Clean your guns..

Question: Are you still firing 5000 rounds per year is ammo with being as scarce as it has been? Where are you buying it? All I see is out-of-stock on every website I checked. Thanks.
I stocked up on powder and primers etc . when the prices were low and the quantities abundant . I reload and haven't bought factory ammo since about 1976. I have at least 30,000 potential rounds still. Being prepared isn't necessarily for the end of the world , it is for having .

I stocked up on powder and primers etc . when the prices were low and the quantities abundant . I reload and haven't bought factory ammo since about 1976. I have at least 30,000 potential rounds still. Being prepared isn't necessarily for the end of the world , it is for having .
Thanks for the info.

clean mine after each shooting session/range trip...longest I've lagged due to laziness was 7-10 days; if I'm not gonna do cleaning right away I run an oiled patch thru the bore & on breech face to start breaking down carbon; if I use a high power rifle I patch or brush the bore with hoppes & let it work for a few hours to take up some of the copper fouling as well as carbon

clean mine after each shooting session/range trip...longest I've lagged due to laziness was 7-10 days; if I'm not gonna do cleaning right away I run an oiled patch thru the bore & on breech face to start breaking down carbon; if I use a high power rifle I patch or brush the bore with hoppes & let it work for a few hours to take up some of the copper fouling as well as carbon...

I like to keep the lint and holster debris off, run a drop oil in barrel and bore snake a few times, and hit the points with Archoil Ws2.
Dry toothbrush 🪥 the extractor and firing pin on HK45/P2000SK,etc.

Attachments

• 20220714_180708.jpg
    20220714_180708.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221223_191119.jpg
    20221223_191119.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221223_191127.jpg
    20221223_191127.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 10
I shoot too much to clean every time. In the case of say my Glock 19/43X. I know by experience that they might "require" cleaning every 1000 rnds. Having said that I'll clean m aybe every few hundred rounds. If I carry one, I'll clean it, shoot it and then carry it.

But interestingly my Glock 44 (.22) started to fail to eject. I completely disassembled the slide and the extractor was carboned up. .22 is dirtier than center fire IMHO. Lesson learned.

I rarely clean mine, as I was using them “regularly”… then something happened and they all sat in the safe for a few years. Not the brightest idea. So there is something to be said for those who bring go home and clean, it’s just part of the process—if you don’t have time to clean afterwards, then you don’t have time to shoot. I can respect that attitude.

I just can’t be bothered to own a gun that won’t cycle reliably if dirty. 10/22 and MkII, pretty tolerant. Probably time to go open up though, I’ve forgotten how… (youtube is my friend I know). The revolvers are easy to touch up (at least until you have to get into the action), the others are a bit more involved.

I cleaned thr 22/45 and the XD40 tactical last week, their yearly cleaning. I shoot them once a week .

If you have more than a couple of firearms do your wife and family a favor and have a plan to dispose of them if you cash your chips in early. We've probably all seen it happen, I have, where the widow now has a gun collection and no clue what they're worth or how to deal with them. Not fair to her and not how you want your prized guns to end up.

I've started to reduce my collection, giving some to some nephews who hunt, sold a few at good price to a couple of really nice young working men my wife worked with who still like wood/blued guns. Some sold on consignment at a trusted small gun shop. Keeping a list of what I have with current values based on GunBroker sales.

Reactions: Al
If you have more than a couple of firearms do your wife and family a favor and have a plan to dispose of them if you cash your chips in early.
That's a fair point to keep in mind, but probably with all of one's possessions. Not sure if that is material good enough for a will? If not in the will, then perhaps a plan that you keep alongside it, spelling out the disposition of one's items not otherwise spelled out in the will (for whatever reason).

I figure, the wife is just going to get a 10 yard dumpster and deal with whatever I leave behind. :) I'm trying to keep my belongings at that level, more or less, excepting cars.

If you have more than a couple of firearms do your wife and family a favor and have a plan to dispose of them if you cash your chips in early. We've probably all seen it happen, I have, where the widow now has a gun collection and no clue what they're worth or how to deal with them. Not fair to her and not how you want your prized guns to end up.
In PA you can gift with no paperwork any firearm to children and grandchildren. My wife will just give them to our 2 kids and 8 grandchildren.

Guns aren't going in the dumpster.
You sure about that? In many movies, the bad gun walks away, tossing the gun into a nearby trashcan. Works in the movies. Only semi-joking about it happening in real life.

It's a good point though, most of the time, most of us don't think about what to do with things that may be problematic to discard. I sure am not. [My plan is to live forever--so far, so good, running along on plan.] Primers and powder, I know how to dispose of, wife doesn't. That, a gallon of bad gas and a few gallons of K2... hmm.

Back