Seen in local thrift store

Just after Pa passed away I bought a buzz saw powered by a John Deere upright 2 cylinder flathead. My brother in law gave me a couple cases of canned oil. It burned so much oil that every couple running hours I had to add oil and clean the plugs or it wouldn’t start. So, it was grab a can and the spout, fill up the oil, and clean the plugs. My son was learning about engines and on this occasion, I was getting a can of oil and told him to clean the plugs and DO NOT CROSS THE WIRES! I filled the oil and took a little break. My son comes running and tells me it’s good to go. So I go back to the saw and grab the crank to start it up. 1/2 a turn and boom! It had a straight pipe out of the manifold and when I was bent over to pull the crank, my head is right by the exhaust pipe. A fireball came out of that pipe and burned the fuzz off of my bald head! That oil spout reminded me of that story. All I did was look at my son and said you crossed the plugs, didn’t you. I wish I had a camera to record the look on his face.

Attachments

• update-international-co-35-bottle-opener.jpg
    update-international-co-35-bottle-opener.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 3
I am so old this what we used to dispense oil.......just kidding.
That was before my oil changing days, but I recall my dad occasionally using a similar one to measure out quarts from one gal.(?) Wolfs Head or Oilzum metal cans. 1950's, maybe early 1960's. I had much time later with the puncture spout method.

That was before my oil changing days, but I recall my dad occasionally using a similar one to measure out quarts from one gal.(?) Wolfs Head or Oilzum metal cans. 1950's, maybe early 1960's. I had much time later with the puncture spout method.

I remember growing up, my dad would just hold a dinosaur over the car and squeeze the oil out. No spout needed.

Used to have one in every car we owned. And a few in the garage. We kept losing them and bought about a dozen and had them everywhere. I think we had about 10 vehicles in one household back then. Cases of oil stacked in the garage too.

Working at the Mobil station I stabbed a million oil cans. The fun was slamming the empty can into the garbage can. I was faaaaast. I could cover the pumps and oil changes on the rack all day. Loved that job.

I think I pitched the 2 or 3 spouts I had in the trash when cans disappeared. I never really used them anyway.

For single cans, I use to use a large blade screwdriver and a funnel. For bulk filling, I used the large blade screwdriver and a 5qt. Swing-Spout.

I worked at an ARCO station in my teens and there were a number of these on the gas islands and in the bays. There was at least one dull one that would ruin your day by partially going in then crushing the can. I seem to remember the technique was to line it up and give it a quick firm stab. The owner was a salty old guy who you wouldn't dare tell one of the spouts was junk, kids just didn't know how to use it. Put in gas, clean windshield, check oil, that was the old days. Wonder how we knew what oil to use..
I did some of my after school and summer times pumping the gas and changing oil in the old Orange/Blue Gulf stations that seemed to be everywhere in the 1970s.

Back