Shell gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone see that new Shell commercial? They state that if you used their fuel, with identical cars, identical engines, identical driving, etc. etc. it would go further on a tank of gas than those that had not used Shell. WOW
shocked.gif
Now that takes some big Kahuna's!!!!

Hmmmm, I'd say this is due strictly to summer gas formulations. As far as I know they have fewer oxygenates. Oxygenates are better for the environment during the winter, but worse for fuel economy. Summer blends need few oxygenates because of the rise in ambient temp.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Its not to impossible to believe. If their gasoline has a high volumetric energy content, then on a volumetric basis it would be able to give you more miles per gallon. Do you recall many years ago in their advertisements when they used Platformate (I think the speeling is correct?)as a blending stock. they always talked about it giving you better mileage. That was correct as the Platformate provided a greater amount of aromatics to the gasoline which increased its density (or increased its BTU/gal). that had the net effect of giving you greater mileage than other gasolines. Now with the use of oxygenates at times, they certainly do lower the volumetric energy content giving you fewer mpgs.

Didn't see the commercial, but I saw an ad in August's issue of Car and Driver stating same. I intend to give it a try for a couple of tanks, since I usually buy Kroger gas.

Shell does use oxygenates in its fuel in markets is has to by law. Minnesota is one market where that is true. Statewide, all gasoline is blended with ethanol by state law.

Good luck actually getting "Shell" gasoline. Reality is gas in your market probably is coming from two or three refineries via pipeline - and none of the refineries probably flies the flag of the brand name of the gas you are buying.

My guess is the gasoline refined by Shell has a higher volumetric energy content than most of its competitors. That would translate to better fuel efficiency.

The trick would be finding gasoiline actually refined by them - nearly impossible here where 95% of the gasoline in this market comes from one of four refineries - none of which is Shell.

I was at a Shell tonight and I saw a sign claiming less friction from using their gasoline. So I guess it's an upper cylinder lubricant additive of some sort where they make their claim of less friction, thus more mileage.

It makes sense from all the differences since from summer to winter, different geographic markets, plus gasoline is a commodity that is transfered and pumped all over from all differnt refineries and companies, you can't really make claims on the refined gasoline itself.

Years ago when Shell advertised gasoline they had the same line. Better mileage with Shell then a competing brand. I saw the new comercial yesterday and it is definitely a flashback to the 60s.

Hi,

Not sure if it is the same stuff, but Shell have been selling Optimax here for some time which is a higher density fuel and is 98 Octane unleaded. It claims to give something like 10% better fuel economy as well as clean the fuel system. It costs abt 10 cents per litre extra. I've been using it for some time in all my cars, although I have recently tried the new BP Ultimate fuel, which is also 98 octane but slightly less density. A little cheaper as well.

Just remember folks, when the "boyz down under" or from Europe are posting octane numbers, they don't use (RON+MON)/2

I do believe many outside of the US (and maybe Canada too, isn't that just an unofficial state, just kidding eh?) simply present the RON number on their pumps, which is usually about 10 higher than the MON number.

Peep here: http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/RONMONPON.html

or even from the Shell guyz and galz from Canada (guess you do use PON up there)

http://www.shell.ca/code/motoring/encyclopedia/info/jargon.html

HTH,

TB

[ July 12, 2003, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: Tony Boner ]

Canada uses the same system as the US, which is the pump octane number (RO+MO/2), so our pumps have 87 octane as the lowest and anywhere from 91 to 94 as the highest, depending on the station (Sunoco is the highest, while Shell, Petro Can and Esso are at 91)

[ July 12, 2003, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Has anybody checked this stuff to see if Shells claim is true? I monitor my gas mileage on a regular basis, so I filled up today with shell and well, I guess we will see what happens.

The Shell website says the increased gas mileage is due to additives that reduce friction between the cylinder and piston/rings (?!) and better detergency. They claim a 1% improvement in gas mileage which would be hard to measure. In my area Mobil is more than 1% less expensive than Shell. I guess I'll stick with Mobil.

I wonder what Shell's anti-friction additive is and I wonder if it will show up in oil analysis reports?

This is straight off of Shell's website.

One opportunity Shell recently identified is reducing friction. Recently, we developed a gasoline formulation that in tests using standard EPA procedures shows improved fuel economy relative to a gasoline at minimum detergency requirement. Further, laboratory friction tests show that friction between moving parts can be reduced if this formulation mixes with the motor oil, which can occur through normal engine operation. The improvement in fuel economy is measurable under carefully controlled conditions and adds up over time.

Notice the part about thier additive mixing with the oil, Who knows it might show up on an UOA if they knew what to check for. Also notice the part about adding up over time, sounds like they want you to use thier Gas over a long period of time, surprise surprise.
grin.gif

Also note the statement "gasoline formulation", not additive formulation. A bit of a difference if you ask me!

Anyone really think you are always getting gasoline refined by Shell when you buy shell gasoline?
rolleyes.gif

This sounds really fishy, as I expected seeing the ads. What brands have minimum detergency? I usually buy Chevron or Arco (BP), which both claim to have superior detergency. Also, the fuel mixing with oil thing would mostly apply to engines with worn piston rings and/or carburators that tend to run rich-of-peak mixtures, not modern fuel injection.

I AM IMPRESSED

Noticed an MPG+ gain after running a tank of of new 89 Formula Shell.

It seems to be on par with Chevron-Techron.

This fuel is worthy of more posts.

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
I AM IMPRESSED

Noticed an MPG+ gain after running a tank of of new 89 Formula Shell.

It seems to be on par with Chevron-Techron.

This fuel is worthy of more posts.

Run the gas you are trying to compare to under the EXACT same conditions. Pretty tough to do!

Run it consistantly for a true comparison. One tank means nothing.

After seven years of fuel records on my '97 F150, you'd think if Shell were so great it would post numbers better than everyone else. Reality is they are a middle of the pack gasoline, nothing special.

FWIW, I do get better gas mileage, 1,5-2% depending on the vehicle, on BP/Amoco gasoline here - the only brand with a separate distribution system - refinery, pipeline, terminals, and tankers, in this market anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back