Should I be worried about battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks!
Question about my 2015 MB GLA250.
It has only 23k miles, yet it's 4 years old now and my wife takes lots of short trips.
The battery shows no signs of going bad, at the same time it was like that for my Kia as well and then it just wouldn't start one morning.

Should I invest early into the new battery?
There're 2 nice deals going on right now:
1. Champion AGM $160 + tax (including $18 core charge refundable) https://www.pepboys.com/champion-agm-battery/product/2071686
2. Autocraft Platinum AGM $168 + tax ($22 core charge refundable) (which seems to be rebranded german Varta) https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-group-size-h6-760-cca-h6-agm/10210829-P

First - the best bet is to have it tested by someone with a Midtronics (type) battery tester or a carbon pile load tester. Temp compensated.

I would only look for deals on East Penn/Deka batteries.

CarQuest or Walmart or Napa do carry East Penn/Deka batteries depending upon where you live.

You can email [email protected] and ask where you can get a East Penn/Deka battery in WA.

I would get the new battery before the old one fails, because they always fail at the most inconvenient time and worst location. After 3.5 years, I start looking for a battery deal. You might get another $25 off the Advance Auto battery by ordering it online to pick up at your store. Check out the website for online deals.

I agree with getting it tested first. I'd go so far as to get it tested on two separate occasions at different auto parts stores. You could have an intermittent short that tests good one day but fails the test another day.

How much grief will it cause if the battery fails on your wife somewhere? That should guide you.

For the past month the '14 RAV4 has been slower to crank in the morning. Monday it wouldn't start, luckily I was driving it that day and put the charger on it on 20A and it fired right up. Had it on the charger on 2A at work and stopped at NAPA on the way home for a new one. No worries but would have been a different story if wife had gone out 2 hours later to a no start. Got lucky but just had to get that last day out of it.

I was worried about my Battery (4 years old).

Went out this morning and bought an EverStart Maxx at Wal-Mart.
Size 59 for $120.00 with 3 year full replacement, 2 year pro-rated.

Although my old Battery started fine, it was 4 years old and showing non-stellar results while testing.

I will sleep better tonight.

Last edited:
I'm at 11 years on my AGM battery in my Mercedes E-350. I think the newer models seem to be worse with battery life. Not sure if your model will show you the voltage on the dash, there's usually some hidden method to display the voltage on MBs. Anyway, I keep an eye on it, it's been holding up for the last few years. Oh yeah, like everyone else says, get it load tested, only way to know for sure. Otherwise you're just throwing parts at it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bubbatime
The OEM battery might last twice as long as a parts store replacement. Id leave it in. Test it annually.

or half as long if its a subaru.

they been putting junk 400cca batteries in the forester for years.. although I havent checked since 2016.

Originally Posted by SlavaB
Hey folks!
Question about my 2015 MB GLA250.
It has only 23k miles, yet it's 4 years old now and my wife takes lots of short trips.
The battery shows no signs of going bad, at the same time it was like that for my Kia as well and then it just wouldn't start one morning.
Should I invest early into the new battery?
There're 2 nice deals going on right now:
1. Champion AGM $160 + tax (including $18 core charge refundable) https://www.pepboys.com/champion-agm-battery/product/2071686
2. Autocraft Platinum AGM $168 + tax ($22 core charge refundable) (which seems to be rebranded german Varta) https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-group-size-h6-760-cca-h6-agm/10210829-P

My 2008 MB E350's battery lasted 4 yrs under the same conditions. If yours is a AGM it will not give you any warning, it will just fail.
I would only use an OEM battery, I think Varta is still the supplier, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for, 2nd choice would be Odyssey or NorthStar (same company also expensive) 3rd choice EastPenn/Deka. Don't wait till it fails as it will affect many other features of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by Pelican

My 2008 MB E350's battery lasted 4 yrs under the same conditions. If yours is a AGM it will not give you any warning, it will just fail.
I would only use an OEM battery, I think Varta is still the supplier, they are more expensive, but you get what you pay for, 2nd choice would be Odyssey or NorthStar (same company also expensive) 3rd choice EastPenn/Deka. Don't wait till it fails as it will affect many other features of the vehicle.

AAPs batteries are known to be rebranded OEM, checkout pictures here https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...-group-size-h6-760-cca-h6-agm/10210829-P
I guess I'm gonna just but it then.
I like Champion option as well, they give 4 years warranty

Live in the moderate climate of Wetside Washington if you've cared for that battery at all it should last you 7 years or better. My Toyota OEM battery lasted 84 months and it didn't fail winter was coming and I just replaced it. Same with the two batteries in my Duramax.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Live in the moderate climate of Wetside Washington if you've cared for that battery at all it should last you 7 years or better. My Toyota OEM battery lasted 84 months and it didn't fail winter was coming and I just replaced it. Same with the two batteries in my Duramax.

Moved to WA around 8 months ago from CA.
I haven't done anything to the battery except for a dealer's checks it runs every time.

The car will have logic to push lots of power back into the battery the first couple minutes it's running then taper off from there. I would not use short trips as an excuse to buy another.

What's so awful about her asking for help with a jump start? It's one of those very basic life skills.

Are you looking for justification to buy a battery or an honest discussion?

Originally Posted by eljefino
The car will have logic to push lots of power back into the battery the first couple minutes it's running then taper off from there. I would not use short trips as an excuse to buy another.

What's so awful about her asking for help with a jump start? It's one of those very basic life skills.

Are you looking for justification to buy a battery or an honest discussion?

No problems at all.
Unless it's when she needs to pick up our son from school and I'm working about 6-7 miles away and won't make it back that easily.
I just wanted to listen to members' experience with those AGMs, as I said my Kia oem battery just gave up one morning on an underground parking where no one else was around at the moment and my cellphone had no connection.
I'm a no expert in the car's logic to push the power back, I thought it takes some time to properly recharge it (like long drive somewhere)

Last edited:
Short trips really discharge a battery. I would replace as preventative maintenance. Apparently I am in the minority.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back