Should I change my transfer case fluid already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aproximately 6,000 miles ago I put Mobil 1 Dex III in the transfer case on my Cherokee. It was the first change since I bought it, and I don't know the history on the t-case. It has almost 200k on it, and the fluid that came out was pretty dirty.

I'm thinking the new synthetic ATF might have cleaned up the inside and is now dirty. Does anybody think I should change it already? If I do I'll probably go with Amsoil ATF...

Probably wouldnt hurt, I would have just used cheap dino for the first 5,000 miles and then go synthetic, I guess it only takes a couple of quarts.

As Cr_rossman says it's only a few quarts tops and since the transfer case is in "operation" whether you're in 2wd or 4wd I'd change it again. Along with axle differentials the transfer case fluid has to one of the most overlooked fluids to be changed. I changed my wifes Explorer's TC fluid @ 30,000 miles to Schaeffer's #204S, synthetic blend DexronIII/Mercon. I just changed my F-150 to the Schaeffer's @ 19,000 miles. Very cheap insurance for very expensive components.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back