Self driving busses

The city where I work is aiming to employ self driving busses by 2026. These will ferry people from the parking lots at the edge of the city to the city centre and back. It will be small busses, about 15 seats each.

But they will be driving through regular traffic. Suppliers are being sought for the busses right now, in the first phase for 15 busses and testing would take place in 2025, I assume without passengers then.

Maybe the builders of the self driving busses should use them for their kids school busses as a pilot project.
Yeah really. We have had lots of problems with inadequate staffing lately.

But who would be there to yell at the kids to behave?

There are ongoing tests all across the country. Our local University has been testing an autonomous bus for the past 2 years:

1717348134785.jpeg

This has a good chance of working quite well. Buses would follow a fixed route repeatedly with a small amount of variability - passengers getting off and on, or not. Other traffic. Traffic lights. Pedestrians. Accidents or road repairs possibly requiring temporary route changes. Weather.

One deficiency is it wouldn't be able to deal very well with unruly passengers (which I saw one time, but only one time).

This has a good chance of working quite well. Buses would follow a fixed route repeatedly with a small amount of variability - passengers getting off and on, or not. Other traffic. Traffic lights. Pedestrians. Accidents or road repairs possibly requiring temporary route changes. Weather.

One deficiency is it wouldn't be able to deal very well with unruly passengers (which I saw one time, but only one time).
Well, we know the Vancouver Skytrain doesn’t have a driver and seems to function OK. Security wise that is.

Subways lack security and seem to work relatively

Subways don’t have much either for unruly passengers…

Back