Should Homeowner Groups Stop Investors From Buying Houses to Rent?

the USD is still a better bet than any other currency in the world.

The next closest currency would likely be the Chinese renminbi which is still far off from the power of the USD, and I doubt the Chinese government would want that kind of responsibility/liability anyway.

We "should" build more homes that people can afford, redevelop older area with low density into med density communities so more can buy.

But of course, that impacts existing home supplies and existing home owners will veto that in a second, they don't want to cheapen their neighborhood and let a bunch of lower middle class get in to dilute the prestige.

NIMBY always. We're not commies giving out freebies. So yeah, good luck with declining foreign buyers.
I know it happens, but I think it happens more so in areas that are “richer” and have higher costs of living anyway. Replacing those areas with more densely packed homes won’t significantly decrease the price of them in my opinion, though I could be wrong.

And I don’t think it’s that people in low density areas want to keep the “lower income” out, it’s that they enjoy their space. My first house was in a medium density community (~1/4 acre lots or just a hair under) and I will never live in another one again. We moved out to a house with 2 acres in a slightly lower cost of living area, behind me is a huge plot of privately owned land that’s currently all woods. I won’t lie, I’ll be very upset if that ever gets turned into a housing development, and not for property value reasons. I just don’t want that behind me, I like seeing the woods.

Edit - upon further research I guess my first house would be considered “low density” housing…. Can you tell I grew up in a really small town?

Last edited:
It's a free country, investors from overseas are welcome to buy whatever they want. Remember they can also get burned, the Japanese bought up a lot of investment property a while ago and got burned bad when the market collapsed.
Not true our country has bans on foreign purchases of all manner of goods and even IP. Heck the fed won’t technically allow the purchase of government gold (thank you France)

There are many limits and actually many more “housing” limits on individuals than corporate.

Our town has strict law in terms of property setbacks and intended use, unless you are a corporate owner, then the zoning doesn’t matter, 30’ setback, nah build on the property line, historical district? Tear it down. Not making enough rent? Don’t pay property taxes or gov loans for the next 10 years. Wetland? Fill it.

Even if corporate entities had to play by the same rules I do and had to pay their debts things might be a little better.

The banks locally have been leaning forward on foreclosures and placing the shill bid higher than what’s owed, even better the bank doesn’t have to pay property taxes while they camp on foreclosures properties from deceased homeowners.

Not true our country has bans on foreign purchases of all manner of goods and even IP. Heck the fed won’t technically allow the purchase of government gold (thank you France)

There are many limits and actually many more “housing” limits on individuals than corporate.

Our town has strict law in terms of property setbacks and intended use, unless you are a corporate owner, then the zoning doesn’t matter, 30’ setback, nah build on the property line, historical district? Tear it down. Not making enough rent? Don’t pay property taxes or gov loans for the next 10 years. Wetland? Fill it.

Even if corporate entities had to play by the same rules I do and had to pay their debts things might be a little better.

The banks locally have been leaning forward on foreclosures and placing the shill bid higher than what’s owed, even better the bank doesn’t have to pay property taxes while they camp on foreclosures properties from deceased homeowners.
Not for residential property. It's pretty straightforward, basically the attorney handles the purchase and recording of the deed. If it's cash, it's pretty straightforward. I've sold property to people that aren't US citizens. That only really comes into play if you're getting a mortgage.

Some investor folks won’t be happy until all the peasants live in Pottersville… There needs to be steep increases in tax rates for anything beyond a 2nd home to make investing in multiple homes less profitable. Housing is a place to live and raise a family and now it’s treated like buying mutual funds and hoarding stocks. Making us a nation of renters won’t exactly improve our fabric as a nation.

When it comes time where I ever have to sell my house I’m refusing to sell to an investor who will turn it around and rent it out like he saw from a TikTok investor. I’d gladly sell it to a young family starting out who will live in it even if it means I don’t squeeze every drop of blood money out of the sale. Now get off my lawn.

Last edited:
2008-2009 remembers
Yes, government interference. It actually started around 2002 and led to 2008
Government learned a lesson but of course went to far the other way.

Back to the OP though.
Any HOA can ban the rental of homes, some do, some dont. The people who live in the community decided those issues and no one else.

Some investor folks won’t be happy until all the peasants live in Pottersville… There needs to be steep increases in tax rates for anything beyond a 2nd home to make investing in multiple homes less profitable. Housing is a place to live and raise a family and now it’s treated like buying mutual funds and hoarding stocks. Making us a nation of renters won’t exactly improve our fabric as a nation.

When it comes time where I ever have to sell my house I’m refusing to sell to an investor who will turn it around and rent it out like he saw from a TikTok investor. I’d gladly sell it to a young family starting out who will live in it even if it means I don’t squeeze every drop of blood money out of the sale. Now get off my lawn.
In your state there are laws all over the place, this is what voters vote for.
IN most states, including here next door in South Carolina (and I know where I came from in NY), anyone who owns a home and not their primary pays THOUSANDS a year in higher property taxes. If you want them higher in your state, you need to press the issue.

