a few weeks ago. I got nothing but positive responses from everyone. There was unanimous opinion that the 3800 is the way to go. Everyone seemed to report excellent gas mileage for a car/engine combo of this size.

Actually that topic prompted me to expand the inquiry a little bit to find out more of the quality of the car itself, not including the work horse pulling it. Are there any tranny issues with them that you know of, aside of, apparently, the '97 model?

Quote:

It sounds like you want a 6 cyl but I will add that you ,and anyone else, should avoid any GM Quad 4 engine at all costs. Early 90's GP's had these DOHC 4 cyl engines.

No they did not. To my knowledge the only W-body to have a Quad-4 was the Cutlass Supreme. I think you're confusing it with the Grand Am. Either way were talking about 97+ GPs, which have either a 3.1 or 3.8.

-T

Quote:

LS and GT should have the same 3.29 gear ratio.

Now that you say that I can't find proof either way.
dunno.gif
I know the GP SE with a 3.8 has the 2.93 axle, as do other Buick models.

Either way I wouldn't overlook the Regal, it's also a good looking nice car.

-T

My mom has a 1995 GTP (Supercharged, and these all come loaded; leather, etc.) she got it for 4995 about 1 year ago. Excellent value for the money! It's fast! Yeah the 3800 seems strong; does not consume or burn oil at all, and it has about 130K on the clock.

However, the supercharger was going out; got it replaced with the warranty she bought. Although I think that it may just have been the coupler in the supercharger, which is about a $20 part. But the dealership I think replaced the Supercharger, as I don't think they knew it was that $12-$20 coupler. The directions on replacing it on on the Grand Prix forums anyway.

So yeah; a GTP is hard to beat.

Quote:

No they did not. To my knowledge the only W-body to have a Quad-4 was the Cutlass Supreme. I think you're confusing it with the Grand Am. Either way were talking about 97+ GPs, which have either a 3.1 or 3.8.

-T

I'm not trying to argue, but MY '90 Grand Prix had a Quad 4 and further more... the GP and Cutlass Supreme (of the early 90's) were the same car except for a few cosmetic differences.

I also understood that the poster was looking for mid to late '90's, but when someone is looking at used cars they may find themselves looking at something different than they originally intended. I only wanted to keep them from the unbelievable headache and expense of a motor that I (and many others) had personal experience with. Sorry.
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back