Should I go to a 5 30 on my Hyundai

I've even thought 5 20 in winter and 5 30 summer. What about timing chain protection? Pump ability and all that?
No need to swap between 5w-20 and 5w-30, just stick with 5w-30 year round.
You get nothing extra using 5w-20 in winter.

Timing chain wear is not an issue, and seems everyone is worrying about timing chains now days.
Sure there are some engines with poor designs and parts, but these 2.4's are not a bad engine.
Engine will not have an engine issue with regular oil changes (even with 5w-20) for the life of the vehicle. You will have transmission issues well before the engine gives up.

Hey looking for some advice I have a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe with the 2.4. it's whole life of 186000 miles has been on 5 20. Now I am wondering if switching to a 5 30 would be beneficial to me for more longevity? I would like this to make it to 300k. My book says it can use 5 30 but 5 20 preferred. Probably for Cafe. I live in southern MO. My main concern is timing chain wear and best longevity. Please advise.
I own Honda Odyssey's that are speced for 5W-20. I only use 5W-30 in them. Engines seem to run quieter with the 5W-30, and gas mileage is identical in my excel spreadsheet from when I used to use 5W-20. I prefer the higher High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) protection of a 5W-30, and don't see any advantage in wear protection from using a lower HTHS 20 weight oil.

I ran the cheapest Xw30 synthetic I could find in all three of my Hyn/Kia, no issues. MY 06, 07, 12.

Running Fram Ultra on my 2012 Sonata made a big difference in observed cleanliness on the dipstick as compared to the OEM filter. On the other non-DI engines I always used OEM filters and the oil took a long time to get dark. I doubt it actually contributed to reduced wear, but felt good as I ran upwards of 7-8K OCI a couple of times on an engine with known issues.

Thanks guys. The theta 2 gets a bad rap. Although they do have known issues. Is the main longevity issue only on the gdi theta 2? As in not the MPI version?

My sisters '10 Sante Fe with the 2.4 gets a variety of oils.
I have used 5w-20, 5w-30 and 10w-30 in it since I have been maintaining it for the past 80,000 miles (currently just turned over 200,000 miles).
Currently has Traveller's 10w-30 synthetic in it. Doing 7,500 mile interval on it with her driving style (may drive 200 miles one day, and 10 miles the next 5).
No idea what it got at the oil change place she used before.

It does use about a qt of oil every 5,000 miles or so, no difference in what viscosity is used.
Have you had any issues with your sisters Santa Fe? How has the trans held up? Any major issues or issues in general?

Have you had any issues with your sisters Santa Fe? How has the trans held up? Any major issues or issues in general?
She recently had an issue with the intake manifold (it has a 2 stage intake runner setup), and has gone through a few alternators.
So far transmission is good and on original fluid.
I am almost afraid to change it at this point.
A few electrical gremlins her and there (always has a fast flash left turn signal with good bulbs, drivers electric lock not working, blower fan sometimes flakes out (medium speed no matter what position the knob is on).
Original suspension is pretty shot and needs replacement.
Her plan is to keep it till the end of the year and hopefully prices drop more on a replacement (she is not sure what she wants yet)

I had the same engine in my Jeep Compass for over 12 years. I would frequently use 5w30 in the summers (temps about 85-105 here locally) and never had an issue. In Winter, I would switch back to factory 5w20 recommendation.

She recently had an issue with the intake manifold (it has a 2 stage intake runner setup), and has gone through a few alternators.
So far transmission is good and on original fluid.
I am almost afraid to change it at this point.
A few electrical gremlins her and there (always has a fast flash left turn signal with good bulbs, drivers electric lock not working, blower fan sometimes flakes out (medium speed no matter what position the knob is on).
Original suspension is pretty shot and needs replacement.
Her plan is to keep it till the end of the year and hopefully prices drop more on a replacement (she is not sure what she wants yet)
Try changing the blower resister that may help with the fan speed. Stay away from reman alternators, AutoZone gold alternators are rebadged Bosch and are awesome, try changing the bulb socket and ensure no other lighting is out, sometimes cheaper bulbs like eicko from O'Reilly's in some vehicles do that. Stick with Sylvania. How many miles are on that old girl? Seems as though y'all have had that Santa Fe for some time going by the posts that I have seen on this awesome forum. Take care buddy. Auto tech

5w20 is suggested on the owners manual and its on the oil cap. but ive used 5w30 in my hyundai elantra limited since new. no problems. im still getting 33+mpg.

I have two 2013 Santa Fes and had the same bulb issue in my front turn signals. Replace the lamp holder assembly and the problem vanished for me
I know it is the socket, it follows the socket when I switched sides.
I just never thing about it untill I change the oil and do a test drive, and then forget about it.
I need to make sure these are for a '10 Santa Fe. I know I looked a while back and there were several numbers for the front signal assembly.
Try changing the blower resister that may help with the fan speed. Stay away from reman alternators, AutoZone gold alternators are rebadged Bosch and are awesome, try changing the bulb socket and ensure no other lighting is out, sometimes cheaper bulbs like eicko from O'Reilly's in some vehicles do that. Stick with Sylvania. How many miles are on that old girl? Seems as though y'all have had that Santa Fe for some time going by the posts that I have seen on this awesome forum. Take care buddy. Auto tech
Alternators were done by a shop, so no idea what was used.
As above with the light, I don't drive it enough to think about it, and my sister said it does not bother her much.

I did an oil change about 2 weeks ago on it and she was at 199,400 miles or so, so should be right at 200,000 right now.

Like I said, she is planning on getting something else around the end of the year. I have debated buying it from her as a "spare" vehicle.
I had an extra vehicle (a 2004 Sonata) for a bit that I sold to my nephew, and it was actually kind of nice having the extra vehicle. Was able to loan it out to a friend in need, and nice to have options of what to drive.

Back