Time for New Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
The AAP Autocraft Gold is 116.99 using a $40 off $100 online code. That includes the core charge. Turn in the old battery ($22 core) when you pick up the new one, should be 94.99 plus tax.

The core charge won't count to the coupon's $100 unless they make a mistake...

Admittedly been a few years since I purchased an Autocraft Gold and Silver, but what I posted is exactly how the transaction was handled then. Gold battery for the OP is 156.99 including $22 core charge without using a code. With or without core, well over $100 to use $40 off code.

Currently code 6TRT41K gets $40 off $100+.

Exactly what happed when I bought my Autocraft Gold last week for the Scion.
After the coupon code, my cost was $123.24.
I walked into the store with my bad battery so they refunded the core right then, total cost charged to the credit card was $99.43.

Wouldn't you have been better off using the 30% off code? That goes up to $50 max off.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: RamFan
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
So, you ran the air compressor with the engine off?

Yes, a little Slime one. Didn't think anything of it. I had zero symptoms of battery going out prior to yesterday. Drove the car home on Friday after work and it sat Saturday and Sunday in the garage. Go to start it yesterday morning while doing the tires and nada.

Don't do that. For any load, run the engine. Starting batteries are for starting and irreparable damage can be done to older batteries this way. I'm going to guess that this wasn't the first time you used the battery for something like this.

+1

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Exactly what happed when I bought my Autocraft Gold last week for the Scion.
After the coupon code, my cost was $123.24.
I walked into the store with my bad battery so they refunded the core right then, total cost charged to the credit card was $99.43.

Wouldn't you have been better off using the 30% off code? That goes up to $50 max off.

It is like $1 and change cheaper with the $40 off code vs the 30% off (I just checked, I was almost mad at myself).
The $40 off total with tax and core charge was $123.24.
If I used the 30% off, with tax and core it would have been $124.63.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
Donald said:
RamFan said:
Well, it appears as though I need a new battery. Yesterday I was out putting some air in the tires and could hear the pump start to whine-down a bit. I decided to hop in the car and start her up (in retrospect I should've known this was pointless) but to no avail. Shoot. Grabbed the multi-meter and checked the car battery, 11.7 volts. Ok, took the battery out and cleaned everything up nicely as there was some buildup on the terminals, put some terminal grease on there and reinstalled. Turn the key, nothing. Oh well, the battery has served me well since Spring of '12. Put her on the charger overnight (Diehard DH75A) to get her up to charge and give it another go in the morning. Woke up, went out to the garage, charger indicated battery had a full charge. Verified with the MM, 12.6 volts, turned the key and nothing. Hmmm ok, checked the voltage again 12.3, hmm interesting. Put the charger back on to see if I could use the boost option, but that worked to no avail. Put the charger away and just let the car sit there for a little while to see what kind of droppage I was getting. Checked the voltage again about an hour later 11.3 volts. Checked it about two hours after that 5.5 volts. Well, I think this battery has seen its last day

No I didn't check the acid in each cell. TBH the only part that sounds odd to me is that with a full charge it still wouldn't crank over. Then again, with it being installed 9/12 it is getting to the age where it will begin to fail.

It was never fully charged, probably hasn't been for long time. Voltage and amperage are very different. You can connect 8 AAs in series to get 12v, but there would be basically no amperage to spin a starter. If you'd load tested the old battery, it probably has less than 20% of its original amperage capacity.

I just put in a Autozone Duralast Gold in my sons Civic yesterday. I've been having pretty good luck with them in 2 other Civics and an Accord. Like Walmart - there should always be an Autozone nearby for replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back