second car key

Hey guys here's my situation. A few months ago my ignition lock cylinder took a crap and I had it replaced with one from the same model and year car from a junkyard. That lock only came with 1 key. I been using this key by keeping one of my old keys on the same keyring for transmitter to work. My question is if I want a second key can I have any key cut to match my existing key as long as I keep using my old key on the same ring as I do now? Who would do this , hardware store, locksmith?

1998 honda CRV automatic.
Changed the ignition lock cylander with a junkyard one from same car. Been using the key it came with everyday wiyh success by keeping my old cylanders key on tne same keyring for transmitter to work. So now i want a second spare key. I assume if i had a key cut to match my existing key I could use it as long as i have the old cylander key on the same ring as I do now. Below are my keys. The larger one is what i put in the ignition the other one is my old key with the chip. Old key tricks transmitter to make other key work.
20210324_223922.jpg

the 0 effort option is just tape the key to the steering column
So if i get a dummy key cut i can use it as a spare by either taping it to the column like you said or keeping it on my key ring as i do now?

My guess is that you could copy the single key and it'd work as long as the original (chipped) key was either taped to the column or nearby. You should be able to get a $2 copy at your local Ace Hardware or similar; in this case you wouldn't need to pay for a chipped key since you don't actually want to replicate the chip in that particular key (it'll be strictly metal with no chip). I'd definitely try it for how cheap it should be.
(But you might, emphasis on the might, be able to have them copy the physical cuts from the donor key and the electronics from your original chipped key. If that can even be done, that'd be the most eloquent and expensive solution.)

My guess is that you could copy the single key and it'd work as long as the original (chipped) key was either taped to the column or nearby. You should be able to get a $2 copy at your local Ace Hardware or similar; in this case you wouldn't need to pay for a chipped key since you don't actually want to replicate the chip in that particular key (it'll be strictly metal with no chip). I'd definitely try it for how cheap it should be.
(But you might, emphasis on the might, be able to have them copy the physical cuts from the donor key and the electronics from your original chipped key. If that can even be done, that'd be the most eloquent and expensive solution.)
That's what I was thinking. Go to a hardware store or locksmith and just have a metal key made that matches my donor a d just have the old transmitter near. There no ace hardware store here because iam overseas but we have similar stores.

Back