Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 - Quality, Thoughts?

I have it now in BMW, silky smooth.

psstt gotta update your sig

Isn't this just Pennzoil Euro 5w40? Shell owns pennzoil, and I recall reading somewhere that the Shell brand is just the international brand for pennzoil. I wouldn't be opposed of sticking my money where my mouth is and do a VOA if enough people are interested. I already did one for PP Euro 5w40 (see signature).

Specifications: API SN/CF; ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4; BMW LL-01; MB approval 229.5, 226.5; VW 502.00/505.00; Porsche A40; Renault RN0700, RN0710; PSA B71 2296, Ferrari.

Meets the requirements of Fiat 9.55535-Z2 and Chrysler MS-10725
And if you can’t find Shell Helix 5w40, try Pennzoil Euro 5w40. Exceeds Maserati. :D

97E15EEA-925B-47A4-94BA-F4DC9DA1C5D6.png

psstt gotta update your sig

Isn't this just Pennzoil Euro 5w40? Shell owns pennzoil, and I recall reading somewhere that the Shell brand is just the international brand for pennzoil. I wouldn't be opposed of sticking my money where my mouth is and do a VOA if enough people are interested. I already did one for PP Euro 5w40 (see signature).
It is same oil, it is Shell that is in Pennzoil bottles. Not sure who got idea that somehow Pennzoil is running their own shop. Shell bought Pennzoil bcs. of name, not bcs. pennzoil was superior product.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Good oil, definitely a "thinner" 5w40, as a lot of Euro 5w40 oils are in my experience. I ran it for 5000 miles. Ran no differently than others. It has a decent additive package.

Nope, for sure, but for 15€/5L, and 229.5 cert, I'm putting it in many friends' cars! Price drew me to it, it's old school compared to other products, probably. Good for old cars... API certs are not worth much compared to ACEA.
For some reason I thought you wanted a thick 5W40, but now that I reread, my mistake.

I was looking for a State-of-the-art Oil, no problem if it is on the thinner side of -40.

I just have a hard time to find real prove (Data, Test, Comparsions) that GTL is almost as good as PAO, regarding heatresistence - Piston Deposits.

For good oil change intervals the focus should probably be on approved long life oils or the HDEO oils like the Rimula LME Plus etc. Testing would be done for wear, oxidative thickening, TAN and sorts of cleanliness. Grp. III seems sufficient actually.
For an overall cleanliness from base oils the more interesting components would be AN or OSP (oil miscible PAG) complements and else, but additivation can still turn it all upside down anytime, I understand. Comparing GTL (or even HC) and PAO as such is almost pointless as without treatment there's not much resistance in either, HC's already in the same league.
But for minimizing deposits as such all will depend on what kind of deposits you're worrying about. Most should be covered by the modern approvals. Some not too reliably, others basically not at all.

All of it has a tendency of upsetting people when not understanding Group IV and Group V as golden along just a few lines. Don't know if you followed some questioning...

For thermal stability in yet another sense I'd just rely on the Ferrari or Maserati :) Without necessarily following to the Ultra Racing. The Helix Ultra Racing has the viscosity profile that for the regular is seen in the UOA (including the lower pour points) and Pennzoil Ultra and Ultra Racing share it as well. Italians are oviously fine with it. A true racing oil from Pennzoil is also 70-90% GTL:
https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/073ce3d0-be37-4973-82f7-10a05181e86a.pdf

More linear alkanes are "GTL", more branched alkanes are PAO. The latter makes for the better low temperature performance of PAO, their true advantage. Higher VI of GTL and consequently lower VII needs also influence deposits. Probably an ultimate jury is still out. Believe me, I have a rotary.

Last edited:
I have a VOA of that as well in my signature. It's nothing special IMO. Just a lot of Calcium. It's certainly on the thicker side of 5w40 if you're into that and it doesn't have SN Plus certs.
Quartz 9000 is an inexpensive good 5W-40 that is SN, A3/B4, and Porsche A40 approved, and with a very strong add pack with lots of ZDDP and Calcium.

Sure, SHU's GTL base is better, but it's also a lot more expensive.

SAE20 just went on a little on piston ring glue: https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/43030-shell-helix-ultra-sn-0w-20-отработка-на-kia-ceed-jd-после-11006км/page/15/?tab=comments#comment-1771986

He's critical of VII naturally and of high TBN, but even unformulated PAO would add to the formation – I imagine he's talking about oil control rings where the Volkswagen etc. have their problems. A few millimeters up or down a piston and of course differences between engines and operating conditions quickly make for completely different pictures, but at least some position on some deposits.

Nope, for sure, but for 15€/5L, and 229.5 cert, I'm putting it in many friends' cars! Price drew me to it, it's old school compared to other products, probably. Good for old cars... API certs are not worth much compared to ACEA.
For some reason I thought you wanted a thick 5W40, but now that I reread, my mistake.
Where do you buy the quartz for that price? Normally shipping to the UK makes it as costly as Shell which is easily available here.

A German online store. Last time I bought was a bit more than a year ago though. Can't seem to find it on my phone right now, will see tonight. And maybe shipping to UK is a facto...I'm closer to them than you.
Opieoil and Amazon are not far behind usually, more practical for smaller quantities Maybe.

edit: found it. They raised the prise to 17€/5L. Last time I bought shipping wasn't expensive, I placed a big order so in the end that was perfectly ok. Didn't check this time. Amazon...prices sure went up :/

Last edited:
I stocked up on this years ago when it went on a ridiculous sale here in Australia. Great stuff but depends how cheap you can find it.
Yes I stocked up on it too when it went on sale. My two favourite full-SAPS oils are Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 and Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4.

You've actually inadvertently stepped on a very valid point. How does one ascertain the actual performance level for products like Redline or AMSOIL SS when they aren't approved against standards that actually measure it?
On that note, what's the protocol to distinguish between products that achieve the standards at minimum levels with those that exceed approvals & standards?

Back