Should I buy a "B" Temperature tire for 2016 Pilot?

Hi All,

Time for new tires on wife's 2016 Honda Pilot EXL - AWD. Size is 245-60/18.

Current worn tires are Michelin Defender LTX, which we love in all regards except for impact harshness; gonna fix that now.

Looking to buy Continental CrossContact LX25's but can't decide between H or T rating because tires have other slight differences:

Both made in US (assuming same plant) and have same load capacity (2,039 lbs.), treadwear (740) and "A" traction rating.

Differences are max inflation pressure (51 psi for H-rated, 44 psi for T-rated) and temperature rating (A for the H-rated, B for the T-rated).

I'm thinking the T-rated may have a slightly softer ride and that's the only reason I'm considering it.

Open for discussion - I'd appreciate any insight (hoping CapriRacer jumps in at some point)!

Happy Independence Day, Everyone!
34.gif

The temp rating is supposed to be the resistance to heat affecting the overall tire handling? I would never buy a "b" unless it came with a much softer sidewall rating for the load capacity which I don't think is what you are referring to correct? the H vs T is speed rating? YRMV, I tend to drive my SW like its a go kart

The UTQG temp rating is speed based. A "B" rating means the tire can effectively withstand temps generated while loaded at 115 MPH.

Considering the max speed for an H-rated tire is 130 MPH, you will never see a UTQG temp rating of B on an H-rated tire.

A T-rated tire has a max speed of 118 MPH, which is close enough to the 115 MPH UTQG temp B. You'll find most manufacturer's T-rated tires have a UTQG temp of B.

Thanks for both posts, men.

I guess I just don't want to buy a "lesser" tire that somehow might be more prone to more failures than the H-rated, A temp version.

Typical road trip = 6 hours @ 75-80 mph.

If you like Michelin, get the CrossClimate SUV. It has the A temp rating and H speed rating
smile.gif

Other good tires to consider:
Toyo Celsius CUV
Nokian WRG4 SUV

Originally Posted by oily boyd
Hi All,

Current worn tires are Michelin Defender LTX, which we love in all regards except for impact harshness; gonna fix that now.

Looking to buy Continental CrossContact LX25's but can't decide between H or T rating because tires have other slight differences:

Both made in US (assuming same plant) and have same load capacity (2,039 lbs.), treadwear (740) and "A" traction rating.

Differences are max inflation pressure (51 psi for H-rated, 44 psi for T-rated) and temperature rating (A for the H-rated, B for the T-rated).

I'm thinking the T-rated may have a slightly softer ride and that's the only reason I'm considering it.

Open for discussion - I'd appreciate any insight (hoping CapriRacer jumps in at some point)!

34.gif

Yes, Continental will be fine as long as you do not go over 115mph for some time.

You might also want to look at their load rating chart since both have different max inflation pressures. I would guess the max load is going to be around 36 or 38 psi for both and the additional pressure just gets you sidewall stiffness. The tire capable of higher pressure is going to ride harder even at the same PSI.

Hi All,

34.gif

IMHO, get Sumitomo Encounter HT - you get a tire very similar to Michelin you had, quiet and very well balanced, H-rated and A/A - traction/temp.
I run this tire on Sportage (diff size) and am very happy with it. Another option is - Crugen 51 - they are stiffer and T-rated.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...kwall&partnum=46HR8EHT&tab=Sizes

Friend has 2015 Pilot and for her 3rd set of tires about 6 months ago she picked Altimax RT43 235/60R18 on my advice.
She says it's the best ride so far compare to previous 2 sets which were Michelins and Contis.

The T rated tires are probably B Temp rated as they are slightly softer, more flexible and thus build more heat. They probably would give a slightly softer ride whether or not you could notice it. T rating is still more than enough for cruising at 75-80 mph. I've had tires with B temperature ratings and never noticed a thing.

Give this made in Taiwan tire and Taiwan tire mfg a look. Your size $96.36 NANKANG

I installed them on my daughters Escape. Here is a review from Discount Direct on a Pilot w/5,400 miles Investigated the Nankang company and found they were one of first companies to develop the steel belted radial tires. Did not want to put more noisy hard riding truck tires on my 18 inch wheels. The SP9s are used on cars and can go suvs like mine. Will definitely be buying more down the road. Price was excellent.

..... Hoping CapriRacer jumps in at some point! .....

::Jumps in!::

In all likelihood the H rated tires have a cap ply - which makes the tire is much, much, less prone to failure.

The difference in temperature ratings? The temperature rating is really about speed rating. I don't know why there is a temperature rating (other than the "Not invented here" tendencies of government bureaucrats! They could have required speed ratings instead and there are proposals to do that.)

The difference in max inflation pressure? T rated tires are speed tested at 35 psi, and H rated tires are tested at 44 psi, so it appears the max pressures are following. (A side note: There are some vehicles that call for unusually high inflation pressures and I wonder if those max pressures are reflecting that!)

Originally Posted by CapriRacer

The difference in max inflation pressure? T rated tires are speed tested at 35 psi, and H rated tires are tested at 44 psi, so it appears the max pressures are following. (A side note: There are some vehicles that call for unusually high inflation pressures and I wonder if those max pressures are reflecting that!)

Many vehicle manufacturers list on their tire placard a recommendation of 10 to 12 lbs. lower than that 44 psi that you say the H rated tires are speed tested. If one runs an "H" rated with the vehicle recommended (e.g. 32 psi); does that mean there is an additional margin of safety, or can you help us learn what that difference might mean to the tire behavior or characteristics (if anything) ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cressida
Originally Posted by CapriRacer

Many vehicle manufacturers list on their tire placard a recommendation of 10 to 12 lbs. lower than that 44 psi that you say the H rated tires are speed tested. If one runs an "H" rated with the vehicle recommended (e.g. 32 psi); does that mean there is an additional margin of safety, or can you help us learn what that difference might mean to the tire behavior or characteristics (if anything) ?

Interesting question - complicated answer.

The set up: For every tire, there is a load table where the relationship between load carrying capacity and inflation pressure is defined. There is also the max load and its corresponding pressure indicated. For Standard Load Passenger Car tires, the max load occurs at 35 psi (2.5 bar, 250 kPa for metric tires = 36.3 psi) regardless of the speed rating. (For reference: metric tires = those tires not following the American tire standards which are expressed in English units, but are essentially the same)

Where the additional margin of safety comes in is that the H rated tire has more speed capability than the S or T rated tires even at those lower pressures.

For practical purposes, higher speed rated tires can be made to perform EXACTLY like lower speed rated tires, because the things that control wear, traction, ride, and handling are independent of what controls speed capability - BUT - it is common for higher speed rated tires to be designed to handle better (and therefore ride worse), get better traction (but wear worse, and get worse fuel economy). The only thing that is always worse for higher speed rated tires (all other things being equal) is fuel economy - and that is only slightly worse - not enough to worry about!

Other types of tires, such as XL, LT, ST, etc. behave similarly, but the details vary.

Thanks again, CapriRacer.

Just to close the loop: we did go with the H-rated Continental CrossContact LX25's and they are outstanding in all regards, especially impact harshness. Problem solved for me!

I have the same tires in V rated and love them. I've got about 25K miles on them now on my 2019 CX5 turbo. They are excellent in all regards I've found. A worthy successor of the LX20's.

Last edited:
I’ve had these tires in the “T” rating on a 2015 MDX which is very similar to your car with a bit more sportier driving dynamic and they were great; Quiet, smooth and performed well in all weather conditions. The “T” rated tire is a bit softer and has a longer treadlife warranty Which will work well in your Pilot.

Back