I want home prices as high as possible, I LOVE seeing my home increase in value, just like my parents did before me and my grandparents before that. There are plenty of homes available for those who work hard for one.

If I sell my home, chances are I will just go to a corporation such as Open Door. They give me a quote on line, stop by the house, firm up the price and offer to pay me within 30 days. Done, no different than bringing a car to Car Max. It is the future.
Homes will never be priced more than the public can afford. If they were, they wouldnt sell.
Simple math but media sensationalism makes it sound like homes are unaffordable, life has never been more easy on the youth today in the history of mankind.

What we need are realistic higher interest rates of 8% then homes wouldn't seem so expensive to some but the payment would be the same.

FRED-30-year-fixed-mortgage-historical-chart-728x295.png

Last edited:

Fleecing of America,
Even our state government made a boneheaded deal selling the water rights for a quarter million residents to a Chinese company at Pennies on the dollar and the company didn’t live up to any of the contractual requirements

They reap what they sow. The world is full of middlemen. Walmart is the largest retailer and they're middlemen.

Now you have inflation running at 8.5% but you have a 5% limit on increases? My property taxes and insurance really shot up this year, only way to recoup that is by raising rents more than 5%.

AirBnB serve a purpose in that it's popular because it's cheaper than a hotel or you get more room than a hotel so they do serve a purpose. Uber kinda served a purpose because taxi prices were too high and hard to get. There wasn't enough supply. Your main problem with all this is that the demand is high because of a lack of supply. It's the owners that are causing the lack of supply by putting in too many rules/voting for things that prevent supply. So now the answer is to prevent more supply.
Most renters do not know the costs of ownership.

Fleecing of America,
Even our state government made a boneheaded deal selling the water rights for a quarter million residents to a Chinese company at Pennies on the dollar and the company didn’t live up to any of the contractual requirements
If I remember correctly lots of Argentina farm land is owned by foreign corps and the Argentianian people were hungry. We have farmer/ rancher hate in this country by people that eat their foods the evil farmers/ ranchers produce. Farms are a national asset, sadly not appreciated.

realestate is 1 of the most lucrative businesses in the world.
"...Should Homeowner Groups Stop Investors From Buying Houses to Rent?..."
absentee landlords do not see a home as such but as an income generator. That produces gentrification, higher rental AND ownership costs (supply v demand), increased costs for infrastructure (like rds and schools) and the costs of building. See the national housing shortage and stats, research. I dont think THEY can stop the conversions but statements in city/town plans can, zoning can, referendums/votes and citizen participation on Bds, comissions, committees can. However it has not happened much todate due to the econosociopolitical structure in merica. Business rules and buys politicians (the $ given toward election costs) such that its 2 against one (them v the voters). Ck the last 40, 50 yrs history (here'n world wide). We gotta do something different to get different results~

Last edited:
Setting rules and enforcing rules are two different thing.
Similar to taxes and debt
I have to pay mine but if you are wealthy enough or a protected corporation you can get free assets, not pay the taxes or rent, file bankruptcy and negotiate what you owe.

Could an individual do that? Maybe but it takes a lot of resources to fight the legal

Similar to taxes and debt
I have to pay mine but if you are wealthy enough or a protected corporation you can get free assets, not pay the taxes or rent, file bankruptcy and negotiate what you owe.

Could an individual do that? Maybe but it takes a lot of resources to fight the legal

Gotta follow the money. Unfortunately, the corps will just drown anybody that opposes them in a legal battle they know normal citizens or SMBs won't be able to touch.

Setting rules and enforcing rules are two different thing.
and even more 'differenter' than 'laws' (ie policy v 'on-the-books' legal). I just meant 'policy'. This could B formal zoning regs, or my fav - "sentenences". Like written out preferencess, requirements, etc. HOA can spell out what they want (land use) done with the space'n places around them. They can legally require what is done w/in their boundrise (you'll see plenty of covenents as they moved there w/specifics in mind, want to pomigate that arund them). Most my familiarity is a lill different: community land trusts, intentional communities and cohousing. But covenants and deed restrictions have come a long way since 1905/Pasadena (more current-CIDs and the Davis/Sterling Development Act).

There is one rental house on my entire street, and guess which one has all the parking, yard and noise problems. No thanks. I just wish my HOA would crack down.

Hoa is bush league. File a formal complaint with the township/borough/ Zoning Officer. Get familiar with the Ordinance rules (usually can download off the local website) you can really jam people up with zoning violations

I'm sorta on the fence on it. In our neighborhood for the most part you can tell which one's are rented and which one's isn't. Our east neighbor owns the house but it's a disaster front to back, the west neighbor rents and the backyard is disaster, north neighbor rents and their not too bad. If the owner has more involvement with the property and renters might have less issues.

Back