searching for non turbo, non cvt, newish vehicle

need some help to refine my search. i will give my 2013 vw passat s to my younger son next year when he returns from overseas, transitioning from active army to reserves, to study for an mba. i like the passat well enough, its in fine shape, will meet his needs for two years.

now i need to get serious about looking for a replacement, either new or preferably recent cpo. yes i am aware that vehicles are in short supply and overpriced these days.

i do not want a turbo engine or cvt. i need a middling size sedan or suv, no pickup truck, no daily commuting as i am retired. so far toyota (camry, rav 4) and mazda (cx5 or 6) seem to be my only non turbo, non cvt choices. i am a frugal sort so tend to keep my vehicles awhile, but don’t skimp on proper maintenance.

so, besides toyota and mazda, what other makes should i be looking at for a reliable newish vehicle that i can keep for say 100k miles? my simple 2.5 five cylinder n.a. passat is fine at 104k miles. have the koreans gone full turbo and cvt? jeep cherokee, but should i be concerned about long term reliability?

please don’t advise that i should simply get used to a turbo and/or cvt; i’m just not doing it. thanks in advance for suggestions kind sirs.

2017-2018 Hyundai Elantras check all of the boxes. No turbos, no CVT, no GDI. It's the reason I bought one. I believe the 2019 also checks those boxes, but I'm slightly unfamiliar with the 2019. 2020s have CVTs. The older Elantras also fit the bill, but you said CPO...

If you want to go the SUV route, the 2017-2018 Tucsons have the same powertrain as the Elantras, but they unfortunately have GDI. Don't know if that's a deal-breaker for you or not.

The 2013-17 Accord has a CVT, but there are no problems with it. Smooth and seamless, and VERY easy to change the fluid on. Also, Honda doesn't play the "lifetime fluid" game and doesn't pretend anything is sealed for life. A non-turbo Honda is better than any VW :D

The Cruze 1.8L NA might work for you. There are non-turbo models, and no CVT in them either. Ford's Fusion also did not have a CVT, and there was a 2.5L NA base model.

There is nothing wrong with a CVT as long as it's not Nissan :p
Any non-Nissan CVT is better than a dual clutch DCT in traffic.

Is a manual transmission OK? It's not a CVT :sneaky:

Kia optima 2.4 in recent years. Last year they made the 2.4 was 2020, but all of them up to 2019 got a lifetime engine warranty with knock sensor software update. Engine runs great and my Ex is comfy. Great hwy mpg with good power and a 6 speed auto. Kia/hyundai have alot of choices that are not turbo.

The 2020 or 2021 Hyundai Kona has no turbo, GDi or CVT in most trims. (2022 has cvt 🙁)

Tucson and Sportage have GDI but no CVT or turbo.

Most Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima have a GDI 2.4L. No turbo and no CVT.

Also as mentioned the 2018 and 2019 Elantra do not have CVT, turbo or GDI.

Have you looked at cpo honda accords? The last generation had a manual and I'm fairly sure no turbo. BMW x3 no turbo and no cvt. Good luck with your search.
It’s been a long time since you could buy an X3 without a turbo. That actually goes for any BMW now. You can’t buy a new BMW without a turbo anymore.

Skip the Cherokee, the 9 speeds sometimes shift weird, my coworker and his wife both have Cherokee’s with the 3.2 V6 and 9 speed and love them but that’s a sample size of 2. The Grand Cherokee has the wonderful 8 speed but the 3.6 V6 has stop start.

I’d take a look at the CX-5, my parents recently got one (no turbo) and it’s very nice IMO.

VW Atlas VR6. It is most stout engine of all these SUV’s, easiest one to work on, Aisin transmission much better programmed than in Toyota.
Boss has the VR6 powered one, it's pretty darn nice and I especially appreciate the uncluttered interior, drives perfectly, great engine dynamics/sound too. Transmission shifts crisply, steering is nicely weighted and responsive. While I'm not an SUV guy, it's got good manners and I think that makes it worth considering.

Back to the interior, I despise overly complex "stylized" controls, with, for example, a curved row of buttons outlined in chrome, with a cursor control device/ pair of different sized chrome knobs below it, and undersized vents at odd angles. Call me "Mr. Basic" but I want things that are easy to find, grab and adjust. Things where form follows function. But what do I know?

Back