Shell full synthetic 5w-20 : 4,430 mis. '08 Yaris

Status
Not open for further replies.
sedan w/ 4 speed auto . This is the SN/GF-5 . Drove 22 miles before taking sample 1/2 way through draining of oil . Used from 9/18/11 ( 35,650 mis. ) to 1/24/12 ( 40,080 mis. ) . Replaced with the Shell full synthetic 5w-30 (SN/GF-5) . Always use Toyota ( Denso ) oil filter ( 90915-YZZF2 ) and air filter . Vacuum clean air filter ( topside ) with a crevice tool and the bottom of the housing with a brush about 1/2 way through the oil interval(s) . This run looks quite good . Here's the report from BLACKSTONE .

COMMENTS : Everything continues to look good in this latest report for your YARIS . Wear metals are nice and low compared to Universal Averages , and there are not any signs of contamination . Insolubles are still very low , at 0.2% , showing good oil filtration . The SHELL synthetic oil held up well , with the viscosity and physical properties all in range , and the TBN is still good at 4.0 , so there was lots of active additive left . We don't have any problems to report here .

Mis. on oil : 4,430
Mis. on Unit : 40,080
Sample Date : 1/24/12

Aluminum : 4
Chromium : 0
Iron : 9
Copper : 1
Lead : 0
Tin : 2
Molybdenum : 55
Nickel : 0
Manganese : 0
Silver : 0
Titanium : 0
Potassium : 2
Boron : 4
Silicon : 19
Sodium : 5
Calcium : 2173
Magnesium : 15
Phosphorus : 793
Zinc : 885
Barium : 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210F : 50.8 ( 46 59 )
cSt Viscosity @ 100C : 7.52 ( 6.0 10.2 )
Flashpoint in F : 375 ( > 355 )
Fuel % : Antifreeze % : 0.0 ( < 0.0 )
Water % : 0.0 ( < 0.1 )
Insolubles % : 0.2 ( < 0.6 )
TBN : 4.0

You can compare this U.O.A. to these 2 prior U.O.A.s for the '08 sedan and 2010 3 door for comparison . http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2432431&page=1 . The actual reports for both the YARIS are available at YARISWORLD . Go here , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38135 . Will need to be a member to see them . This SHELL was $4 a quart at BJs , now it's $3 a quart ( http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2504433&gonew=1#UNREAD ) . Will likely pick up another case ( 6 quarts ) of the 5w-20 sometime next month since these results are fine . Next O.C. would be due in JULY and would use the 5w-20 again during warmer months and possibly get another analysis of it in late December to mid January ( 2013 ) with higher miles on that 5w-20 to see how it holds up .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
Good report. If it were me, I'd go 6000 and resample.
We would , but it has a Platinum warranty from Toyota for 8 years or 125,000 miles . So needs to be done every 6 months or 5,000 miles .
frown.gif

If you can get FS full synthetic at a good price and change it out by every 5,000 miles under warranty you've obviously found a winner here, IMO. I'm curious to see what 5w-30 looks like on the same oil back from a 5w-20 grade.

Nice UOA, odie. It looks like your engine doesn't care about the oil viscosity or synthetic vs. conventional much. You have been getting the same consistent results with low wear values. This is what you would expect from the well-built engines like the Corolla engine -- robust and easy on oil, shows little wear in most conditions. The basic Corolla-engine design hasn't changed much since the 1980s -- it was more or less the same clearances and dimensions back then.

I have been running PYB 5W-20 for the last 3,000 miles in my 1985 Corolla 4A-LC engine and the engine is running very nice and smoothly. Thanks to replacing my valve-stem oil seals, oil consumption is very small -- only slightly below the F line after 3000 miles -- and that's probably mostly due to a small leak I have at the oil pan. I plan to run a UOA around 5000 miles.

For the next oil change, I am considering the Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0W-20 full synthetic. You're an OEM guy like me (OEM filters etc.). Have you considered the Toyota 0W-20 OEM motor oil? Perhaps it's time for you to upgrade from 5W-20 to 0W-20, which is a more modern synthetic. Note that, in US, OEM Toyota 0W-20 is made by ExxonMobil. A lot of people have been saying very good things about it, especially for cold-engine and warm-up performance thanks to its high viscosity index. You can negotiate it down to about $5 per quart at most good and honest Toyota dealers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back