Shotshells in a Henry .22

Just purchased a Henry .22 (H001T) and the owner's manual says to not use shotshells in it. Why? They do make a smoothbore
designed specifically for shotshells. I gotta kill a few things here in town and shotshells work a lot better, LOL.

The issue would probably cause a feeding problem. Call Henry they are a good company.

Yeah, I emailed them this morning. Being lever action I don’t see it being a feeding problem. But, I’ve never owned a lever action before.
I know in a semi auto the shotshells didn’t eject 75% of the time. That’s why I got the Henry.

I think that Henry will run .22 shorts - would they be mild enough for your purpose?

The Federal brand shotshells with the long brass casing can jam in some guns. The long case hits the ejector, but can't flip way because part of the casing is still in the barrel. CCI shotshells are encased in a plastic bulb which should prevent the shot from contacting the barrel, and the fired case is no longer than a regular shell so ejection is not a problem. In a rifle, the spin may cause faster dispersion of the shot pattern. A smoothbore will probably give a tighter pattern.

I love your Henry - a beautiful classic - but might a high powered air rifle be better for this purpose? By “protecting my bluebirds” are you shooting some varmint?

The Federal brand shotshells with the long brass casing can jam in some guns. The long case hits the ejector, but can't flip way because part of the casing is still in the barrel. CCI shotshells are encased in a plastic bulb which should prevent the shot from contacting the barrel, and the fired case is no longer than a regular shell so ejection is not a problem. In a rifle, the spin may cause faster dispersion of the shot pattern. A smoothbore will probably give a tighter pattern.
I only use the CCI with the blue plastic bulb.

I love your Henry - a beautiful classic - but might a high powered air rifle be better for this purpose? By “protecting my bluebirds” are you shooting some varmint?
Other birds that fight them. I feed live meal worms in bluebird feeders 2 different locations and had 27 babies last year in 3 houses. Wrens are on my terror watch list as they will overtake bluebird houses and nests.

You can buy .22 rounds with aa ow velocity of about 750 fps.. CCI makes them. I used them with great success in the suburbs to eliminate rabbit in my garden. The sound on firing is no louder than a loud handclap when used in a rifle (which I did) and they are lethal to small animals like rabbits and squirrels. That is what I would use in the Henry. BTW, they like regular .22 LR rounds.

Valid point. But I needed a .22.

Get this. The cci shotshells in my possession have a sticker price on the 2 boxes for $2.99 each. I
just paid $9.99 for the exact same thing yesterday. That’s some serious inflation. Lol

I’ll look around for some low velocity LR and some shorts. And I’ll see what Henry says.

Valid point. But I needed a .22.

Get this. The cci shotshells in my possession have a sticker price on the 2 boxes for $2.99 each. I
just paid $9.99 for the exact same thing yesterday. That’s some serious inflation. Lol
I know I had the same shock last time I bought some.. I have a single shot savage with a smoothbore. You can probably find one of those for around $150. the little shells pattern far better out of a smoothbore. I use it instead of a gig for frogs.

Back