Should dealer give this guy brand new truck ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda like the guy who went way over the OCI in his truck, and used the wrong oil. And expected Ford to make it right....

The *best* the he can hope for is another motor.

Last edited:
The guy didn't even check the oil?

He should walk, because obviously even bike chain maintenance would be too much for him. He's angry? He's a faker - how can you be really angry when you already turned your man card in?

This situation is what pleases me about the now more brainy PCMs that, for example, note how many miles you've been driving since the CEL came on.

Saturn in all their wisdom had a code in the mid 90s indicating the low coolant light came on.

Ford has to decide between spending a couple bucks per vehicle on "low oil level" sensors that could save engines and look good in court, vs buying random warranty engines for losers up to no good.

GM had problems with the V-6 down here, when Australian customers who were unused to 1 litre in 5,000km consumption ended up with vehicles that emptied the sump in 5,000km as "normal"

GM sucked it up, replaced a heap of engines, then ordered shorter dipsticks and bigger sumps.

I'd hope that an engine that empties it's sump in 5,000 miles would get replaced under warranty, as regardless of owner checks, that's the manufacturer shifting the cost of production to the cost of ownership.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
When we lived in NM Tony gave me a new suburban for our anniversary. He checked the oil a couple months later and discovered it had white foam. Tony was very nice when he took it in and the shop found it had a cracked block. We were offered a loaner car (no cost) and the shop decided it was taking to long to get a new motor in so they put a new heavy duty motor in and extended the warranty. The difference is how he treated everyone. The guy should not get a new truck and with his attitude I hope he does not get an extended warranty. Think about how he will treat the service department.

So very true. And my buddy actually did get a new truck. He bought his s10 in after 14k due to the fact it was burning oil. I don't remember exactly what the problem was (top of the engine, I think) but they were going to fix it under warranty. Long story short-his nearly brand new truck (and his first new car) fell off one of the bays, totaling it. He was pretty upset, but kept being cool and nice because he really liked the people there.

Anyways, they felt really bad, so after he looked at the damage, they told him to go around the back. He went...and found a new extended cab Silverado base (newish 99 style at time) to give him. Kinda funny, since that was the truck he really wanted anyways. And paid around half of the old loan for him as well. It's not very often you get a brand new truck for less than 10 grand.....proof being nice has it's advanages.

He still has that truck too......

Last edited:
No, the dealer should tell that guy to pound sand for verbally abusing their staff. Cursing is only useful for dulling physical pain in extreme situations, and convincing the rest of the world one has verbal diarrhea when not physically injured.

In reality, the dealer will likely put in a new engine and give the guy a free oil change in 3k miles to make sure the new engine has oil in it.

We had a similar situation, whereby a 4.0L V6 seized in an Explorer due to oil starvation. I'm not sure about the exact particulars, but Ford gave a green light to rebuild the engine, whilst the customer wanted a brand new vehicle to replace his.

The problem was that once the truck left the dealership, all the servicing was done by an independent quick lube using Castrol GTX 20W-50. Ford calls for 10W-30 in this part of the world. The dealership did not void the warranty, but all the services he missed will have to be performed to keep the warranty. So he was told the engine would be rebuilt, on the condition that he agrees to have all the services he missed done. Basically includes stuff like ATF and PSF replacement, fuel filter, etc.

He isn't happy, and is apparently filing a complaint with the government-run Consumer Protection Agency, as well as writing about "our incompetence" to the editors of all newspapers.

I think that was quite nice of Ford, after all when the owner doesn't do DUE DILLIGENCE to maintain his vehicle according to the mfrs specification as written in the owners manualI believe they should get nothing.

I would be embarrassed to have let a relatively new vehicle suffer a seized engine due to lack of oil (except in the case of unforeseen lubrication system failure).

If the dummy light and oil pressure gauge are functional, then frankly I cant see how the guy deserves anything.

Even if the engine still has the factory filter on it and it was defective and leaking, I can't see how he could destroy the engine... turn it off!

I agree with Helen. If he was friendly, the dealer might work with him on something. If not, no dice. It doesnt seem like he is very nice.

I would want a new truck too, but a new engine is the best that is seemingly reasonable...

The only story I've heard of that resulted in a new vehicle was an elderly friend of mine...

He bought a new towncar almost every 2 years. Had the current one for about a year or so and took it in for a routine oil change at the dealer. It fell off the lift. The service manager told him to go pick a new one off the lot and, at no cost to him, handed over the keys, processed the paperwork, and sent him on his way.

I would dare say attitude and behavior, as suggested by others here, played a big role in this as well.

Speak softly and carry a big stick. -Theodore Roosevelt

Originally Posted By: bigmike

what is this mean ?
confused2.gif
grin.gif

Same thing sort`ve happened to my best friend`s wife`s brand new Escape. Engine just went to pieces! Ford replaced the engine only. What a piece of junk.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Same thing sort`ve happened to my best friend`s wife`s brand new Escape. Engine just went to pieces! Ford replaced the engine only. What a piece of junk.

?

I smell a ford hater....
27.gif

I once had brand______ that was junk too.
Shoot my Dodge 3500 locked a REAR end up = Cummins are in a [censored] truck... My dad's uncle's son's friend ....That [censored] is pointless.... FACTS ON FACTS PLEASE!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: bigmike

what is this mean ?
confused2.gif
grin.gif

Hope you've had a chance to read the wiki on Theodore Roosevelt, one of our great presidents. He believed that a man should speak softly (negotiate peacfully, be firm, polite, reasonable) but carry a big stick (be ready to fight, and have the muscle/military power to back up your position)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Roosevelt

I did two combat deployments on the nuclear aircraft carrier that bears his name...CVN-71 USS Theodore Roosevelt...known as...yep..."The Big Stick"...

http://www.roosevelt.navy.mil/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back