Seen in local thrift store

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Wonder if AutoMechanic knows what it is and ever used one? :unsure:
IMG_2368.jpg

Ha-ha, oil can spouts too have a cutting edge which needs to be sharp.
Anyone remember the TV commercial which featured the young gal saying, "No more messy cans"?

How much did plastic bottles and jugs increase cost?
I remember 1 gallon Quaker State cans. ("You get more for your money at Two Guys....")
After watching me pierce and flip a gallon can my father suggested buying the quart cans.

I have one of those. I even have one where you put the can in, and it utilizes a lever to push the can down on the spout, which is contained inside a funnel.

I worked at an ARCO station in my teens and there were a number of these on the gas islands and in the bays. There was at least one dull one that would ruin your day by partially going in then crushing the can. I seem to remember the technique was to line it up and give it a quick firm stab. The owner was a salty old guy who you wouldn't dare tell one of the spouts was junk, kids just didn't know how to use it. Put in gas, clean windshield, check oil, that was the old days. Wonder how we knew what oil to use..

I am so old this what we used to dispense oil.......just kidding.
I remember seeing those in a Jupiter or Mars store when I was about 13 or 14, IIRC it was Oilzum brand. Now I just wrote this i realize it was more than 50 years ago.

Back