Short first run of GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday, the '99 Accord will get its first fill of GC. This car has had only two 3k runs of dino in its 90K, with the rest all being what I now know were Group III syns.
I am planning OCIs in the 5-6K range, and I wonder whether I should make the first run of GC a bit shorter?

Do a short run 300ish miles and throw the used oil in your toys! Man i highly suggest you not put GC in a honda. they require a thin 20w and GC is a 40W almost!

Accords from 2002 back do fine on 0W30. They were spec'd for 5W30 and many dealers at that time still carried 10W30 bulk which ran fine in them. Beginning in 2003 the Accord's engine was all-new and called for 5W20. It runs well on 5W20 too with enviable UOA's. Having two Accords I have run both 20wt and 30wt oils in both of them and I can't tell the difference in any way. The very same engine in a non-USA Accord uses 5W40.
If I had an Accord and I ran the snot out of it such as extended high speed driving I would keep it full of 0W30 or 5W30. You would see less consumption in most of those cases. My two Accords get pampered(i rarely drive them)and they both run 5W20 out to 7K miles with no consumption. If I was going to stretch them out on the interstate alot at speeds of 80mph I would go to an oil like GC or Schaeffer's 9000 series 5W30.

Mokanic,
A bit off my own topic, but do you think that the earlier timing belt engine, which both of my Accords have, would do well on a 20wt?
WRT "running the snot out of it", the '99 is my wife's commuter, about 60 miles a day, and she has never been shy about using the right pedal. Also, you have to appreciate a wife who drives (and prefers) a three pedal car.

Well, the GC has been in for a week and about 320 miles.
The engine does seem quieter, although this may be a placebo effect.
Fuel economy was 29.6 mpg on this tank, maybe a little below the long run average. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back