Seafoam experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have long used seafoam as a gas additive for small engines.
ALSO,I have used it through carbs and vaccum lines as a top end cleaner. We are giving it a shot in oil of a 96 Dodge 2.4. with 80,000 miles. It has had blow by since my son got it with 46K on it. It's highest consumption was on straight supertech at about 1.5 - 2 quarts per thousand miles. We have done one short solvent flush and with 10W 30 ST HM, and with STP it is down to .75-1 quart per 1000.

For giggles we put in 6 oz. of seafoam and will run it for 1000 miles and change out at 81 K. We will then run just straight 10W 30 HM and see what happens. No compression test, so I don't know if this will be of any value. It is a 1000$ car, so how bad could it be...........maybe I should not have said that.

Last edited:
Well here is an update. On my F150 Website there was a post of an e-mail from Seafoam Sales saying to run it between 50-200 miles, and the customer should monitor how "Dirty" their oil is.
Is this e-mail legit? There are no mileage limitaions on the can or on the web site. But I wimped out and drained the oil at 100 miles on the Seafoam. I put in Valvoline Max Life 10W-40 syn blend.

The oil ST 10w 30, STP, was NOT dark or watery with 2 K on it and 100 miles with seafoam. Color was good and the dang STP my son put in made the oil drain pan sticky. Apparantly STP trumps Seafoam! Seafoam is Naptha, pale oil? and alcohol per the MSDS.
I was worried it would turn my oil to kerosene and eat through the engine!! It apparantly is not that harsh a solvent. I have e-mailed the company to directly ask how long to leave it in. I will share any response.

The view inside the oil cap is spotless, and I saved the filter and am draining it now. I will cut open and inspect and post.
I will post oil consumption after 1000 miles.

p.s. I did a Seafom cleaning through the intake. I was disappointed I was not able to fog the whole neighborhood for bugs! Mild white cloud after letting it sit 10 minutes. Throttle response seems crisper and maybe the idle smoothed out.

Last edited:
Its not a harsh cleaner. The seafoam will likely vaporize away well before 1000 miles. Ive seen several people use it without draining it that reported no problems, only improvements. B12 is stronger and cheaper. Neither are both o2 sensor & cat converter safe so I wont use them in my vehicles anymore, only in my lawn equipment.

Btw the only cleaner that Ive been able to find thats both o2 sensor & cat converter safe is Amsoil PI.

Seafoam explicitly states on their website that it is both o2 and cat safe. Used it many times with no problem.

Now B12 on the other hand killed an 02 sensor in my pops truck.

Last edited:
I ran a can of B-12 and 4 qt's of rotella 15w40 for
20 miles in my '99 chevy P/U keeping the PRM's low and
no o2 problems,but boy you should have seen the [censored] in the
oil filter,that stuff cleans!!!

I used B-12 in an old Audi with 200k. I dumped it in the crank case and drove it for about 40 miles giving it the "italian tune up" Very high revs and lots of high temps.
Upon draining, the oil was pitch black. It really does clean the heck out of it.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
I used B-12 in an old Audi with 200k. I dumped it in the crank case and drove it for about 40 miles giving it the "italian tune up" Very high revs and lots of high temps.
Upon draining, the oil was pitch black. It really does clean the heck out of it.

yup B-12 is good stuff

This is a seafoam experiment Mikeg5. Hence the title. Arx is good stuff but we are trying to determine the effectiveness of seafoam

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
why not just use ARX?????? much much much much better for the crankcase than seafoam.. seafoam sucks in the motor..

Well with that technical analysis, I really should stop this experiment right now! But I want to prove to it myself. The ARX cult here is probably right, and I will be the first to say so if ARX works where these did/may not. But I want to see for myself, and these are inexpensive vehicles with little risk to them. More importantly, I have been married 25 years and need excuses to get out of the house.

BTW, I am no chemist, but have been wrenching on anything that burns fossil fuels for 30 years. I believe the consumption is through the rings as it started with low miles. The products claim to clean enough for the rings to seat. We will see. My guess is NONE of the additives will work, and if it was worth it
a rebuild will be required. It is not worth it, unless my son wants to go through the experience with me as a "learning moment"

Seafoam sales promptly answered my request for instructions. I appreciate their responsiveness.

Instructions from Seafoam Sales:

1. As a pre cleaner in old oil and run it 30 to 100 miles
then change the oil.

2. After an oil change (fresh oil), but to monitor your oil as
it will get dirtier faster than your ususal OCI.

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
Seafoam sales promptly answered my request for instructions. I appreciate their responsiveness.

Instructions from Seafoam Sales:

1. As a pre cleaner in old oil and run it 30 to 100 miles
then change the oil.

2. After an oil change (fresh oil), but to monitor your oil as
it will get dirtier faster than your ususal OCI.

I guess I'll chime in, I have a volvo, and as a lot of you know these turbo bricks sludge oil if not careful.

