Shipping a Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Al
Driving 2500 miles on an underpowered manual spark ain't happening. Looks like $1200 with any number of reputable carriers.

Have your grandson come and get it. Then let him drive it back. Esp if you're giving it to him since I think you mentioned that before in another thread if memory serves correct.

edit: ok just saw above post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Al
He doesn't want it. Can't blame him. I am just donating $5k for him to purchase something.

Is this going to be his first car? How old is he and what does he want? $5K could get him in a lot of trouble with some cheap fast cars. '90s Mustang and Camaro V8's come to mind right off. [censored], there was a post here yesterday about some young guy in an old Mercedes going 132 mph and flipping it off a bridge in Florida.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Why not drive down, and fly home.
I'm sure your grandson would love to see you, and it'd be a great "farewell" to the car.

Great idea.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Al
He doesn't want it. Can't blame him. I am just donating $5k for him to purchase something.

Is this going to be his first car? How old is he and what does he want? $5K could get him in a lot of trouble with some cheap fast cars. '90s Mustang and Camaro V8's come to mind right off. [censored], there was a post here yesterday about some young guy in an old Mercedes going 132 mph and flipping it off a bridge in Florida.

He is 19 and in the Marines. He is a very sensible kid he is looking at a dodge dart. He has a great friend who is very good in this area. At this point I am out of It. I love my grandchildren but don't live thru them

Originally Posted by Al

He is 19 and in the Marines. He is a very sensible kid he is looking at a dodge dart. He has a great friend who is very good in this area. At this point I am out of It. I love my grandchildren but don't live thru them

Wise decision.

Originally Posted by Al

They never really said what the model of the car was, but looking at the interior, I think it was an older 2003-2006 Mercedes E320/350 with the sport package and real leather seats. Guy wasn't wearing a seat belt either. The 2006 had bad balance shafts so those are priced pretty low, but even the 2003-2005 models had their share of problems. You can buy them in the 3-7k range now.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Al

They never really said what the model of the car was, but looking at the interior, I think it was an older 2003-2006 Mercedes E320/350 with the sport package and real leather seats. Guy wasn't wearing a seat belt either. The 2006 had bad balance shafts so those are priced pretty low, but even the 2003-2005 models had their share of problems. You can buy them in the 3-7k range now.

Yea, that's what I was thinking, or the CLK. Don't remember if they have speed limiters but they can certainly do over 130 regardless.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Al

Yea, that's what I was thinking, or the CLK. Don't remember if they have speed limiters but they can certainly do over 130 regardless.

I don't think it was a coupe just because you can see the doors and I think it's a regular sedan. Depending on the model, top speed could have been 155 or 130. It's dangerous going that fast even in daylight sober, let alone at night with a few drinks, in the rain, on a curve...

Originally Posted by Al

Being realistic any car will off the road if driven past its limits of conditions. Look at the guy on BITOG who drove his Civic off the road driving supposedly 70MPH in rain.

Car dealers must get a great price. A friend has purchased slightly used certified southern vehicles like MB RL320, BMW 540 and others from the south and has them delivered to his home. The fee is typically is $500. He does not have enough time in life to buy cars locally that are more expensive.

If you're looking to do it on the cheap, I've used a good carrier called a1 auto transport, inc. They operate all over the US and I think they have offices in most major cities. They also have storage available if you need it for any reason. Definitely worth giving them a call. They came in more than $100 under any other quote I got and they didn't jack the price after the fact like I've heard many do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back