Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

I really like ethanol to be honest. I only chose what I did due to cost for the needs of my vehicle. If the 93 E10 was the same price I’d take that over 91 E0.

Ethanol is a resource that is huge that helps farmers because corn grows well in our country. I want to support our farmers and local business. I’ve worked trains taking ethanol made 20 minutes from my home to many places in the world. Not only for power but local farmers I’ve thought of doing the fuel system upgrade to switch my car to E85. As it stands now I will run out of fuel pump to go to E85 now at 25psi tuned.

I thought that the biggest issue with E85 for performance benefits is that the amount of ethanol (and thus octane rating) is inconsistent.

But yeah - the is an inherent need for oxygenates in fuel simply on the basis of improving octane rating and performance. MTBE has come out of favor. I don't believe methanol (which required corrosion inhibitors) has been blended in pump fuel in decades. I've heard of other possibilities but I don't think any have gone beyond the research stage.

But for the most part electricity is electricity. Charging a battery with a 110-120V or 400V source doesn't really matter once it comes time to drive. All that matters is that voltage conversion is done properly.

Don't think all that electricity around flammable liquids is a good combo.

Might be too late at this point. Modern gas pumps are basically computers and there are all sorts of electrical lines snaking through every gas station. There's all sorts of stuff at gas stations, including some with attached restaurants.

Might be too late at this point. Modern gas pumps are basically computers and there are all sorts of electrical lines snaking through every gas station. There's all sorts of stuff at gas stations, including some with attached restaurants.
You're right but adding more potential sparks can't be good.

You're right but adding more potential sparks can't be good.

You'd be surprised.

I remember years ago I needed a tire repaired and got it patched at a service station that was part of a gas station. The guy doing it had a heater in his mouth while he was doing it about 10 feet from the closest gas pump. I also remember pumping gas once where I was worried since there was a vagrant hanging out on the property smoking.

Let the gas station owners decide for themselves. Do they really want EVs taking up space for up to an hour or more? Let them decide.
This is a very good point that no one has brought up. We've all been to crowded gas stations before. And it's a royal pain. Most have too many cars and not enough real estate or parking to handle them. Let alone enough pumps during high traffic hours, before and after work.

Then you always have non fuel customers taking up space buying lottery tickets, coffee, Jujubees, newspapers, 68 ounce bladder buster drinks, etc.

Now they want to add charging stations on top of all that? It would create a clogged up mess. How many have driven past over crowded gas stations, and looked for a more vacant one? It's common as dirt.

As you mentioned, it takes a long time to charge EV batteries. Not 5 minutes like the gas and lottery ticket customers.

And imagine what it would be like if they actually sold all EV's that they're dreaming about. And not the existing 2% on the roads.

This is a very good point that no one has brought up. We've all been to crowded gas stations before. And it's a royal pain. Most have too many cars and not enough real estate or parking to handle them. Let alone enough pumps during high traffic hours, before and after work.

Then you always have non fuel customers taking up space buying lottery tickets, coffee, Jujubees, newspapers, 68 ounce bladder buster drinks, etc.

Now they want to add charging stations on top of all that? It would create a clogged up mess. How many have driven past over crowded gas stations, and looked for a more vacant one? It's common as dirt.

As you mentioned, it takes a long time to charge EV batteries. Not 5 minutes like the gas and lottery ticket customers.

And imagine what it would be like if they actually sold all EV's that they're dreaming about. And not the existing 2% on the roads.
I'm glad you got my point. It amazes me that some people think a gas station is a shopping mall, lol, it's not. It's bad enough you get the jerks that fill up, leave the car at the pump, go in to take a leak and buy a pack of gum while tying up a pump, instead of parking it in a spot after they gas up. Now add to that people charging an EV, with their lounge chairs making it a social gathering. I did read that here on Bitog a while back about people bringing lounge chairs and bonding with other EV owners while they charge. Hey that's all fine and dandy, but let the owner of the gas station decide if he wants to be bothered with that, not Uncle Sam. Oh yea I don't buy cars to make friends or bond while I'm gassing up, if I need another friend I'll get a dog. ;)

We help pay for lots of things we may never use. Roads, bridges, airports etc. Isn't a cleaner future for our kids a priority?
But we "may" use them, and the vast, vast majority of people already do.

I would be much more supportive of EV's but frankly the whole thing is one big enviro sham being forced upon us. People just want to double down instead of seeing the truth that EV's "in total" are NOT enviro friendly, or motorist friendly.

But we "may" use them, and the vast, vast majority of people already do.

I would be much more supportive of EV's but frankly the whole thing is one big enviro sham being forced upon us. People just want to double down instead of seeing the truth that EV's "in total" are NOT enviro friendly, or motorist friendly.
They will increasingly become more environmental and motorist friendly with widespread adoption.

Back