Severe OCI

Both me and my wife do not have far commute for work maybe 10 miles max one way, and we mostly do city driving. I know typically the recommendation for severe OCI is 3,750 miles or 3 months. But, I always run full synthetic oil so I typically run 7,500 mile oil changes. So my question is should I keep my OCI the same or adjust it? because recently I hit 6 months and had only clocked ~5,500 miles, so I went ahead and changed the oil. Thanks for any insight!

If it's the cars in your description I'd probably keep what you're doing, Hyundai GDI engines are really bad on fuel dillution and soot in the oil and isn't the VQ in G35 is known to shear oil pretty bad. The Accord, you'd probably be fine going longer on.

I very much prefer the 5000 mile synthetic oil change for most vehicles. The exception would be engines that are known to last and don't have fuel dilution issues.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I very much prefer the 5000 mile synthetic oil change for most vehicles. The exception would be engines that are known to last and don't have fuel dilution issues.

Even for cars like a Mercedes which might have 7.5-8.5 quarts of synthetic oil and the regular change interval is 10k? I usually do mine in the 8-10k range for the M272.

Change it every 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Change it more often if you encounter any of these conditions:
-- extensive idling on a regular basis
-- severely dusty driving conditions
-- mostly stop/go city driving (70% or more of miles)
-- frequent short trips (less than 2 miles/5 minutes)
-- hauling, towing or other severe service

Perfect case for 5,000 mile intervals.

If you want, buy a higher quality oil filter (NAPA Gold, etc.) and change every other time (10K).

Nobody runs your driving conditions, your mileage and your vehicles except you. Anything that anyone says is speculation until YOU have UOA on your vehicle, driving conditions and mileage. Are you throwing away good oil? Do you really need to change so often? Could you go 10K and still have a reasonable safety factor? There are many synthetic oils on the market that the manufacturers claim will go much farther than what you're doing. Only your hairdresser knows-er, UOA. Do a UOA when YOU think it's time to change oil. Will you agree with yourself?

Originally Posted by blufeb95
If it's the cars in your description I'd probably keep what you're doing, Hyundai GDI engines are really bad on fuel dillution and soot in the oil and isn't the VQ in G35 is known to shear oil pretty bad. The Accord, you'd probably be fine going longer on.

So, are you saying to stick to 7,500 miles or 6 months or to go shorter on the Hyundai and Infiniti?

Originally Posted by DGXR
Change it every 7500 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Change it more often if you encounter any of these conditions:

So if you read my post then I check majority of those boxes. So back to the original question.. Should i go 3,750 even though I use full synthetic.

Originally Posted by TrainingPolicy

So if you read my post then I check majority of those boxes. So back to the original question.. Should i go 3,750 even though I use full synthetic.

Yes, the problem is fuel dilution and soot. Synthetic doesn't help that.

Originally Posted by blufeb95

So, are you saying to stick to 7,500 miles or 6 months or to go shorter on the Hyundai and Infiniti?

I'm saying stick with what you've been doing, which is the short OCI.

Originally Posted by CT8
Why run syn?

In today's day and age I'd ask why wouldn't you? Compare the price difference for a lower priced "synthetic" and it doesn't make much sense (at leas to me) not too. And this isn't even acknowledging an SN or above rating is at least a synthetic blend to begin with.

Just me, tougher engines on oil go severe schedule and not so tough go longer. I NEVER thought I'd be comfortable with an extended OCI yet I do 10k on my 17 Subaru. BUT that 3.6 engine is also easy on oil. If I had the 2.5 NO WAY!!!

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr

Yes, the problem is fuel dilution and soot. Synthetic doesn't help that.

Hi,
In this case, the base oil makes a bigger difference than additives?
Cheers,
Iain.

I would stick to 5k OCI in your condition. That's if you plan to keep your cars for long enough to matter.

The 10 miles you both drive one way is a plus and I cannot think of a city in SC that I would consider as severe service. Long Island, NY would be a different story.

With doing a 5k interval, still run full synthetic or at this point between the price point of conventional and full syn does it really matter?
Originally Posted by ripcord
I usually split the difference and just run a 5K interval. Makes it easy to remember when I need to change it, too.

Back