Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

I see the possibility of staying there longer and buying more stuff. That's kind of the rationale behind privately operated complimentary EV charging.
That's fine as long as the taxpayers aren't paying for the electricity.

There are a lot of services that are paid for by taxpayers. I can go to a public rest stop to go to the bathroom rather than at a McDonald's 10 miles away.
Public rest stops never paid to charge EV's. They shouldn't be doing it now.

We've got them in California, and apparently similar in New York. I suppose they can justify that in NY where they have revenue from the businesses.
They have even more revenue if they slapped a meter on them and charged for the electric. They're crying they're broke, here's another reason they need money. lol

We help pay for lots of things we may never use. Roads, bridges, airports etc. Isn't a cleaner future for our kids a priority?
I'm not against EV, especially hybrid, they have a place. I'm not for mandates, tax credits etc. And they are not the answer to every situation.

It's not cleaner. It's still coal fired in most places, and the efficiency of coal fired electricity is not higher than fuel in an ice at point of use. In fact with the heavy metals and increased plastics and weight, it may worse than ice cars.

I'm not against EV, especially hybrid, they have a place. I'm not for mandates, tax credits etc. And they are not the answer to every situation.

It's not cleaner. It's still coal fired in most places, and the efficiency of coal fired electricity is not higher than fuel in an ice at point of use. In fact with the heavy metals and increased plastics and weight, it may worse than ice cars.

No. Coal is dying as a source of electrical generation. Coal started dropping as the price of natural gas went down. Natural gas was the leading source starting over a decade ago.

outlet-graph-large.jpg

That is actually not true - at least here.

Refiners are given a quota of the amount of Ethanol they must blend into their mix. If they use their quota they can sell regular E87 as pure gas - thats why the pumps here say "as much as 10%". The quota is set at the first of the year I think, so the actual amount varies a bit. Also gas stations can sell pure gas - they do here - but its more money.

Coercion, yes. Force - no.
When I looked it up before I only found 7 states that required a minimum of 10% ethanol. It seems the rest of the states do not have any requirement to have ethanol in fuels, but from what you're saying it's happening with the refiners themselves. I like the power advantages of ethanol in fuel but for me it's actually cheaper to run ethanol free 91 octane and it meets the fuel requirements for my car's tune. 93 octane E10 is a dollar more than regular here. 91 E0 is only forty cents more than regular. I think that's just a benefit of Kwik Trip so I may have gotten lucky there. I would run the 93 if the price was the same. I don't think I'll notice a fuel economy difference with 10% ethanol. I've definitely seen the difference in higher blends. I could get away with 30% on my F150 before the fuel economy started to slip.

The idea of typical gas stations installing chargers makes little sense, unless they have a lot of extra room and something for the vehicle owners to do.

The better location is shopping centers, coffee shops like Starbucks, etc where people spend a little time. I would guess most people charge for 10 to 40 minutes. Adding something more profitable would make investment more attractive. Around here office buildings, hospitals, Walmarts and the like have chargers. Charging while work is a great option.

Currently, it makes sense to locate chargers right off the freeway as most owners charge at home and only need to charge when traveling more of a distance. If and when EV owners do not have at-home charging, more options might make sense.

As for a mandate, even if you were in favor of one, unless there is a demand for chargers, it makes zero sense at best.

I would think a regular gas station wouldn't see many EVs anyway. The first Kwik Trip Tesla Supercharger location is right off the freeway and is nearly truck stop level. I think a mandate would basically guarantee worse service from a business that doesn't want to deal with them. I'd rather have locations that are happy to supply the service which means they'll be much more likely to keep them in good service and clean.

The only thing I don't like about Superchargers at unmanned locations is the trash. It seems people are sloppy no matter what they drive and it's too hard to walk 3 parking spaces to the trash can.

I never smell fumes from any modern car.
To be honest I really only notice it when it's cold out if the car is stock, meaning it's probably before the vehicle is warmed up and its most efficient cycle. It's not so much the exhaust itself but unburned fuel in that case. Modified vehicles are another thing, but most cars don't naturally have a smell from running in an open environment in my experience.

