Battery Charger ... yes time for a new one but ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Could be my meter doing something funny with the funky rectified AC (open circuit) that gets better with a battery involved. Or it could be an ounce of brains in the charger that boosts voltage when it's happily connected to a healthy battery.

Your meter is reading the average DC voltage, which with full wave rectification is 63.7% of the peak voltage.
There are higher grade meters that read RMS voltage, but only on the AC volt function; they still read average on DC function.
So 12.5V average = 19.6V peak, but that's unloaded.

A "dumb" charger can be paired with a household timer (like to switch a light on each night).
Then you can charge for a few hours, or one hour a day etc.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You NEED a manual powerhouse charger in the country... I only got one vehicle and if I get a dead battery on a work morning, my microprocessor controlled charger with 15 amp fast charge mode isn't going to get me out of Dodge!

There is some wisdom in having both kinds available.
wink.gif

I agree. I have an old Schumacher 50/10/2 I've had for 30+ years that's nice to have when I need to start a vehicle right away. I also have a 10 amp ship n shore that you can leave on and will shut itself off when done so I can leave it on and check it in the morning and finally I have a Ctek 4.3 for my AGM battery. Since I bought the Ctek I haven't used the ship n shore but no reason to get rid of it.

Last edited:
I've had weak batteries that just wouldn't get going with the intelligent charger. The old school charger got things started at least, finished with the new charger. Of course, such a battery is very likely facing a diminished lifespan anyhow, but having some decent chargers around is helpful.

Some intelligent chargers can get things going even if battery is severely depleted and below some expected voltage. Solar ProLogix is one of them. I'm sure there are others.

Mine could on one depleted battery by putting it into one of the more manual type or old school modes for a time, then back to one of the intelligent modes. With one other situation, I had to get things started with the old fashioned charger for a time, then switch over.

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

Today's cars have very sophisticated and delicate electronic systems. Given the amount of money I spent on my vehicles, I do not mind buying the highest quality and safest smart charger available. CTEK units are standard or optional OEM units on a lot of high end cars. For example, one came with my 2015 Stingray I bought new. Other examples include, BMW, Audi, Lamborghini, and Maserati. If you want to use the cheapest junk chargers you can find or your cars, then I say go for it. I would not hook one of yours up on any of my vehicles under any circumstances.

Here is an idea, if you are afraid of an old school buzz box nuking your super-duper highly electronic car........ Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal, THEN charge the battery......

Originally Posted By: wheelman1991
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake

Today's cars have very sophisticated and delicate electronic systems. Given the amount of money I spent on my vehicles, I do not mind buying the highest quality and safest smart charger available. CTEK units are standard or optional OEM units on a lot of high end cars. For example, one came with my 2015 Stingray I bought new. Other examples include, BMW, Audi, Lamborghini, and Maserati. If you want to use the cheapest junk chargers you can find or your cars, then I say go for it. I would not hook one of yours up on any of my vehicles under any circumstances.

Here is an idea, if you are afraid of an old school buzz box nuking your super-duper highly electronic car........ Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal, THEN charge the battery......

Not afraid at all, because I do not intend to hook up your "old school buzz box" to anything I own.

Last edited:
Don't replace that charger. And, personally, I'll take an old one over a new smart charger every second of the day.

Originally Posted By: wheelman1991

That "super-duper highly electronic car" also does not like when power is disconnected. All sorts of settings get lost and sometimes battery needs to be re-initialized/recoded after reconnect, so it can be a PITA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back