Self Propelled Mowers

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good are the newer Honda mowers, looking at the HRR216VLA

It is self propelled rear drive with the battery start, 470$ at Home Depot

Currenty have a 10 yr old Ariens LS21 with discomatic drive, traction cable gave up the ghost, so replacement is like 40$.
So will fix it but probably get another new mower and have one as a spare.

Anyhow how is the long term durability of the Hondas?

I would buy another Ariens but they switched the design.

I have a front wheel drive mower and that would be my choice if I buy another. On front wheel drive if you need to stop just push the handle down a bit to disengage the front wheels from the lawn.

Agree … and I like change of direction with FWD. (wheels up and turning)
And just got a new Sears Craftsman … 7.25 Briggs … you could get it Honda powered for a sizable bump but why … got 10 years from the last Sears/Briggs and gave it away running fine …

I will highly suggest to see if there is a Honda Powersports dealer near you that sells mowers as your first choice if you buy a Honda. They should match the Home Depot price if needed.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
I will highly suggest to see if there is a Honda Powersports dealer near you that sells mowers as your first choice if you buy a Honda. They should match the Home Depot price if needed.
That's my suggestion as well. The nearby John Deere also sells Honda power equipment and they wiggled on the price to be closer to Home Depot but didn't match it. I was not expecting or wanting a 100% match either, just something a little better. They also had it ready to use and would have delivered it if I asked (we don't have a truck or even a minivan (anymore) that it would fit it in either. More importantly, they're the local authorized repair place and I asked what happens with HD-purchased Honda mowers when they come in for work vs if I buy mine from them. He told me "we'll work on yours before the others"
grin.gif
I appreciated his honesty !

While I agree about the benefits of FWD, I really like the durable, repairable, tried-and-true design of the classic Snapper friction disc drive.

Generally, the self propelled systems on the FWD's aren't exactly serviceable. They end up being the limiting factor of the mower's lifespan. The engines and decks usually outlast the self propelled transmission.

Considering mower design isn't exactly dynamic and the new ones aren't very different from the old ones, I'm not a fan of buying a new mower every 10-15 years.

Honda engines are great, and the mowers cut very well. The self-propel systems are not the best IMO. Many people love them and seem to have great luck, but the few I've had to repair for customers were VERY expensive. As in just get another mower expensive. If I bought a self propel mower it would be a Toro Personal Pace with a Honda or Briggs engine.

Originally Posted by emmett442
While I agree about the benefits of FWD, I really like the durable, repairable, tried-and-true design of the classic Snapper friction disc drive.

Generally, the self propelled systems on the FWD's aren't exactly serviceable. They end up being the limiting factor of the mower's lifespan. The engines and decks usually outlast the self propelled transmission.

Considering mower design isn't exactly dynamic and the new ones aren't very different from the old ones, I'm not a fan of buying a new mower every 10-15 years.

On the Toro FWD system you can find all the parts including the entire transmission for pretty cheap on ebay. Same for the Personal Pace models. My father has a 2007 Toro FWD Recycler and it has been great. We had to replace the front wheels because the tread was worn down, but other than that no issues with the FWD.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

On the Toro FWD system you can find all the parts including the entire transmission for pretty cheap on ebay. Same for the Personal Pace models. My father has a 2007 Toro FWD Recycler and it has been great. We had to replace the front wheels because the tread was worn down, but other than that no issues with the FWD.

I know there will be anecdotal evidence for the other side of the argument with zillions of mower models out there. My own: I have a 1990 model 21" Snapper that's cut a 3/4 acre lot on it's own since it was brand new. You aren't even half way there, yet, with your 2007 Toro!
laugh.gif

But as a general rule, the transmission is what disables and/or "totals" the mower. While FWD parts may be available on ebay or second hand, it's not common to be able to walk into your local parts house and buy replacement parts if it breaks during your Saturday morning mow.

A Snapper drive, however, can be completely disassembled and repaired in 15 minutes with 1/2" and 9/16" wrench and a needlenose pliers, and you can have parts in hand same day. In the rare event that it needs repair, of course.

In the OP's quest for durability, I think it's a fair point to make.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

I know there will be anecdotal evidence for the other side of the argument with zillions of mower models out there. But as a general rule, the transmission is what disables and/or "totals" the mower. While FWD parts may be available on ebay or second hand, it's not common to be able to walk into your local parts house and buy replacement parts if it breaks during your Saturday morning mow.

Definitely agree.

I also have worked on mowers for years, and I've only seen a few with transmission issues. Most of them were older RWD models. They are really pretty simple and unless abused hold up fairly well.

Originally Posted by fozzdesy2001
I would check out Toro. They have a nice selection this is like the one I have but mine is old. When it's time for a new walk behind I will get another Toro.

https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/walk-behind-mowers/21-personal-pace-21381

This is the model I have, love the personal pace, can't imagine going back to pulling a lever and is a great at mulching, If you are a bagger it does bag good as far as not leaving any clippings behind but it is a pain to empty.

Snapper, heavy, indestructible expensive

front wheel will NOT climb any hill.

The personal pace is good, but IMHO will NOT anywhere near outlast a snapper.

I know of one snapper that is on it second re-engine, had to have all new wheels several times, and the bearing under the self propelled disk once. The mower deck is still good as new.

Rod

Snapper, heavy, indestructible expensive, worth it. Find one used, re-engine if necessary, harbor freight works will. Other parts if needed are easy and available.

front wheel will NOT climb any hill.

The personal pace is good, but IMHO will NOT anywhere near outlast a snapper.

I know of one snapper that is on it second re-engine, had to have all new wheels several times and a belt and the bearing under the self propelled disk once. The mower deck is still good as new.

Rod

my hydrostatic drive honda is the best mower i ever owned IMO. its dual blades as they all are + direct large opening to the bag never clogs, thats never + rear drive for sure as the grass in the rear bag adds traction unlike FWD. the style you mentioned is great as well + a bargain, thats what my aunt has for over 5 years without issues, starts in one pull!

I have a Honda HRX217 and it's honestly the best mower i've ever owned. The twin blades and nexite deck are definitely worth spending money on. It mulches perfectly but what I really love is the fact that the underside of the deck is totally clean after mowing, even wet grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back