Should I do shorter OCIs?

Can you check the engine running hours on it. Some may need a basic obd2 reader to show that. You can check your miler per engine hour and see if it's too much that way.

I’d probably get rid of the Pathfinder instead.
No thanks. I love my Pathfinder and plan to keep it until it hits 300K miles if I can make it happen. The ONLY thing I might trade it for would be a Pro4X XTerra if I can find one that isn't too rotted out or overpriced.
If you're doing a lot of flea market jaunts, hard acceleration and 1 hr/day idling then you definitely need to the UOA.
I definitely plan on having one done, and I will next oil change and post it here.

Good luck with that. Nice 2014-15s were highly valued before current conditions. I gave up, not paying $20k + for one.
Thats exactly why I don't own one. I looked at a couple before I bought my Pathfinder and they all either
A) were grossly overpriced and had high miles or unfinished recalls
B) affordable, but rotted out (I almost test drove one but the step bar on it fell off when I tried climbing in!!)

These Nissan engines are picky when it comes to oil intervals. I'm not comfortable past 4k on these engines.

I have a 2014 Pathfinder and I've been doing my oil changes every 5,000 miles. However I recently realized that I sit in my car for an hour every day on my lunch break so I know I'm adding an hour worth of idle wear every day as well, although it doesn't contribute to the 5,000 miles.

I'm due for an oil change in about 2,000 miles anyhow and I plan to get a UOA to see what it says but I was also just curious as to what you guys would do in a similar situation.
How much oil are you adding between OCI's?

I have a 2014 Pathfinder and I've been doing my oil changes every 5,000 miles. However I recently realized that I sit in my car for an hour every day on my lunch break so I know I'm adding an hour worth of idle wear every day as well, although it doesn't contribute to the 5,000 miles.

I'm due for an oil change in about 2,000 miles anyhow and I plan to get a UOA to see what it says but I was also just curious as to what you guys would do in a similar situation.
5K seems plenty often enough, even with all of that idling time. Its not as if you are putting much of any load on the engine while its idling. You may want to considering switching to synthetic, though.

How much oil are you adding between OCI's?
None. Doesn't use any oil.

5K seems plenty often enough, even with all of that idling time. Its not as if you are putting much of any load on the engine while its idling. You may want to considering switching to synthetic, though.
After I kill off my remaining oil stash (3 OCIs worth) I plan to. Any specific brand you'd recommend or that I should avoid?

If I lived in Idaho I wouldn't be running 10W30 conventional oil during the winter. Having said that with 3K miles on the oil and idling frequently for an hour at a time, I'd change the oil, yes wasteful to some. Going forward I'd use either a good synthetic 0W30 or 5W30, and sleep better. UOA is optional, although I would do it.

Idaho unless you are going to outsource it wait two to three days and pick a warm sunny day! This would be the change of choice from a 77 year old man that still does his own oil changes!

Can you elaborate ? My Nissan manual specifies 5k OCI .
Mine says 3750mi (severe) and 7500mi (normal).
And severe list includes everything I do with my nissans (excessive idling, cold, hot driving, stop and go rush hour driving, bad roads, etc....).

I probably wouldn’t. Wasnt there a study done years back on a taxi fleet in Las Vegas that was running conventional/syn blend oil (chevron if I recall) and they ran 6k+ intervals and we know taxis idle like crazy yet they came out looking great. All city/police cars run on cheap bulk oil and do fine as well.

That’s just my thinking though

Back