Seadoo jet drive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new 2002 Seadoo GTI (2 cyl. Rotax) and would like to know what oil to use in the jet drive when I change it at the end of the season (book calls for synthetic but is not very specific). Also, since I am new to the jet ski world, how hard is it to do this service? Ya gotta take a lot of stuff off to remove the housing cover, but still looks like it would be a straightforward job. Any help is greatly appreciated.
cheers.gif

Most Sea Doo people would recommend a good synthetic gear oil such as Mobil-1 which is what I use on my GTX Limited.

Anyway, the specific recommendation from my 99 owner's manual recommends a 75W90 GL5 Polyolester Oil. There are cheaper versions of this than the Sea Doo brand. Save the money and use it on gas.

Ted

[ May 07, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
Just got a new 2002 Seadoo GTI (2 cyl. Rotax) and would like to know what oil to use in the jet drive when I change it at the end of the season (book calls for synthetic but is not very specific). Also, since I am new to the jet ski world, how hard is it to do this service? Ya gotta take a lot of stuff off to remove the housing cover, but still looks like it would be a straightforward job. Any help is greatly appreciated.
cheers.gif

I just picked up a 96 model seadoo gtx with the trailer and cover for 500.00 . I've not looked into it yet as I got to get a starter for mine but I will be changing out all of the fluids in mine with of course schaeffers.

One thing you might want to watch for if you're like me, new at this, do not put water into the engine hook up before starting your engine. You start the engine then hook up the water line. When you go to shut it down, turn water off, then shortly after, turn engine off. The water somehow can get into the head/engine area and cause problems if you turn the water on first then crank it up.

cletus doesn't your manual have a more specific recommendation than that? What weight do they say? That should always be a starting point for any fluid decision.

Piloteer: "my '99 owner's manual recommends a 75W90 GL5 Polyolester Oil."

Polyolester oil you say?
confused.gif

*cough* Red Line *cough*

wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Yeah, I guess Redline would work. They usually recommend a change every 50hrs or once a season. So a good quality oil is worthwhile here.

I'll tell you this, almost anything will be cheaper than the Sea-Doo brand pump oil. I felt stupid! One bottle of Mobil Gear Oil will last my brother and me two years easy for less money than the company brand for one year (and very likely a better oil, too)

Anyway, to try and answer Cletus' question about how hard it is too change-- It isn't. If you do a forum search over at Sea-doo.net you WILL find virtual step-by-step instructions. And if you don't, there will be others more knowledgeable than I to help out.

Just remember when filling the cone back up to wait a couple minutes-shake the boat-fill-wait-shake the boat, etc until all the air is out and it's filled to the top.

Ted

I'm going to reseach this a little more myself as I have the same exact recommendations in my shop manual for mine.

Of course, I myself like the schaeffers 267 gear oil as it has anti corrosion abilities that I have proven out personally as well as the climbing / clinging and the moly. and schaeffers costs a whole lot less.
grin.gif

blano, I thought it odd too. Maybe the unit is sealed so tightly, corrosion isn't a problem? Must be SOME reason they stipulated polyol.
dunno.gif

And if they stipulate POE, One brand name is head and shoulders among all others.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Thanx for all the replies. It does, upon closer examination or the owners manual, state 75W-90 syn. The dealer wants 160 bux to do this "once a year" service, and from what I can see, the jet drive oil change is the most important thing they do. There is only one carb, so synchronization isn't an issue. I can't really see any more maintenance than that. But anyway, the Seadoo runs like a scalded dog and is lotsa fun.
cheers.gif
grin.gif
cheers.gif

The Sea Doo jet pump is supposed to be sealed completely. If it's not, and water does get in the cone-- well that would be bad for the Sea Doo.

I'm glad you got the Doo. The hulls are great! Have fun Doo-in' it!

Ted

Probably the pump gets alot of thrust loads and the oil gets hot .I'm sure if SeaDoo recommends an oil type I'd go with it . Bror I must correct you its Red *cough* *cough*Line
tongue.gif

I have been using M1 synthetic gear oil in the pump since 1994 in my SeaDoo's. I have had great luck with it. The pump on my 1994 GTS has not needed an overhaul, the only time it comes apart is for an impeller change.

My SPX pump has also performed as well, however that pump had more trouble due to the large number of hours (about 1000) and a few seasons of weekend racing. Never had any corrosion problems with the internal bearings or shaft. However the seal did fail a couple of times. That is most likely due to sand and abuse. Still the internals were perfect.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back