SF Autoglide Z1 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
"youdontwannaknow" got me curious after he ran a Honda Z1 VOA. I sent this in within a week after he posted to try to get a test on a consistent basis (relative) from Blackstone.

I was actually surprised, a lot of phophorus. TAN was approximately where they said it would be, I wonder if Group V contributes to that. I had always thought TAN should start close to zero and tossed when it got near 1.0. I guess for thoses that are paranoid of Dealers checking ATF ("tracers") for warranty work, you wont like this. A simple test like this shows Phosphorus.

I thought most magnesium salts used in oils were abrasive, so I'm glad to see it go. Again as always, with this test we have no way of knowing what else is in there that might be specific only to Z1.

Specialty Formulations AutoGlide High Performance Synthetic Blend Automatic Transmission Fluid Z1

Test April 2007 - Material was purchased Summer 2006

ALUMINUM 0
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 0
COPPER 0
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 0
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 69
SILICON 1
SODIUM 1
CALCIUM 78
MAGNESIUM 1
PHOSPHORUS 261
ZINC 29
BARIUM 0
TAN 0.6
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF 49.8
Flashpoint F 365

Per the web site "a select blend of Group III (VHVI), Group IV (PAO), and Group V base oils"

Other data from the website...
Properties (Typical - which was for multiple types, Z1, Mercon V, ATF+4 etc )
Viscosity @ 100C 7.5 cSt ISO 32/46 - this translates to approx 50 SUS
Viscosity @ 40C 35 cSt
Viscosity Index (VI) 201 - Wow!!!!, must be a VI improver added on top of natually high numbers?
Flash Point 435F - blackstone was much lower
Fire Point 452F
Pour Point - 50F
Noack Volativity 2.07% (ASTM D-5800)
TAN 0.5
TBN 3.5
Color Red

Comparison of SF Autoglide Z1 to Honda Z1 (youdontwannaknow)

ALUMINUM 0/0
CHROMIUM 0/0
IRON 0/1
COPPER 0/0
LEAD 0/0
TIN 0/0
MOLYBDENUM 0/0
NICKEL 0/0
MANGANESE 0/0
SILVER 0/0
TITANIUM 0/0
POTASSIUM 0/0
BORON 69/290
SILICON 1/8
SODIUM 1/1
CALCIUM 78/395
MAGNESIUM 1/241
PHOSPHORUS 261/2
ZINC 29/380
BARIUM 0/0
TAN 0.6/0.1
SUS VISCOSITY @ 210 ºF 49.8/49.7
Flashpoint F 365/360

I can't wait to buy more. I hope SF returns.
stirthepot.gif

Very good information & great post! I had been wondering about this for a long time as well. Now we have some data for a relatively good comparison. Of course, a VOA doesn't tell the whole formulation story, but does provide some sort of a baseline for UOAs. Fortunately, Molakule does tell good info on his website. This info is strangely missing from Honda's website.
smile.gif

I hope SF returns as well. I'll buy 6 quarts of the SF Z1 fluid for our '02 Accord along with some other fluids.

Wow! I just logged in to reply to benjamming's UOA of the Amsoil ATF that I am curiously waiting to see how the Aluminium holds up with use of amsoil atf, and guess what I find!!

Thanks for the VOA BobXRC!. Appreciate your efforts.

Interesting how the two are so different - Mg/Ph/B/Ca/Zn. Maybe even the base oils are very different from honda z1.

Now we need to see some UOAs of the SF z1 !

Quote:

Any noticeable difference the way your trans ****s with SF ATF ??

Hard to say, I bought SF after my 5-speed died. Honda's remanufactured AT included a new ECU. Rumors are that the shift behavior was changed with the ECU, some claim there was some backing off on HP during shifting. The new transmission does seem to shift faster. When its cold, it has more "kick" in the first few shifts - which it never did with the old one. I don't have a good baseline anymore.

I was a little disappointed in what Honda calls remanufactured. My Ody was mint and clean. The remanufactured AT was all new accept for the case. The case looked like it had been soaked in motor oil and then involved in a Van fire. Amazing what you can drive into the pores of aluminum. Someone out there is lucky enough to get my old case - probably is now the cleanest thing under the hood. Honda paid for everything.

BTW. The trans died (Honda Ody 2002) at about 25K (its more of a weekend vehical, so it wasn't getting miles fast). I did simple drain and fills about 5 times before its death (every 5K after learning about the bad AT). In May last year, I got a sample of the ATF at the last drain and fill, Blackstone noted nothing out of wack accept for insolubles (high) - they made a comment that there must be sludge in the AT. It died within weeks of the test. Anyway, when I see UOA posting for the Honda AT, I always look for the insolubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back