Should I replace a TB on a car I plan to sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I wrote in a car ad, "The timing belt and related hardware has been changed. This is a big $1,000 maintenance job you don't have to do."

I did the work. A fellow saw the ad and he came and bought the car.

Then there's the question about your car's VERY LOW mileage. I bet it sells on day one if you don't pile on miles in the next 2 years.

Don't change it.

You won't get your money out of it from whoever buys it.

I had that same motor in my 98 Sienna. I did the timing belt job myself. Unless you've done timing belts in those Toyota V6s, it's going to be a fun job. Had to access bolts on the power steering pump and possible bolts that tend to snap on the center timing belt cover come to mind.

I changed my timing belt at 190,000 km back in 2010. All the lettering was worn off the belt, but I'm sure I could have gotten another 10-20,000 miles off that belt.

I would not change it now. IMO, even if this was a 14 year old car that sat in a garage and never been driven, half of the posters here would recommend to be on the safe side and change it anyway.

I just changed the original belt on our 06 Sienna with the 3.3 engine, similar design to your 3.0. The belt had 90K miles and was almost 12 years old. It looked virtually new still. It still had writing on it and the teeth had no wear. I wouldn't hesitate to run your belt for another few years until you sell it.

Unless you are a DIY'er that can do it yourself. The Sienna was my first V6 timing belt job. I did the water pump and pullies etc, took me about 8 hours and really was pretty easy. It was easier than people make these out to be. I'm sure your Lexus is just as easy.

Think of it as an appliance. Other than cleaning the inside and outside of a refrigerator what else is there to do? Not much. Don't over think it.

+1 on leaving the timing belt be and let the next owner take care of it, with 40K it should have very little wear.

I just did the TB on a 04 Civic D17A1 that I picked up, which showed every indication possible for being the original belt with 138,000 miles. It looked surprisingly good...

Don't touch the timing belt IMO. Pop off the timing cover to inspect it for cracks if you want. The OEM 1MZ-FE timing belt has been observed to last the lifetime of many cars. I know of one extreme case in an 18 year old Avalon (same engine family as ES300, 1MZ-FE) that went more than 306,000 miles on the original timing belt. The belt material is extremely long-lived HSN, if I'm not mistaken.

You might as well bite the bullet if there is any chance of you keeping the car. I just changed the timing belt on my Camry (belt only, everything else was fine). This was 7 years and 120,000 miles

Wheelman 1991, are you sure about years and mileage? I have changed 4 or 5 Toyota, Lexus and Acura TB's which were older than yours and all looked brand new.

Originally Posted By: artbuc
Wheelman 1991, are you sure about years and mileage? I have changed 4 or 5 Toyota, Lexus and Acura TB's which were older than yours and all looked brand new.

+1. That belt looks original; I have never seen a belt look like that with a reasonable change interval. Curiously, it is also the OE belt for a US-built (KY) Camry. I notice the change stickers are in different handwriting. Are you SURE the belt was changed when that sticker says?

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: artbuc

+1. That belt looks original; I have never seen a belt look like that with a reasonable change interval. Curiously, it is also the OE belt for a US-built (KY) Camry. I notice the change stickers are in different handwriting. Are you SURE the belt was changed when that sticker says?

Right. I have seen many Toyota and Honda TB's with that service and they all looked perfect. Also, numerous folks on various message boards report the same. I could believe this belt is 14 years old with 240k miles but most likely it is original. It would not be the first Toyota factory belt that went 298k.

Thanks, everyone! (But don't let me (the OP) stop the discussion; just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback.)

So many opinions and so much variation. I think they're all valid.

Quick thing: I made a mistake in the Km-to-Miles conversion. The car actually has 54,000 miles. Still quite low.
Further, it was run by an aged parent who gave it up a few years ago.
Low levels of stress on the engine. And always garaged in a very mild climate.

So the belt would have been in service is the most ideal of situations.

Having said that, I'm a self-professed car-guy and so I do feel like changing it and I would feel at least a tiny bit guilty leaving it.

I just wish a TB change was an easier job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back