Prepping car when taking it to the shop

Do you guys do anything to prep your car when someone else will be working on it?

Before turning over the keys to the shop, I do a few things

- Clear out the glovebox of registration + insurance cards and old invoices with my personal info on them.
- Remove EZ-Pass (toll transponder).
- Remove any loose change.
- Remove house key from key ring.
- Set headlight switch to OFF so auto lights don't turn on unnecessarily anytime the tech opens the door while in the shop.
- Don't set parking brake. Avoids the tech / porter dragging the rear brakes on the way into the shop because they forgot to release the parking brake.
- Leave wheel lock in an open area like the cup holder and let the guy checking me in know where it is.
- Make note of the mileage at drop off and pickup.

Last edited:
I rarely have other people working on our cars since they are pretty new. But I would clean inside and out as spotless as I can as close to the appointment. Then I can easily spot damage after the work.

Do you guys do anything to prep your car when someone else will be working on it?

- Clear out the glovebox of registration + insurance cards and old invoices with my personal info on them.
- Set headlight switch to OFF so auto lights don't turn on unnecessarily while in the shop.
- Don't set parking brake. Avoids the tech / porter dragging the rear brakes on the way into the shop because they forgot to release the parking brake.
- Leave wheel lock in an open area like the cup holder and let the guy checking me in know where it is.
Same and set the odometer to zero.

Odometer to zero can be redone...photo of current mileage is better.

House key off the ring.

The rest?

Reasonably clean. I don’t leave invoices in the glove box. They can have the change. They already have my address. Swiping my EZPass would be noticed.

- Set headlight switch to OFF so auto lights don't turn on unnecessarily anytime the tech opens the door while in the shop.
The last bullet point is critical. A close friend had to leave his car at the shop for several days (including weekend) for “ordered parts” to arrive. A technician drove it all weekend. He caught the issue because he took a picture of the odometer when he left his car in the service lane. It got ugly…

I take the house key off of the ring . I use local shops that I trust . Most of the time I'm in the waiting room .
Likewise, on all points. My car key is always separate from my other keys, so I just give 'em the car key.

I don't understand setting the odo to zero. My mileage is recorded when the car is checked in. The shop and I both know the mileage when delivered. Is your mileage not recorded when the car is delivered?

I keep my cars neat/tidy but always make sure they are before dropping them off/remove loose stuff etc. I don't take anything out like the toll transponder, loose change, etc. If that is a concern then I need to find another shop to use - is this really a concern? Since I don't have a house key/any keys on my vehicle key, just hand them it. Odo is noted on drop off (by me and on the paperwork) so not sure why anyone sets it to zero?

I keep my cars neat/tidy but always make sure they are before dropping them off/remove loose stuff etc. I don't take anything out like the toll transponder, loose change, etc. If that is a concern then I need to find another shop to use - is this really a concern? Since I don't have a house key/any keys on my vehicle key, just hand them it. Odo is noted on drop off (by me and on the paperwork) so not sure why anyone sets it to zero?
Yes the odo is noted on the paperwork. But I set the odo to zero as a reminder of how many miles ago the service was done. Easier than digging up the paperwork. But I don't visit the dealer much.

I rarely let any car get very dirty and the worst I get is a bit of dust or dirty floor mats. I regularly clean under the hood too, but I try to take a car as clean as possible for any type of work to reduce the chance of scratching the car.

I never had these issues but I would check under the hood for signs of rodents or damage. If signs of acorns or feces were noted but no visible damage I would vacuum them out to avoid the dealer creating issues that don't exist (yet)
Of course that needs to be addressed because damage will be done eventually.

Clear debris/belongings from the floor and the seats in case the interior requires disassembly for the repair.

Make sure there is at least 1/4 tank of fuel.

If taking the vehicle in for a programming event or any work that requires scan tool usage, make sure the battery is in good health or be prepared to be sold one.

If taking the vehicle in for a programming event or any work that requires scan tool usage, make sure the battery is in good health or be prepared to be sold one.
Tell the shop to put a charger or maintainer on it 🤣

Back