Should I adjust my rear sight to the left....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shot this with 5 10 round magazines in my Ruger 22/45. I did punch a bunch through the large hole. I think I have an inconsistent trigger finger, and frankly have been a rifle shooter all life and shooting a pistol is starting to have me rethink a lot of things. Stuff that is different/easier with a rifle. It's tough with my lousy eyesight. I can not get my front site in sharp focus without my glasses, but when I wear my glasses I think it messes up my distance vision- to the point what I see is off from is the true location. It's challenging and I am getting better. Fun and relaxing still!!

2-1822A.JPG

Well if you shoot like that you're doing pretty well. I'm starting to get farsighted in the last 4 years or so. Last time I've been to a shooting range was back about 1975. I shot my brother's antique double barrel shot gun, and a 30-06.
It was a wake up call. Pretty good kick to it when you are a scrawny kid.

My Dad says I shot better than my older Brother. I don't remember who was better? The way the World is going though it seems like have protection makes more sense all the time.

I like shooting because it's so relaxing. In my youth I had no problems grouping any decent rifle right on target bullseye. Frankly now I suck with a pistol and see it as my personal challenge to improve.

Dang when I fired my brand new 45 on Friday I sent a couple or more flyers that didn't even hit the target! But then I buckled down and did pretty good. I stopped and shot the other guns I brought (the 22/45 here and my 44 mag B 92 lever) for a long bit and then went back to the 45 and was lousy all over again....aargh..... and ran out of ammo before I could buckle down.

What is your closest indoor range? You could join the Marysville outdoor club.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Definitely adjust the site. You want that big hole a little over to the left.

Easy enough to do.

It's pretty amazing really if you draw an imaginary Y axis on the target - just how the weighting is on the right side. But the quandary to me is - mechanics of my style vs. true accuracy of the gun?

Take a look at this before you adjust the sight. Don't move the sights until you've shot it off a bench and/or had an experienced shooter try it. Search some Todd Jarrett videos on Youtube for pistol shooting.

Pistol shooting is ALL about the front sight and trigger control.

diagnostictarget.jpg

Very interesting stuff.

I was shooting with my regular glasses. I have now absolute proof that my glasses shift the location of any given object (say target) from true position at distances beyond about 15 feet. Weird, but true.

I got some inexpensive readers that just got the front sight in fairly sharp focus. It's OK if the rear sight is a little fuzzy. The target at 30 or 50 feet is a bit soft but it's plainly visible. Helped my range shooting a bunch.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
I got some inexpensive readers that just got the front sight in fairly sharp focus. It's OK if the rear sight is a little fuzzy. The target at 30 or 50 feet is a bit soft but it's plainly visible. Helped my range shooting a bunch.

I should just get some of those. These prescription progressive "office" glasses distinctly shift the location beyond their useful distance. It really apparent by just holding my head still and taking the glasses on and off.

That's an interesting one...could be you're consistently jerking the trigger and pulling the shots to the right...or it could be the sight.

I am with those guys who recommend shooting off a bench/sandbag...that will help give you another data point...

If you are using the target AZjeff provided, it's probably for a right handed shooter. There are reversed versions of this target for southpaws like myself.

I've seen too many try NOT to adjust sights be relying on similar pictures posted at the ranges, when the sight adjustment was absolutely necessary.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

diagnostictarget.jpg

Problem with the "bad habit picture" is that you should NOT use it in place of adjusting sights. Shoot comfortably as even your bad habits tend to be consistent. Work on your bad habits over time and adjust accordingly.

I'm with unDummy here. The bad habit targets are only good if you know without a doubt that the sights are adjusted properly.

Ed

Yeah, if you have a good vice rest you can determine what the deal really is. Touch nothing but the trigger, and not even that if you can help it. A couple groups will solve your problem. However, like undummy, I still think you ought to change the sights. Work on the problem (if any) and adjust your sights as necessary.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Have someone else shoot it and see where it goes.

Good advice.

You guys want humor?

I go to fire the gun yesterday and the rear sight is WAY over to the right, I'm scritching my brain.............the set screw was totally loose! I could slide it back and forth.

So I eyeballed it in place. I'll need to now set it up properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back