Found a bug in my F150's cruise control tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with notifying the NHTSA but have the dealer notify Ford also. I doubt that Ford would just stand by after the fines and bad publicity Toyota was hit with.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I'm dismayed there isn't a check valve on the vacuum supply to the brakes. Glad it worked out.

Was it bouncing off the rev limiter when you had it in neutral? Some cars only do a neutral rev limiter (below redline, at least) if speed < 5 mph.

Oh the engine was definitely redlining until I shut off the ignition. It was only a brief moment, though, since I expected it to happen and I wanted to minimize any damage.

I'll definitely report it to the NHTSA.

Question is, how do I report this to Ford? Do I just tell them about the incident? Do they have any incentive to try to brush me off or mask up the incident? (I don't believe they would, but you never know, so I'd rather retain some doubt).

Also, should I try to reproduce the problem before sending in my reports? I'd hate to cause a big frenzy and not be able to demonstrate what happened.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Why did it take you so long to shift it to neutral?

Exactly.

Sorry but anyone that posts on here knows enough, since many stories about the supposed runaway toyota's have been posted about for a long time now.

The first thing I would have done is look for a safe place to stop and then select neutral.

I have to say that this is yet ANOTHER great reason why a manual transmission is superior to any automatic.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Also, should I try to reproduce the problem before sending in my reports? I'd hate to cause a big frenzy and not be able to demonstrate what happened.

No. Just report it to the Feds and you can do it online at
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/defects/

Even if this is just a defect that only affects your truck. I would not like the responsibility of knowing this happened and you did not report it, only to read a story 6 months down the road and a similar pickup with a family in it had a problem with their accelerator but were not as fortunate as you.

Do not worry about making a fuss or facing ridicule. A lot wiser man than me is often telling me "what is right, is right". So if you do what is right and in this case is reporting a possible safety issue you have nothing else to worry about.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Why did it take you so long to shift it to neutral?

Exactly.

Sorry but anyone that posts on here knows enough, since many stories about the supposed runaway toyota's have been posted about for a long time now.

The first thing I would have done is look for a safe place to stop and then select neutral.

I have to say that this is yet ANOTHER great reason why a manual transmission is superior to any automatic.

I am sorry to break this to anyone who does not know this. Under extreme stress everyone reacts differently, if this happened to the OP again I am willing to bet he will take a different course of action. At least the OP avoided hitting someone or something. This is more than I can say for a lot drivers when in complete control of their vehicles.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I am sorry to break this to anyone who does not know this. Under extreme stress everyone reacts differently, if this happened to the OP again I am willing to bet he will take a different course of action. At least the OP avoided hitting someone or something. This is more than I can say for a lot drivers when in complete control of their vehicles.

Well said. We all think we can handle every situation until we are in that situation. I had liability only on my truck because I thought I was such a great driver that I would never wreck my truck myself. One day when I decided to test the limits of my truck I went beyond what I could handle and plowed it into a bunch of trees. Thankfully the officer understood and didn't ticket me even though I was obviously going way too fast. I still have the dents in the cab and bed which are pretty good reminders to keep it sane. This wasn't even the OP's fault or something he could have remotely anticipated. I think he handled it quite well considering nobody got hurt and there was no wreck.

FWIW, this is what real stupidity does....
IMG_1143.jpg

Me/the truck did $10,000 in damage before the trees stopped it. It knocked over a large concrete storm drain thing.

I was tuning a 500 hp 32 Ford that weighed about 2400 lbs last year. I was at a stop and womped on the gas in gear just for fun and the throttle stuck wide open! I'm glad my reflexes were quick and I hit the key, no amount of brakes could have stopped that thing.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Well said. We all think we can handle every situation until we are in that situation. I had liability only on my truck because I thought I was such a great driver that I would never wreck my truck myself. One day when I decided to test the limits of my truck I went beyond what I could handle and plowed it into a bunch of trees. Thankfully the officer understood and didn't ticket me even though I was obviously going way too fast. I still have the dents in the cab and bed which are pretty good reminders to keep it sane. This wasn't even the OP's fault or something he could have remotely anticipated. I think he handled it quite well considering nobody got hurt and there was no wreck.

FWIW, this is what real stupidity does....
IMG_1143.jpg

Me/the truck did $10,000 in damage before the trees stopped it. It knocked over a large concrete storm drain thing.

Sorry to hear about your story. But at least you were able to walk away. I am willing to bet in your situation you are not going to attempt this again.

[censored] no, never trying that again. Somehow the truck didn't even get knocked out of alignment. It needed a few body parts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back