Shotshells in a Henry .22

Give these a try. At 20 grains and 420fps (something like 8 lbs energy), they are super weak and super quiet.

PXL_20240202_133724509.jpg

I can't imagine tiny lead shot would damage steel rifling . MAYBE over the course of many hundreds of rounds . Maybe ..

I'd get the 710fps rounds.. They will take out possum and groundhogs.. and I can shoot a 1" group at 100ft.
Just make sure you are always shooting down not up.

they have these
1706882319206.jpg

and also ones with a fragmenting bullet
1706882422998.jpg

Those 400fps primer only are also an option but you had better sight them in good as the drop over an extra 25 or 50ft is pretty big.

I bought a few boxes of the quiet 22 to get sighted in and comfortable with the drop over distance.. then confirmed the segmented hp shoot almost the same.. (one is 4.99 the other 9.99)

FWIW: Shooting out of my marlin 25n bolt action they are quieter than almost all air-guns.
You can shoot and hold a conversation with no hearing protection easily.

Last edited:
Over time it wears the rifling
Lead shot will not wear rifling. The lead in shot is no different than the lead in solid projectiles. However, if you shoot enough lead shot in a rifled barrel you may get some leading. If you don't know how to remove leading without leaving scratches in the bore, then don't shoot lead shot. If you have bronze wool to push the lead out, then shoot as much lead shot as you want. This is probably the reason they say not to shoot lead shot.

Lead shot will not wear rifling. The lead in shot is no different than the lead in solid projectiles. However, if you shoot enough lead shot in a rifled barrel you may get some leading. If you don't know how to remove leading without leaving scratches in the bore, then don't shoot lead shot. If you have bronze wool to push the lead out, then shoot as much lead shot as you want. This is probably the reason they say not to shoot lead shot.
The plastic shotshell will reduce the fouling but leave plastic residue. Its somewhat helped by the low velocity of the .22 shotshell.

The real issue is a shotshell in a rifled barrel will likely fire in a donut pattern.. its more for a snake on the ground than picking off a bird.

Edit:
I'd try the primer only .22lr and if those arent sufficient(accuracy) the 710fps segmenting.

if its within 50-75ft the primer only should do fine.
here is a video of a guy shooting drywall with them.
Its basically a .22lr pellet gun with those.

Last edited:
I have a couple Henry lever action .22's a Golden Boy and a regular one. I have my first gun a Remington 514 single shot that I have owned for 50 years. Before I graduated from high school I would take that gun and run bird shot through it all the time. I am talking couple thousand rounds if not more. The gun is still very accurate and I do not believe it damage the rifling at all. BTW those Henry's are a very nice rifle for the money and so nice looking you are scared to scratch the stock. Beautiful gun.

When we were kids (yes Jurassic) - dad and his buddies used to tell us the possibility of shot shells in rifled barrels exploding was real. Pellets tumble, clog, bam.........pretty sure now that's not a thing.

Maybe they were referring to 12 or 20g rifled slug barrels..........tales from on old!

I love your Henry - a beautiful classic - but might a high powered air rifle be better for this purpose? By “protecting my bluebirds” are you shooting some varmint?
This ^^^ I put up Purple Martin houses - don’t want trash birds around that kill other species (raid and break eggs) …
My Gamo .177 is a Starling darling …

This ^^^ I put up Purple Martin houses - don’t want trash birds around that kill other species (raid and break eggs) …
My Gamo .177 is a Starling darling …
MY MAN!!!!!!!!!!

The plastic shotshell will reduce the fouling but leave plastic residue. Its somewhat helped by the low velocity of the .22 shotshell.

The real issue is a shotshell in a rifled barrel will likely fire in a donut pattern.. its more for a snake on the ground than picking off a bird.

Edit:
I'd try the primer only .22lr and if those arent sufficient(accuracy) the 710fps segmenting.

if its within 50-75ft the primer only should do fine.
here is a video of a guy shooting drywall with them.
Its basically a .22lr pellet gun with those.

Now I gotta find that ammo....

Rand, Thanks!

When we were kids (yes Jurassic) - dad and his buddies used to tell us the possibility of shot shells in rifled barrels exploding was real. Pellets tumble, clog, bam.........pretty sure now that's not a thing.

Maybe they were referring to 12 or 20g rifled slug barrels..........tales from on old!
Not possible, it's just an old Dad's tale.

Forgot o mention in my above post that the low velocity CCI long rifle ,22 rounds fragment into three sections on impact. This is one reason they are so deadly at the lower speeds. Hit a rabbit at 30-35 yards and he is lucky to get four or five feet before he dies. These are great rounds where you don't want high speed because of close neighbors orlots of sound.

I use CCI .22 shot shells with success. Any .22 should work at least one at a time. They may not cycle through lever or semi-magazines if you need a quick second shot.

Now I gotta find that ammo....

Rand, Thanks!
You actually want the non-super.
The super is 590
the non super is 430?
They make some funky stuff.. they have a shortcase 60grain .22lr "sniper" as well.(not what you want)

Rand, I had to go on a bunch of “notify” lists. It seems nobody carries it. It will serve my needs perfectly.

Rand, I had to go on a bunch of “notify” lists. It seems nobody carries it. It will serve my needs perfectly.
becareful some scammy sites out there
if they list zelle or venmo as a payment type beware.

becareful some scammy sites out there
if they list zelle or venmo as a payment type beware.
Yep, that one that someone sent me wanted zelle and venmo and a $145 minimum order.

Back