I'd been running pp5w30 for about a year and a half, decided seafoam in the crankcase would be a good experiment. First thing I noticed after about 200km (a 120ish miles), was how jet black the oil had become. Good or bad, I'm not sure, but I can attest to the fact that the oil had indeed changed colour.

Ineffectiveness of Seafoam and B-12 is what drove me to seek alternatives. I really LOVE B-12. It's a lot stronger than Seafoam. Whenever I have hand cleaned stuff with it, Stuff that I can wipe clean after a minute or two with Seafoam can sometimes be cleaned just by splashing B-12 on it!

But I be darned if, at least IN MY ENGINE, it didn't noticeably clean my deposits. I know y'all don't want that other stuff mentioned, so I won't. But I will say I was plesantly surprised when I used it.

Wait, your not supposed to put B12 in the crankcase? I have a few cans, and belive i says NOT to do that. I used B12 as a flush few years ago, but, the engine was still hot...95 plymouth neon. Upon pouring the can in, heard weaird noises coming form the engine inside... like metal was cracking or someting.
I am doing htis same experiment Cmarti is doing right now. Did my oil change last week, and pooured about 6 ozs. of seafoam in a 4.5 quart sump. I am using the old oil filter thoguh, as it only has 750 miles on it.. bosch. I am using castrol 5w30 syntec.

what i can tell you is, so far, it seems the seafoam acts as a lube for the pistons.. engine quieted down, and runs alot better. Not sure i would run this every 3 month oil change though.
Oh!! Waas i Cmarti, who said he idnt fog the neighborhood up? lol. I also did my combustion chamber cleaning last week... Use the brake booster to intake line..i made the mistake last week, of spraying seafoam deepcreep into the throttle body..nothing happened really. So i sprayed half the can into the brake booster line..smoked everything up goo;) Throttle body is not a good place to do effective combustion chamber cleaning, i learned. I also used about 24 oz. of distilled water via the booster line.

Originally Posted By: ziggy
Oh!! Waas i Cmarti, who said he idnt fog the neighborhood up? lol. I also did my combustion chamber cleaning last week... Use the brake booster to intake line..i made the mistake last week, of spraying seafoam deepcreep into the throttle body..nothing happened really. So i sprayed half the can into the brake booster line..smoked everything up goo;) Throttle body is not a good place to do effective combustion chamber cleaning, i learned. I also used about 24 oz. of distilled water via the booster line.

Brake booster line it is this weekend, I really want to upset my neighbors! Seriously, Even without clouds of smoke, it has smoothed out the choppy idle in the stratus. I may leave the Stratus alone, but try it through the Intrepid brake line. Any O2 sensor issues out there?

I am still not sure what if anything is accomplished through the crankcase. I will check for consumption this weekend. My kid should have about 500 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Ineffectiveness of Seafoam and B-12 is what drove me to seek alternatives. I really LOVE B-12. It's a lot stronger than Seafoam. Whenever I have hand cleaned stuff with it, Stuff that I can wipe clean after a minute or two with Seafoam can sometimes be cleaned just by splashing B-12 on it!

Brian, B12 is some solvent! I am not even sure I want it in the fuel tank anymore, with plastic injectors and fuel pumps sitting in the tank I wonder if it has some effect on components. I guess it is diluted enough with the gas to do no harm.

The engine I am dealing with had blow by issues when purchased at 45000 miles, so my bet is a mechanical problem beyond any additive. (Even though it runs great) ARX will be the next step. Hopefully, by the end of the year, I will have ancedotal observations of STP, Seafoam, ARX, and maybe less/no consumption.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Seafoam explicitly states on their website that it is both o2 and cat safe.

They say it cleans cat converter odors but its only labeled as o2 safe. Exact info copied from their site:

Quote:
SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase

Cleans fuel injectors
Cleans carburetor jets
Cleans carbon
Stabilizes fuels
Upper cylinder lube
Removes moisture in fuel
De-icer
Frees sticky lifters
Frees sticky rings
Removes moisture in oil
Cleans P.C.V. systems
Cleans catalytic converter odors
Oxygen sensor safe

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors
With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area.
FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.

For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles

A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.
Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.
Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.
Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.
Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.
Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered.
When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor

Cleans carbon build up
Cleans intake valves and pistons
Gives smoother idle
Cleans catalytic converter odors
Cures hesitations and pings
Restores power and pickup
With warm engine running, SLOWLY pour 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.
For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.
Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast.
When Added to Crankcase (Oil)

Frees sticky lifters and rings
Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression
Cleans dirty parts
Removes moisture
Cleans PCV valve systems

One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank
Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets
Cleans carbon as you drive
Lubricates upper cylinders
De-ices and removes moisture
Diesel full conditioner and anti gel
Stabilizes fuel
One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines

Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back