Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30

Pennzoil Platinum Euro L is the same product
Yeah the Helix brand is not generally marketed to the US. At one time you could buy that brand from Ferrari dealerships but I don't know about today, even if you can it's likely not the product the OP is asking about.

Euro L is a remarkable product available at Walmart. Inexpensive and has BMW Longlife-04, Mercedes-Benz 229.51 and is ACEA C3. What's not to like?

Last edited:
Yeah the Helix brand is not generally marketed to the US. At one time you could buy that brand from Ferrari dealerships but I don't know about today, even if you can it's likely not the product the OP is asking about.

Euro L is a remarkable product available at Walmart. Inexpensive and has BMW Longlife-04, Mercedes-Benz 229.51 and is ACEA C3. What's not to like?
Thank you.
Wonder how Pennzoil Euro L compares to Mobil 1 European Synthetic. Any advantages?

Last edited:
Euro L and ESP line are both in C3 category. ESP has latest additives and LSPI tests passed.
On another note, it’s interesting how the Pennzoil Euro L is dexos approved, but the Mobil 1 European synthetic isn’t. Also, the Mobil 1 0W-30 Economy is dexos approved, but the Mobil 1 European synthetic isn’t. Go figure.

On another note, it’s interesting how the Pennzoil Euro L is dexos approved, but the Mobil 1 European synthetic isn’t. Also, the Mobil 1 0W-30 Economy is dexos approved, but the Mobil 1 European synthetic isn’t. Go figure.
There is nothing to go figure. Dexos1 is energy saving oil, so oil like Mobil1 5W30 that is ILSAC GF-6 will be Dexos1 approved. ESP line ACEA C3 is not energy saving oil.
On other hand, why it is not Dexos2 approved, I have no idea. But Dexos2 in general is not as stringent as MB, BMW or VW approvals.

In Eu there's two M1 5w-30 esp, the new formula, then the old that they renamed to mobil1 Esp Formula p 5w-30 (have the dexos 2)

There is nothing to go figure. Dexos1 is energy saving oil, so oil like Mobil1 5W30 that is ILSAC GF-6 will be Dexos1 approved. ESP line ACEA C3 is not energy saving oil.
On other hand, why it is not Dexos2 approved, I have no idea. But Dexos2 in general is not as stringent as MB, BMW or VW approvals.
FYI…Bulletin from GM.

dexos 1 gen 2

Please note: GM dexos 2 is being discontinued in 2025 and replaced by GM dexos D and GM dexos R. Vehicles equipped with diesel engines that used GM dexos 2 engine oil will use GM dexos D licensed engine oils, while vehicles equipped with gasoline engines will use GM dexos R licensed engine oils of the of the appropriate viscosity grade at their next oil change.

Exactly my point!
Why is Dexos2 not as stringent? GM may feel the same regarding MB, BMW and VW. Every manufacturer has their own standard. To each their own.

Last edited:
Exactly my point!
Why is Dexos2 not as stringent? GM may feel the same regarding MB, BMW and VW. Every manufacturer has their own standard. To each their own.
I don’t know how they feel, but it is not as stringent. On top of that, GM is only one that charges royalties. Dexos2 is not as widely used in C3 category, so Mobil1 might not bothering with it.

FYI…Bulletin from GM.

dexos 1 gen 2

Please note: GM dexos 2 is being discontinued in 2025 and replaced by GM dexos D and GM dexos R. Vehicles equipped with diesel engines that used GM dexos 2 engine oil will use GM dexos D licensed engine oils, while vehicles equipped with gasoline engines will use GM dexos R licensed engine oils of the of the appropriate viscosity grade at their next oil change.
There you go. Mobil1 dropped BMW LL04 in ESP a year before BMW actually dropped it. So they already know it will be dropped. If you need Dexos 2 or D, it doesn’t matter, MB22952 is still gold standard and you can use it.

Heard fantastic things about Shell Helix Ultra Professional AG 5W-30, which is dexos 2 approved. I’m having difficulty finding it.
Does anyone know where I can purchase it in the United States?
Thanks.

Onetime I was standing in the oil department at Autozone when a gentleman next to me had his Ferrari owners manual in hand and was looking for Shell Helix motor oil.

I don’t know how they feel, but it is not as stringent. On top of that, GM is only one that charges royalties. Dexos2 is not as widely used in C3 category, so Mobil1 might not bothering with it.
Exactly. Really who cares about dexos licensing for this product, it's not relevant to the intended market. And if one cannot understand the approvals it does have and how they relate to a dexos license then they should not use the product in that application.

Onetime I was standing in the oil department at Autozone when a gentleman next to me had his Ferrari owners manual in hand and was looking for Shell Helix motor oil.
Probably the first (and last) time he ever opened the manual...like any other car owner. ;)

The currently approved oil for the majority of Ferraris in North America is Pennzoil Platinum Racing 5w-40. No idea where it would be found other than at the Ferrari dealer. I have never seen it sold at the retail level anywhere. The previously approved oil was Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40. (it used to have the prancing horse on the bottle stating "Ferrari Approved". Pennzoil removed removed that labeling around 2019. I still have several of these older bottles on the shelf for "top ups".

My independent Ferrari service facility buys this "Racing" 5w-40 in 55 gal drums from the Shell/Pennzoil distributor.

Anyone know if this is significantly different than the previous Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40? Can't find the PDS currently online.

Last edited:
Seems like a differentiation opportunity to apply the Ferrari tax to oil. How expensive is it?

I struggle to imagine it performs any better than an oil that's got A40, LL-01, 229.5, 502 approvals. Not like many Ferrari's actually see track time and even then an A40 oil is going to perform more than sufficiently. Unless there was a warranty consideration I'd run PPE and not lose a minute of sleep.

Seems like a differentiation opportunity to apply the Ferrari tax to oil. How expensive is it?

I struggle to imagine it performs any better than an oil that's got A40, LL-01, 229.5, 502 approvals. Not like many Ferrari's actually see track time and even then an A40 oil is going to perform more than sufficiently. Unless there was a warranty consideration I'd run PPE and not lose a minute of sleep.
The oil is not that expensive...my independant service provider charges $9.50 per quart...11 quarts required.

Surprisingly, a lot of Ferrari owners do go to track days. All the dealers in North America sponsor multiple track days each year, including instruction as well. I believe it is required of the dealerships by Ferrari North America to offer it to their customers.

Back