Scraped mirror....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I scraped the side of my house with my mirror. What's the best way to get rid of scrapes on plastic mirror?

Thanks.

-

Well once the body shope knows what the material is they can use a two part epoxy to fillin the scratchs. Then you sand , spray bonding agent and paint. The old school way is to use a plastic welder then bonding agent sand and paint. If the scratchs are shallow enough you could sand them out. Then spary your bonding agent and paint.

I had a hard time telling how deep the scratches are from the photo.

The mirror is not painted. It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with the non-painted black mirrors. Sorry for the lousy photo(phone cam). My house is brick and I scraped it against that as I was turning into my driveway. The scrape is not deep but I guess you can imagine the type of scratch when scraped against a brick wall. Maybe I should use a 150-200 grit sand paper then follow that up with a polish or wax?

If the material is black all the way through, I would just sand the worst of the scratches out and smooth it out with finer and finer sand paper until the gloss is about right. Use rubbing compound if you have to.

Ditto that. If it's solid color, you could probably sand it out. Make sure you use fine sand paper, like 1000 plus grit and just concentrate on the rough surfaces.

Only use water with sand paper marked wet or dry, usually 320 or finer. Others are not waterproof.

A more automotive oriented place may be better than Lowes. If the mirror was matte finished, you may not need to go to 1000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back