I would think a regular gas station wouldn't see many EVs anyway. The first Kwik Trip Tesla Supercharger location is right off the freeway and is nearly truck stop level. I think a mandate would basically guarantee worse service from a business that doesn't want to deal with them. I'd rather have locations that are happy to supply the service which means they'll be much more likely to keep them in good service and clean.

The only thing I don't like about Superchargers at unmanned locations is the trash. It seems people are sloppy no matter what they drive and it's too hard to walk 3 parking spaces to the trash can.
To optimize EV charging benefits, you need to have sufficient stalls and location. Typical gas stations ain't it.

To optimize EV charging benefits, you need to have sufficient stalls and location. Typical gas stations ain't it.
Exactly it. The one I mentioned already had parking on the far edge of the lot that wasn't seeing much usage. It was probably the perfect scenario to make it happen and now that it has they may look into this for the future and even build with this in mind. I'll be interested in seeing where it goes. Another one has now left access to a 240V outlet labels "Electric Car Charger" that they do not charge for use of, but it's still better than nothing. It's also on the edge of the property.

Petaluma Shopping center, early one morning. You don't even have to back in. Pacific right over those hills... That's our 3 getting some go-go juice. Notice how they make the handicap stalls nice and wide. This is how you do it. Right off hwy 101 in the wine country.
1705787084865.jpg

No. Gas stations should be able to sell whatever legal products they want. And they should not be mandate to sell anything even gas.

When I looked it up before I only found 7 states that required a minimum of 10% ethanol. It seems the rest of the states do not have any requirement to have ethanol in fuels, but from what you're saying it's happening with the refiners themselves. I like the power advantages of ethanol in fuel but for me it's actually cheaper to run ethanol free 91 octane and it meets the fuel requirements for my car's tune. 93 octane E10 is a dollar more than regular here. 91 E0 is only forty cents more than regular. I think that's just a benefit of Kwik Trip so I may have gotten lucky there. I would run the 93 if the price was the same. I don't think I'll notice a fuel economy difference with 10% ethanol. I've definitely seen the difference in higher blends. I could get away with 30% on my F150 before the fuel economy started to slip.

I'm not really all that sure about ethanol mandates ever really being that critical. Especially in a place where there's a high demand for premium fuel. There is no more effective octane booster than 10% ethanol. Maybe 15% ethanol.

The primary commodity base fuel sold is RBOB, which is specifically meant to be blended with exactly 10% fuel ethanol which has to be denatured with gasoline) to make 87 AKI unleaded.

As for gas stations adding EV charging, who knows. I don't see it mandated because it may not make that much sense to do so voluntarily given the nature of gas station economics. It's highly driven by convenience store sales but not by sit down customers (like fast food) who might have an excuse to be waiting there if they're charging an EV.

I'm not really all that sure about ethanol mandates ever really being that critical. Especially in a place where there's a high demand for premium fuel. There is no more effective octane booster than 10% ethanol. Maybe 15% ethanol.

The primary commodity base fuel sold is RBOB, which is specifically meant to be blended with exactly 10% fuel ethanol which has to be denatured with gasoline) to make 87 AKI unleaded.

As for gas stations adding EV charging, who knows. I don't see it mandated because it may not make that much sense to do so voluntarily given the nature of gas station economics. It's highly driven by convenience store sales but not by sit down customers (like fast food) who might have an excuse to be waiting there if they're charging an EV.
I really like ethanol to be honest. I only chose what I did due to cost for the needs of my vehicle. If the 93 E10 was the same price I’d take that over 91 E0.

Ethanol is a resource that is huge that helps farmers because corn grows well in our country. I want to support our farmers and local business. I’ve worked trains taking ethanol made 20 minutes from my home to many places in the world. Not only for power but local farmers I’ve thought of doing the fuel system upgrade to switch my car to E85. As it stands now I will run out of fuel pump to go to E85 now at 25psi tuned.

Back